Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who wants a 1963 Mercury Meteor... for FREE??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow Monster, that is pretty awesome. Good luck making the decision!!

2. fiveonechevy

fiveonechevy

Cool car and very cool idea, especially nowadays when money's tight for a lot of us. It looks like you got a pretty good setup at your house, but if you need any help transporting or whatever i would be honored to help (i'm in N. Portland).

3. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

That's an awesome thing to do. When I saw pics of the dash, I immediately thought Redi-Rad. On top of that, I kinda like the car myself. It was the first model car I built. I will donate a drawing of of the Merc to the recipient.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  4. RDR

RDR

Excellent,Monster...thanks for the clarification....we're all watching for the outcome !:D

5. JimSwann

JimSwann

Ill donate a SBF std. trans bellhousing, clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel and pedal assembly (brake and clutch with MC) to the person or persons that get the car. They may want to swap it to a 3-5 speed trans.

6. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

awesome idea! i would kill for this thing, the wife and i have been looking for a classic car to be our first family car. could get rid of our monthly payment and actually put the money towards something cool and worth working on. plus my little girl frankie would love to grow up in a kick ass custom!

7. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

I would love to have this car... and I am close enough to come get it. Ive been out of work for the past year due to health problems but still go on CL and drool over the old iron I wish I could buy. I have had my fair share of project cars (all OT and FWD) and this is actually would fall into the category of what I would be looking for. I have a step daughter who is 7, and we plan on having more kids so a 4 door would be great. My grandfather that passed when I was 4 (where I get the car gene from) drove nothing but Mercury's, and ford trucks. I would love to have mercury! It looks clean enough I wouldn't have to work on it to much to be able to take the wife and daughter out for a sunday cruise, with my health problems I just cant do things like I use to, and I am 26. The stuff I couldn't do, I have a great group of friends that would be more then willing to help me. My dad has a pickup and trailer, and I know he would gladly haul this thing home for me.

I don't know how you are going to decide who to give the car too, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to be in the running, I want a classic so bad it hurts! Also, it WOULD NOT end up with flat black paint and red wheels, PROMISE!

*Edit*
    I missed the post asking for some info so here it is.

I live in Prosser WA, I am about 3 hours away. I have access to a pickup and trailer and transporting it would not be a problem at all.

What would I do with it if it was mine? Until I have drove something for a while I really don't know for sure, but this is what I would do at first. Get it running and get it SAFE. You said you have a decent 302/c4 and I would probably swap that into it to get it running. Next would be to go over the brakes and make sure everything is up to snuff. Next of course would be a little lowering. No bags or anything fancy like that just a little lower. After I had it running and safe I would add some duals and smittys pipes. The smittys would be mandatory, I was asking my grandma about if she remembered any of the things my grandpa had done to his cars in HS and she said she didn't know much about his cars but knew he has smittys pipes. So my merc would have to have smittys. After that? Who knows. I use to be a auto body tech, so eventually some mild customizing and fresh paint would happen. Its primary use would be to just enjoy it with my family. Ive been wanting a car that I can take my family on a nice sunday road trip in, maybe have a little picnic and drive home. Something we can spend time together in that doesn't have a fancy radio, DVD player or anything like that. Something that could just be me, the family, and some nice scenery. I know the financial situation has been brought up, and no this isnt something I would be selling in a week to pay the bills. My wife has a decent job and while things are tight, we are keeping out head above water. But going out and buying something like this just isnt in the budget. I promise you this, if it ended up in my driveway it would be going to a good home and become a member of the family. I get very attached to certain cars, and this is one that would have a permanent parking spot.

Thanks
    Dustin

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  8. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Man that is awsome that you would donate something so kool i would love to have it but i couldn't do that car justice i'm only 18 and struggling to find a job and trying hard to get a title for my 48 roadmaster. whoever gets that car really is lucky and should respect the car alot. i know i would but i cant come get it. Best of luck to whoever gets it. Try and give it to a young guy that way there is new blood drawn into the hobby.

9. Monster, to reiterate what everyone else has been saying, this is one of the noblest, most generous things I've come across. You're not just donating a hulk or a frame, but a complete package, and a pretty cherry one at that.
    And on top of that, you've inspired others to chip in, toss parts, donate and help. I don't have very much, but if a pot started going around, I'd donate as well...

You should be damn proud of yourself Monster, you and your family are doing a great thing here.

