Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who to use on lowering a 51 shoebox

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by markdob, Aug 2, 2014.

1. markdob

markdob

I have researched shoebox central and jamco and am looking for any good or bad advice on either company for lowering a shoebox and brake conversion!!!
    Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,there is nothing wrong with Jamco's products.It just takes forever to get your stuff from them.
    I bought a power brake unit from Jamco and after 3-4 months i got it.Usually its like 2-3 weeks to get parts from US to europe.My project was completely jammed because of that.
    I think Shoebox-central is the place.
    I dont know whats your plan with the lowering,but some disc brake conversion kits doesnt work with the drop uprights.There is a company called ECI and their conversion kit works with the drop uprights.
    If you ditched the bagging idea,Ford Aerostar coils will work with shoebox.Those are easy to find over there and they are cheap.
    I bought a pair of 4" lowering leaf springs from St.Louis spring company and they asked 220 bucks for a pair.
    I think its no a bad price for a US made springs.

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a Jamco rear set up and got great service. Used a Fatman's dropped upright front with their disc brake conversion and also got very timely service. Used Aerostar coils.

4. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Go talk to Chris at shoebox central. Google his business on Oklahoma. He offers everything to bring your box down. Better than jamco and you will get your parts very quickly.

He has everything to do it and has tons of advice for finding parts for how low you wanna go.

Cheers

5. flathead4d

flathead4d

I put the JAMCO front disc brake and ball joint conversion kit on my 50 several years ago. Also the heavy duty sway bar. The product was top quality and a bolt on with no additional modifications. That being said, there there has been a lot of complainta about delivery time of parts with the company lately. I have no ordered anything from them in sveral years so don't know for sure. All I can say is their products were excellent.

6. markdob

markdob

For those of you that lowered your shoebox, how many inches was your max lowering you went. Thanks

7. EBW

EBW

Aerostar Springs will give you about 2.5" drop
    Dropped Uprights will give you about 2.5" drop.

Rear is up to you.. Blocks, re-arched springs, C Notch, Air bags.

8. Eric H

Eric H

Shoebox central gets my vote all day long.

daddio211 likes this.
  9. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

AMEN BROTHER !!!

Eric H likes this.
  10. markdob

markdob

Thanks for all the feedback I think I am not bagging it but want to know how low can you go without bottoming out. I heard 4 1/2 in front and 5 in back is a good height but want to see if can go lower without effecting bottom. Thanks

11. daddio211

daddio211

I'm in the middle of the ECI dual master cylinder install right now. Excellent quality, shit instructions.

Fat Man makes the dropped uprights you seek, and Chris at shoebox-central.com (there is no www. in front) has good pricing on them.

12. the aerostar coils work great. i have used ECI stuff and it worked fine just ground spot on calipers for hose clearance.

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Highly recommend the Fatman bumpsteer kit when your doing the drop. It makes a huge difference.

Gambino has em and is an Alliance dealer to boot.

14. Sharmack

Sharmack

Shoebox Central is the best. Give Chris a call, one conversation with him, you will know you are going to the right place.

Eric H likes this.
  15. I went with Fatman's dropped uprights amd kept the front drums on my 51 Woodie..Since everything was new brake wise... The rear I didn't lower at all, just old and settled and looked good.. I also staggered the tire (Wagons had 7.10 X15 all the way around) running 6.70 x15 front and 7.10 x 15 rear ( little rubber rake) My 49 Coupe had Jamco set up on the front with disc and blocks out back.. The Jamco stuff was bought before they were having supply and shipping issues (hope maybe they fixed those issues) The Fatman dropped upright came from Gambino's on Ebay... I think i was dropped shipped from Fatman's to me... I was good transaction.. parts fit great and were very nice ( I also had the bump steer arms installed also)

Attached Files:

16. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

If your going that low in the front and you are not going to change the frame to an s10 or similar or not going to bag it, check fatman for their upright flip kit and then use the areostar springs and cut to the height you like. If going all spring, you will hit the lower control arm to the frame and only have like 1/2" of travel.
    Jamco make the upper control arm kit that changes them to make it easier to align and it really works. Not sure if anyone else makes a similar kit. Jamcos front sway bar is awesome if you want your car to stay flat around curves or to keep your car from rolling over on its roof when switching lanes on the freeway. As said earlier, the delivery time is slow, at least it was when I ordered my parts a couple years ago, it might have changed or it could still be a problem.
    Keep us posted on the progress

17. i have used the areostar coil and they are great way to go.

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

19. BRENT

BRENT

Did exactly the same thing on my box. Couldn't be more happy! Never had any problems dealing with Jamco. I also used their SBC motor mount kit and that worked excellent as well.

Brent

20. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I've got nothing but good things to say about Chris.