Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Who works stainless trim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by babblewon, Nov 17, 2018.

1. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

I’m in Northern California, specifically the Bay Area and need some stainless trim worked. I’m going to shorten some bel air trim and want the door swing indent at the end put back in. Thought about going for it myself, but don’t really want to ruin it....
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Go for it. I have teaching myself how to do it and it's not to bad.
    Got an anvil and hammers from Eastwood and a few banged up beauty rings and started practicing.
    Watched a few vids on youtube and borrowed my friends "how to restore trim" book.
    I have made great progress in a short time.
    Chappy

VANDENPLAS, mad mikey and egads like this.
  3. I've been doing my own too. I make up blocks from phenolic plastic, HF makes a nice buffing wheel set and has the polishing compounds. If you can get some scrap stuff, practice on that.

mad mikey likes this.
  4. oldsman41

oldsman41

I did iton my 41 olds cause I couldn’t find any thing to replace a couple of pieces. With a little practice you should be fine.

5. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

mad mikey likes this.
  6. THERE IS A BOOK OUT ON THIS TOPIC,,WRITTRN BY JEFF LILY...DO A SEARCH...

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

It's only metal!

8. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

I guess I’ll try it haha
    I shortened the belt molding trim, but it was just a matter of using pliers to bend a 90* edge back. Was thinking a wood buck to match the shape and then hammer it in... I have a buffing wheel set up already.

9. F&J

F&J

I used 37 Ford hood trim cut down on my inside door panels. I used silver solder to cap the cut ends. It looks fine, but an exterior end might show a slight color difference as it's in sunlight where it might show more? IDK

I thought years ago I read where you can use the extra stainless as a filler rod with a torch, but I don't know if flux is needed..but you could try it out on junk pieces.

10. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Cut them and tig welded them up. Little hammering and sanding, then buffed. Turned out pretty decent. Not terrified of stainless trim anymore haha

Attached Files:

Saxman and F&J like this.
  11. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I seen a guy that made a patterns from wood to fit the piece he was working on and he would put them in his drill press. Used a soft wooden block under it and he would start pressing on them a little at a time until it was straight.

12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

With a drill press? Hmmm I need trim made for my 1938 Plymouth Truck. The wheels are turning...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app