Care taker... I like that. Makes me think that maybe one day you'd flip it back on to someone else who needs it - to start this process over again.

10. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Good stuff Monster. Hell of a nice thing to do.

These are great cars, I've owned 4 of them over the years, 2 4 dr's with 6 cyl's and 2 V8 2 dr's, one post, one hardtop, all automatics, fun cars every one.

A funny thing about them, any I have seen in well used or daily driver condition always seem to have the bumpers bent and twisted, all mine did, don't seem to see that as much on other cars. Anyone else notice this?

Good luck to the new owner.

11. dorksrock

dorksrock

I have a friend that would love a car like this. He is 22 years old, but never had a car of his own. He has been pushing hard through college, having to pay his own way the whole time, and loves hot rods, Kustoms, and old cars, and would love a project. He doesn't know much about cars, but it would be an awesome project for him to learn on. He is my best friend, and I really wanna do a project together with him on something of his own so he can have pride in something and learn along the way. He is not a Hamber, but I know that if he started getting involved he would be on here without a doubt. Just throwing it up for consideration.

12. I was not referring to anyone, just making a statement. I don't know your situation from the next guy. My idea is it makes sense not to give a free car to someone who has significant debt. It has nothing to do with how much money someone has, it is more a question of how much debt. If you have $10,000 in credit card debt, you should not be screwing around with a hot rod and the chances nothing will be done with the car are high.

The UW-Stout Auto Club has owned a club car since the mid 70's and until the mid 2000's there were little to no problems with who drove it, kept it and the club paid insurance and registration. A student run car club is nice because the car will be passed down from class to class and dozens of people can enjoy it instead of just one. That is my point.

It is kind of far away, but if the new owner somehow is closer, I would gladly offer any services I have. New exhaust system installed, free weekend of hot roding at the Symco Shakedown or any of my stash of good old ford parts.

13. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Rockabilly kid = winner

14. sircampsalot2

sircampsalot2

IMO Why give the car to a club? If a club wants a club car then take a collection and buy one... I think it should be given to someone who cant afford one of there own Otherwise its just giving something to your buddies.

15. vintage tin

vintage tin

Maybe some HAMB talent could come together and turn that 63 Merc into something special. Than it could be auctioned and proceeds go to a good cause. Then that car becomes something that helps many instead of one.
    I have already seen some offers for donations of different parts. Bet there is some left over paint in somebody's possession, Flake the roof, drop it, skinny whites, on some steelies. Bet there is a Hamber out there that would stripe the car, Freebies and leftovers add up quickly.
    Do the entire car on freebies, donations and labor.
    Better to help many rather than one. The generosity of so many Hambers is impressive, and I don't think it would take much to get some of these guys on board for a project like this. That car would take on a life of it's own and would be respected, saved from being parted or sitting, and then we know it would get done and be on the road being enjoyed.

Just a thought.

16. Meltkamp

Meltkamp

it really is amazing how people are coming together on this one car. Its awesome.

17. Shame on the HS for not taking - Beggars are Choosers I guess

18. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Monster congrats to you and your family for doing this! I dont have any parts to donate and im too far away to help work on it. PM me your address the least I can do is write a check to help get this thing on the road. or at least a couple of tanks of gas.... john

19. havi

havi

Funny, my '62 Meteor 4dr has twisted and bent bumpers as well, lol.

Monster, that's great!

20. ems customer service

ems customer service

good job for trying to save a old car!!!!!!!!!, i would take if closer to me

21. TheHypnotist

TheHypnotist
    from California

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  22. TheHypnotist

TheHypnotist
    from California

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  23. PoeticGoddess

PoeticGoddess

Sadly I don't own a classic. It's been a dream of mine ever since I was little, however life has a way of beating you over the head with anvils and destroying the plans you have, you know? The closest I got to having one was a few years ago... and then, out of no where, I was in the middle of a nasty divorce and had to start over on just about everything. I live in an area of the country where people tend to lock up their classics for the majority of the year due to the weather. Not too many people that are "different" or live their life a little outside of the box! I got into rockabilly when I was really young, falling madly in love with the vocals of Buddy Holly, to start, and had no idea, until a few years ago, that there was this whole group of people all over the world who felt the same way about it that I do. Everytime I see an old car the little girl inside me squeels and gets a little jealous of the owner! I don't think that there are enough women who own classics. I may not be the most skilled mechanically, but I learn fast. I might be a girl who wears flowers in my hair and leans a bit towards shiney objects... but that doesn't mean I couldn't customize a car and turn it into something beautiful! I've just never had the means to do so, or the opportunity! Regardless of who gets picked for this--me, or any number of other people--I think it should go to a female. We need more classics customized by women. Anyone into the rockabilly scene can't deny that the women have a DEFINITE sense of style and grace... and you can't deny that with the right inspiration that style is AMAZING on a beautiful old car like this one. ;)

