Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who wrote the rules???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hatch, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am curious to hear K-Members take on this...

2. k-member

k-member

50 Fraud, those ARE the rules! Been following them so long they have become habits.

Rules are for ball games, Hot-Rods are for burnin rubber!
    Or DIG OUTS as granny calls em..

3. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

The rules are written by the RULERS.

Every once in awhile a Ruler comes along and creates something truely special.
    Then the followers get all faggy over it and make it gay.

Some dudes set the bar, others fall short.

That's where the rules come from.

Seems that the coolest cars don't follow rules, they make them.

You guys are confusing Rules with Guidelines.

4. Germ

Germ

[ QUOTE ]
    The rules are written by the RULERS.

Every once in awhile a Ruler comes along and creates something truely special.
    Then the followers get all faggy over it and make it gay.

Some dudes set the bar, others fall short.

That's where the rules come from.

Seems that the coolest cars don't follow rules, they make them.

You guys are confusing Rules with Guidelines.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would BE "HELLFIRE"

GERM

5. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Who wrote the rules? .... I did for my cars and you did for for your cars. That's the way it should be. When I decided what I wanted my 37 to look like I knew a lot of people wouldn't like it. That it would be too "rough" looking. I built it anyway cause I really didn't give a shit about what anyone else thought. What mattered to me was to build what I liked. Would I do it different now that I've seen those reactions.... HELL NO [​IMG]

6. Sailor

Sailor

"The Code isnt actual rules, but more to be considered like guidelines"
    Captain Barbossa... [​IMG]

7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

1. Build it
    2. Drive it
    3. Enjoy it.

8. So far it's 50Fraud in the lead [​IMG]

9. hatch

hatch
    from house

Thanks Denise...seems my brain might be afffffffected by the years of paint fuuuuummes... [​IMG]

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Rules suck, I emulate some aspects of others ideas, I think we all do that in some instances. Otherwise we wouldn't think wide whites or old mills were cool.These combinations are what my vehicles is.. along with my own creations and affordable solutions. After that you all can bite me if you don't like it. [​IMG] You guys spend too much time worrying about pleasing one another. Please yourself and your family. That's the only important things I know of...

11. CruZer

CruZer

There aren't any rules,just pressure to conform with everybody else.If there were rules we'd all be building and driving the same car. So just relax and do your own thing.Who cares what others think???? AND..... we don't need no friggin' rule book.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Not to be a smart ass...but why do you worry about some imaginary rules? It seems to me that you are the one that wants to conform. You are aware of some rules that bug you. If you are truely doing your own thing, you aren't aware of what other people are doing or thinking. What other people think isn't important. Expressing you own ideas and building your car your way is all that counts. If you are worried enough to start this post, then you must be concerned about "The Rules". We all want our efforts to be appreciated by others. The others are going to have to appreciate what I like. If they don't...oh well [​IMG]

Don't take offence. Just my observation.

Like my tag line says... Them that know(what I'm doing) understand...Them that don't ...who cares (GFY)

13. hatch

hatch
    from house

I am not worried about the rules, I've been breaking them all my life(ask my teachers, employers, friends, military superiors)....I just thought it was a bunch of bullshit for Hotroddrummers truck to get so much flack from the same bunch that idolizes Rudys truck. Some on this board are living by double standards.

I've always built things with wheels that satisfy me and not to please some elitist group. I love cars and creativity excites me...not conformity....and it just seems that conformity (narrow minds) is getting popular today...for example....new harley riders...rat rods....special events for "correct" hotrods..etc...seems kinda silly.....gonna be 78 degrees today...roadster weather.

14. 30roadster

30roadster

i'm going to run a hydraulic clutch with a toploader transmission on my mercury flathead.....probably going to have an electronic ignition....i have no use for a generator....I like other paint colors besides flat black..... and sin or all sins... I hate rockabiliy... BUT...I love the rat rods...I love split wishbones, rusty tin...and banjo axles....re-creating patina..for other guys... not me... I'm making an old "style" hotrod with some of the modern good stuff on it...I'll try to hide alot of it...but it will be there.....anyone going to say i can't park next to them at a rod run?

15. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

make em' up as you go along...
    build what you like,not what everyone else wants you to like.
    anyone can restore a vehicle,but,
    it takes a real man to cut one up!
    just don't let the restorers figure out what you are up to,or you'll never find any stock.

16. haring

haring

Anyone who builds a hot rod or custom risks building a car that is only liked by one person.

The fact is, most people will hate your car for any number of reasons. The truth is that most people don't even like each other, so why should they like each other's cars?

Personally, I build vehicles with classic design because I know that it works. I try to emulate something timeless rather than timely. For me, a car that still looks good ten years later is successful.

Rules? Sure, there are rules -- for everything. You can see them as a contraint, or as creative framework.

17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

My car has paint, but will not have a full interior.

It will have a new top, but the suspesion is the same as it was 44 years ago when rooded origianlly.
    It's not a rat rod., it's not a street rod.

My paint also has some dust, and orange peel, so it's not a show rod.

The front axle is chrome, but the frame and floor is undercoated.
    What category does it fall in? I don't care.

