Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whoes running turbo small blocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham M, Jul 6, 2011.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What's really interesting about the Mallicoat Bros. Willys is they were pushing 580 HP from their SBC with a 6-71 blower, then the twin turbos boosted it to 720 HP! Quite a lot of HP from a SBC in 1965.

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

I think so...

Here is a pic of a unblown one, with the same kind of intake ports.

crowersbchev5fl.jpg

3. brandon

brandon

Wonder if the intake arrangement was for aerodynamics or...? Guessing with forced induction head flow wasn't as important ....

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Maybe better flow, because the pushrods arent in the way on that side.

5. Dyce

Dyce

It gives the intake port a better angle to the valve seat. Sure puts the exhaust close to the injectors and lines!!

Edit: "Maybe better flow, because the pushrods arent in the way on that side" and that too

6. Yes that is Bruce Crowers design of the intake and exhaust ports on the outboard side of the head. If I remember correctly the engine was 209 C.I., and made 850 H.P. TR

7. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

I'm working on a twin turbo 302, blow through holley set-up. all mechanical should be good for 500hp at the crank

8. LabRat

LabRat

It's a good discussion , one best had around the corner at http://www.dogfightmag.com/

Same horsepower addicted people , less traditional constaints ....

Many guys running turbo's ....

9. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Was the mallicaot maroon? or blue?.... hell what color is it?

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Yes, but this is proof that they were used as hot rod applications back then.. They're not as modern as people think.

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

Not Hot Rod or automotive, but some interesting Info anyway:

The WWII fighter plane P38 Lightning had a version of a Turbocharger.

B17turbofuelcell007-vi.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

12. On a street truck with a SBF type Dart block engine, I helped build header/twin turbo manifolds from 1 1/2 ID stainless thick wall tubing straights and 90 bends. Twin Garrett T-3 turbos, electronic Bosch fuel injection.
    What I took from the lesson is to use stainless steel thick tubing to keep exhaust in control as it feeds the impeller, and to keep the length short too. Too big of a turbo will have lag and too big of port exit tubing size will cause the same.
    The fuel and ignition control was from an outfit from Memphis TN. Uses GM air idle motor, throttle valve, MAP sensor, etc. It uses four ignition coils that have two high side plug wire terminals because if in a SBC, 1 and 6 would have fire at the same time because it uses firing on the exhaust stroke to help with the unburnt fuel to make the turbo work harder. Aeromotive big ass electric fuel pump, an intercooler, lot of 3" stainless air and exhaust plumbing, lot of braided oil and fuel control lines.
    It is still a learning experience for me, and I helped the guy build some of it. I still learn as I think through why some systems work better than others based on turbo placement and control of exhaust heat and velocity that really makes turbos work.
    Listen to a Class 8 truck starting to go up a grade, and think about engine load and exhaust temp changes based on fuel and air supply, and you will understand part of how turbos work best. It's not based on engine RPM, engine load creating heat and velocity make them work.
    And forgot the last part, this project was not built like a store bought bolt in kit/paint by numbers. The vast majority of this project was hand fabbed. If anybody wants, I'll do the hokey pokey to mssg or post pics of what my friend wanted and what I helped some with.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  13. ramaro

ramaro

I think the b-17 radial engines had some form of turbo supercharging as well. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to see a hot rod with an old school looking turbo system (ie. no ceramic coating, mechanical pumps, injection, mild-steel tubing, etc.). Not strictly traditional, but cool in a retro-futuristic Tom Swift sort of way. I love the complexity of those WWII engines with all the external plumbing and mechanisms.

14. The Mallicoat Willys was blue. The brothers are still at it, and they currently race a AA/Gas late '60s Cuda that is badass. Jerry and Gary are in their early '70s and still at it. Somebody else drives the car, but they still do all the wrenching. Awesome!
    http://www.aagasser.com/mallicoat.htm

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Interesting that they're in a late 60's Cuda again! When they retired the turbo Willys to go to college they sold the body and gave Isky the turbo setup to use in testing. After college they came back to racing with a late 60's AA/GS Cuda.
    Wonder if this one is by chance the same car they had back then?

16. brandon

brandon

Pretty sure chassis is current....it was a fastmofo .

17. Because I can

Because I can

My turbo'd 355 SBC . . . yes, that is also a 6-71

_MG_7433.jpg

It took me lots of research and trial and error, but it's finally dialed in. Love it!

18. I had an OT LS1 + a YSi Trim, and then swapped over to to a GT47-88 T6. The latter combo was much much hotter under the hood of the car.

19. ^^Yeah, that's the biggest drawback to a turbo. It heat-soaks everything under the hood. Years ago, the wife had an OT Jap turbo car (Eclipse), and it used to get so hot under the hood that you couldn't grab the hood's prop rod without burning your hand.

The STS rear-mount turbos are a clever idea, but it's not the most efficient set-up.

20. what the hell engine is under all that 355 seams small for all that boost