24. Algon

Algon

Monster, this a really kind offer that has brought out lots of hard luck storys here pining for another freebee. I don't mean to sound heartless but between those and the poor colloge kids that want to put $10,000 worth of parts into it have me confused as to how or why they would really "need" this car ... I think I'd look for a hardworking auto or body shop helper with no project car. Someone who lives for this stuff enough to have aquired some basic skills before such offer was presented and it's not just a hobby to them between sports. Someone who not only could build the car but have it for more than an accessory to the rockabilly fad or as an addition to the exsisting collection. Maybe I'm off base but it really bugs me when I give something away hoping to help a kid out and some yuppie pulls up in a new Hummer to pick it up dressed up like Elvis. Those of you should be ashamed! I just hope the right person gets it is all and again this is truely awesome.

* Depending on the build I might have some small stuff to donate too.

25. PoeticGoddess

PoeticGoddess

Algon---

I totally agree with you. I'm not asking for the car, by any means. I think that whoever is graced with such an amazing gift as this needs to be picked by the current owner. Some rich-family-background college kid is def not in that category. I would love to see it go to someone who is in love with the cars, music and everything that goes with it who will cherish it and treat it as if it was their own child... the kind of person that has to save up for months sometimes just to get that ONE part they need.

26. coolfoot

coolfoot
    from Oregon

You mean there are old cars that don't have bumpers bent and twisted?!!

27. coolfoot

coolfoot
    from Oregon

I check out H.A.M.B. regularly, seldom write in, but I had to this time. This thread has brought out a ton of good vibrations. It points out that there are a bunch of old school car nuts all over the nation that have serious health / family / work issues....and a bunch of other heroes out there that want to share their best wishes, services, parts, transport...for FREE! Is this a great group of guys and gals or what?

Some of these HAMBers are way far from Oregon, yet it's like a tight rod club wanting to do random acts of kindness for people they don't even know. For instance I hope there's somebody out there that can help that 18 year old dude get a title for his 1948 Buick in Pandora OH (48buickkid). And some one that has a pair of Smithy's (aka Smitties) for the guy out of work in Prosser WA (TurboShadow). Heck, even send some cash to the guy who's broke in Lithuania (Russian) !

Instead of a bunch of posers with deep pockets and gold chains…
    the HAMBers are doers with deep passions and gold hearts.

28. Ratticis

Ratticis

What the hell is wrong with the local schools?
    Hopefully this goes to someone who really needs and appreciates it and kudos for doing this.

29. Most schools only accept donated cars from the automakers. Usually, these have been cars that have been damaged in-transit, but they do donate intact cars without damage, too. There is a stipulation that these cars can NEVER, EVER see the streets as a registered and titled car. The schools can not even part the car out, it must be crushed after the school is done with it.

Most schools do not accept "old" cars due to liability issues, along with titling and registration issues, and disposing of the car once the school has had its use of it. I have several friends that work at various vo-tech or technical schools, and all have stated this to me. It's not necessarily that the school does not want it - many would in a heartbeat if they could - but the above problems make it impossible for them to do so. The theory is that the kids are being prepped for working on cars in the "real world"; i.e. new cars and trucks, and that "old" tech is not what the schools are prepping the kids for. Brakes are brakes, bodywork is bodywork, engines are engines. Tell the PC school administrators this, and they blow a gasket over it. They don't listen.

30. Ratticis

Ratticis

Wow, that just seems stupid. I spent most of highschool trying to get them to get an autoshop class, closest they ever came was taking apart and puting back together a couple of incomplete moters, which I found increadibly boring because at that point I had been working in the oilfield as a mechanic for years. Was doing head jobs by myself in the field since I was 13, took about 6 hours. Could do a waterpump in about 30 mins. Of course, there's not much in the way on a skid unit, and a 4.3 chev is easy to work on.