Will real street rodders think it's junk? Maybe.

Will rat rodders think it's a street rod? Maybe.

Will it matter?

18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

bobbleed has it nailed...WFO.

19. Enuff....

Think I'll just get the roadster out of the garage and go somewhere.
    Anywhere.

Is that against the rules?

20. I wasn't here when the rules were written, but the jist of it back then same as today was/is run what ya brung.

The basic rule for a Hot Rod is lotsa zot and little weight.

Some things got changed for asthetic reasons, and others got changed for go fast reasons. A lot of what ya saw on the street was done to get the look of a go fast dry lakes racer in the beginning. Some streeters were go fast dry lakes racers,or dragsters in later years, on the weekend.

There were full on customs also, but they never pretended to be racers.

People started to stylize what they had according to what they deemed cool (I think cool didn't come around 'til the beatnik era). And that was where the rules started.

Something that you should bear in mind, Patina, or Fautina is for a resurected ol' wreck or a copy there of. Primered rods were never finished rods. There wasn't a whole lot of money back in the day, and paint and interior was last on the list. You dropped your cash on the drive train, and someday when you had the bucks paint and interior would follow. It normally didn't, until someone else with cash (gold chainer?) got hold of it. Some things never change.

Even a lot of the guys that raced didn't have the bucks to finish their rides out so they raced on the weekend, and worked at what ever during the week (my Ol' Man called 'em Pork'n'Beaners). Nobody notices your paint from behind, or pays attention when your setting records.

Normaly if you saw a truck with a shop logo on the door it was not in patina form, at least not in the beginning. It was a rolling advertisement, and dressed for success. Perhaps after years of use, the paint would get worn. They usually weren't Hot Rods, they were work horses.

My general rule of thumb has always been build it the way you want to, and let the chips fall where they may. Do you suppose that Roth or Barris cared about trends? No they were trend setters. Erson and Iskenderian were the same, they were also called Rebels.

I got a friend, an old guy (as in older than me) that builds just the way he did in High School (the late'50s) and here's his take on it, "If you don't like my car go look at someone elses, there are a thousand other rides out there."

Personaly I think primered rods are cool, but I don't have anything against shinney paint either. If you're shootin for a specific look than you gotta do your reserch. The rules are set by the period or ride your trying to recreate.

Right now I'm kinda stuck in the late '50s early '60s so those are the rules I try to follow. Did I mention that I'm not very good at rules? [​IMG] I get trapped between custom and hot rod, I've always been a go fast junky. I guess I take after the Ol' Man.

You can bet if you see me in primer, its 'cause I haven't got around to painting yet. And you can all do me a favor, if you catch me runnin' hoops remind me that its a stolen car. [​IMG] [​IMG]

if it don't make ya dirty it aint yours [​IMG]

21. =mike=

=mike=

[ QUOTE ]
    "The Code isnt actual rules, but more to be considered like guidelines"
    Captain Barbossa... [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sailor , for you to quote a pirate movie , in relation to a hotrod argument about rules , is amazing ! well done my friend [​IMG]

22. RC

RC

Rules we don’t need no stinking rules!

23. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

The RULES:
    Anything from Michigan is GAY

Anything not from MI or CA is Bisexual

Anything from California is RULER

[​IMG]

24. Yeah, I've questioned these things myself. Why use old technology when we have new more reliable stuff to work with?

It's simple for me: Nostalgia. I like old stuff. I like old cars, old houses, old movies and surly old over-opionated people. I like a lot of stuff the way it used to be, not the way it is.

The rarity of a 50's era rod or kustom and era specific parts (whether it be the "real" thing or a copy) are well worth using that old and less reliable equipment.

Old shit is cool. New shit is boring. Point blank.

25. As long as you paid your (hard earned) money you can do what you want with your car. Make billet show car, a traditional hotrod or a hen house out of it. It's always the ones that don't have done anything with their cars or don't even have one who are moanin about other peoples stuff. Useless to talk any further........

26. Hatch;you're just tryin' to start trouble again.Now look what you went and did:got these nice people all upset!FOR SHAME!
    Ray

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ask these guys, they RULE!!

[​IMG]
    some of Fat Hack's art from another post.

Fat Hack, 50 Fraud, Kmember and most of you get it.

It aint no big deal,

do it your way and hang with them that see it like you do.

uh, or not..

Paul

28. jdubbya

jdubbya

I think Fab32 hit the nail on the head.

29. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

A few years back a bunch of us old farts got together
    on Wednesday nights to work on one of our rides, didn't
    matter which one, we became known as the over the hill gang.
    We set these three rules;
    Rule # 1 There are no rules.
    Rule # 2 refer to rule # 1
    Rule # 3 refer to rules 1 and 2.

Worked great

30. beatnik

beatnik

Nobody's rules it's all personal preference.

I don't like it when people pick a part car either, but as sure as I just said that, I'm sure tonight I'l be parked on Main Street sitting on the trunk of my car picking apart at least one car that drives through with my buddies. It's human nature. That's why you have to build what you're going to be happy with and screw everyone else. No Rules