Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Who uses them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Besides welding, do you use them?

007.JPG

2. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Depends on how much I've had out of that square bottle in the upper left corner....at some point I get ten foot tall and bullet proof, dont need no stinking gloves.:D

captaintaytay, Texas Webb and Jet96 like this.
  3. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

All I do is TIG welding, so if it is something that wont take long, no gloves. But when I have a lot to do, I use my thin leather Tig gloves. Always wear them when doing aluminum.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As a professional welder I use gloves for pretty much everything.
    The proper gloves for each particular job though, the ones pictured are NOT great welding gloves.
    Proper welding gloves have a leather wrist gauntlet.
    Using the proper PPE is the most important thing you can do before you pick up a tool.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I often put on gloves when I'm dealing with garbage or scrap...or when I'm welding or sand blasting.

6. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

I do it for Safety sure, but I try to keep the oil from Skin off the Metal ( Salt in Sweat).

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Most of the time, yeah. Small cuts and burns slow me down and a lot of the stuff I work with is rusty, dirty, and jagged.

8. I've made it this far with 10 fingers, I'd like to keep it that way.

9. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Several people mentioned Tig welding, another type that works good is a golf glove for light weight stuff, but they are not going to hold up long with anything needing a lot of heat or high amperage, definitely not for stick or MIG.
    I buy those cheapie blue ones from Harbor Freight for nasty stuff, like carburetor cleaner, paint etc. and for when I dont want my hands to contaminate what I'm working on. Good Luck

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I wear gloves all of the time.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I guess my attitude toward gloves comes from being a machinist for many years.
    You just don't do it! Please no cards or letters.
    Now welding and sheetmetal handling that's different.
    What gets me is this deal with the "newer generation" of "technicians" that have to wear gloves for everything, how the hell can you feel anything like starting nuts and bolts, etc.
    Now you guys that claim the missus appreciates the soft handed man, I found a hand cream at Lowes called O'Keeffe's Working Hands, good stuff.

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Yes, but leather. It's easier to tell when your hand's on fire by the smell.

Jet96 likes this.
  13. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

I think the guy that tells you to turn your head and cough wears them but I usually don't look.

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've always liked the brown cotton gloves but they are hard to find. Most are 50/50 cotton polyester and go up in flames in a heartbeat. I finally found some 100% cotton and bought a case of them. I wear Tillman tig gloves for light welding and cutting with Tillman cotton sleeves. The cotton sleeves are cooler and cheaper than leather. They can be worn over a jacket or coat if it's cold. The cuff can be pulled over welding glove cuffs. The gloves are $12 and the sleeves $5/pair.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Texas Webb likes this.
  15. long island vic

long island vic

had her fixed,, I don't need them

Johnny Gee likes this.
  16. I'm often working with machines that can potentially cut my entire hand off. Often times gloves are more dangerous than no gloves, if they could become snagged and drag your hand into the machine. But if I'm handling sheet metal or hand tools I will wear gloves.

When I'm wrenching or wenching I like latex so's I can "feel what's I'm doin' ".....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's a loaded statement ;)

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Safety rules demand wearing gloves these days. Personal Protective Equipment is the big push as the lobby for the companies that sell them has pushed OSHA for it.

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Don't forget your FRC's or HRC's.

20. I hate gloves
    unless it for chemicals or welding
    I would rather have a small cut than a hand of finger getting caught up in power tools/equipment
    plus they get in the way with all the hand gauging I do during sheetmetal work

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I always use PPE on my eyes and ears, use gloves every now and again but long sleeves when welding.

Just Gary likes this.
  22. rjones35

rjones35

I have a few pairs, but I always forget until I'm all dirty or greasy, then it's too late. Gloves are like new still though.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

24. Muttley

Muttley

If your gonna' wear those you'll also need a pair of these...................

[​IMG]
    ;) :D

captaintaytay and fourspeedwagon like this.
  25. I'm a diehard hearing protection guy. It's proven to work. My hearing is above average.
    I wear prescription lenses so I have to use a face mask when necessary.
    I'm not a big glove guy. Only when welding really.
    My hands are like leather/sandpaper so I prefer to only wear rubber gloves for fluids I don't feel like absorbing.

The appearance is not really from working on cars. My hands looked like this all my life. Took a lot of heat as a kid in school.

I like to mess with ppl in the shop. I can pick up stuff when it's still pretty hot. So I'll pick up a nut or something shortly after heating it with the torch then I'll say hey check this out and throw it to someone. They catch it thinking it's cool then immediately drop it. Nothing dangerous. Just to mess with people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wear gloves most of the time except for short tacks, my skin is old, not all that durable and I abhor pain:) My wife (she is a metal sculptor) makes sure she has all the protective gear on (including the lovely green sleeves:), but.... she probably welds more than I do!!

clunker likes this.
  27. I do, but I work in an industry that requires wearing gloves- a lot. So I'm used to it by now.
    I also only am able to squeeze in an hour here and 20 minutes there in the shop and back to work so it's easier for me to clean up and not have grubby stains. Not that there's anything wrong with that..
    Leather, welding, vinyl, cotton- I've got a few around

28. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I'm confused. What does this have to do with traditional Hot Rods?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

iwanaflattie likes this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Huh ? What did he say, speak up I can't hear you.