Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who sells a simple blackwall tire?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Piledrivin'Joe, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

I’m looking for a relatively smooth sidewall radial tire for my 65 Galaxie 500.
    225-70-15
    This is my daily, I put 400 miles per week on it so the tires need to be good quality.
    It would be cool if it had more of a “shoulder” to it so it looked more like a bias ply but not necessary.
    Les Schwab has two different brands in that size but there is branding scrawled all over. It seems like a waste of money to ship Cokers just so I can turn the white letters or whitewall inward.

I’m in a good size metropolitan area (Portland Ore). Any ideas on where to look for this?
    Also looking for 15x7 (or 6.5) steel wheels.

Thanks for any leads or ideas!

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Go on tirerack dot com and browse that size (you can select shop by size) - you can see pics of all available in that size.....when you find one you like source it locally or order it from them

3. Lester tire. HRP

Piledrivin'Joe likes this.
  4. Finding a shoulder in a radial is like finding hens teeth, the only radial side wall shoulders I like are snow tires.

5. '65 Galaxy, good looking cars. How do you feel about these? Cokers, and red lines on that era cars looks so right.
    [​IMG]

6. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Thanks for the leads. Looks like BF Goodrich radial T/A or Cooper Cobra are the simplest. I’ve never had either but they seem pretty common so I’m guessing they’re decent, although I’ve heard BF Goodrich isn’t what it used to be. They are now S rated but I heard they used to be faster/better.

HRP- thanks, I’ll call Lester tomorrow when they open How do they compare with Coker? I’m hoping to spend under $600 and it seems like that might be hard with a repro tire shop.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Chevy57dude- I totally agree. Two reasons I’m not going redline for now - the car currently is a 289 2 bbl and it seems like more show than go to put on redlines. The other reason is $$$! Someday...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chevy57dude likes this.
  8. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Yup those look good, the GT version is even smoother.

I’m new at sizing so the 225’s are a guess. The car currently has 205-75-15 on a 5” rim and it looks like an elephant in high heels, so I was thinking 225-70-15 on a 7” rim would better fill out the wheelwells. But maybe I should go to a narrower tire for the 7” rim? I don’t think I want 8’s on it, at least not up front.

9. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Does doing this help to make it look more like a bias ply?

10. DA all the crap off the sidewall. Most new tires have way to much stuff on em
    Should help it to look a little older styled
    Walmart.com (gasp)has a lot of tires to look at

Just Gary and Piledrivin'Joe like this.
  11. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

You might ck. on the Cooper Trendsetter for available sizes run about $80 & $86 ea. for 215/75/15 & 235/75/15 tax included not certain what other sizes are available

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

IMG_0393.JPG IMG_1205.jpg Ive used bfg on my 32, with the white letters in. used black spray paint on the letters and have had no problems with it coming off.

13. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Thanks Rusty I was wondering how those would look turned in. What size tire/rim are you running in back? Looks good.

I appreciate the replies, I’ve got options now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. My uncle retired fro Goodyear engineering dept. and he gets a limited amount of free tires every so often ,,, but he has to buy tires he buys coopers. Says they are one of the best tires out there. Mastercraft is also made by cooper in the same facility.
    Everyone I love rides on coopers or mastercraft and has no issues. 60k miles easy. I did get 85k on a set of Mitchell 10ply tires once.

15. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

I know this sounds dumb to ask, but do you progress through to finer grit? What grit do you finish with? I’m wondering how it will all blend together.

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

7" rim with a 255 70 15"

17. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Good to know. I’m doing a lot of driving in the rain so I want to get a quality tire. I ran the date code on the current tires and they’re from the 90’s :-/

18. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used mastercraft on my 40 coupe. nice riding tire. I got them thru summit racing mastercraft-a-s-iv.jpg 1940 ford coupe july 1 2014 004.JPG

19. Piledrivin'Joe likes this.
  20. Galaxie390

Galaxie390

I've had great results sanding sidewalls with 80 grit on a da. Then go over the whole sidewall with 320 to give it a consistent finish.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Piledrivin'Joe and Elcohaulic like this.
  21. Do it yourself or I think diamondback tires smooths them out

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is tire shop in Portland that grinds down the sidewalls on white letter tires to turn them into wide whites. They might be able to clean up a set of blackwalls to the no fru fru look.
    I've hunted the Tire rack site before to find out what's available. BF Goodrich radial T/A has about the cleanest sidewall if you turned the white letters in. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...5&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

23. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

All of the older Chevy and Ford cop cars came with 225/70 R 15 Goodyear Eagles. I have mounted thousands of them . It is a good riding and driving tire. We used them on our pure stock dirt cars with the tread shaved down.
    Cooper makes a really good tire. I would not mount a 225 on a rim narrower than 7 inches and I prefer 8 for the tread to lay out flat. You will get better performance and handling if you up the psi to 40 lbs. Will not hurt tread life . Talked to Goodyear tire engineers and they told us that pressures as high as 42 lbs. is ok.

Piledrivin'Joe and Elcohaulic like this.
  25. 80 then progress up until satisfied
    Wipe down with favorite tire dressing

oh, it helps to wipe with a solvent like thinner
    helps to melt any fuzzies from sanding

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  26. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

With than much mileage per year its hard to beat Michelin.

27. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try Discount Tire.

28. Cooper Trendsetters I have run on few of my cars... you could always turn the white wall in.. and black it out.. Nice tread pattern and side wall.. just my 2 cents worth wb1.jpg

29. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

What do you think is the best width tire for a 7” rim - 215? 205?

This is going on a big floaty car with a relatively small engine (289) - so not much hard cornering but need something that tracks straight on the highway and is a bit cushy. I guess I’m wondering if a narrower tire on a wider rim would give a harsher ride.

30. Went to Walmart today to look. Online they have lots of tires good prices. Asst Manager ask to help me. Told him I'd like to see a 215-75-15 black wall. He looks puzzled. Then tells me they don't sell that brand. I ask what brand. He says black wall. I just came on back home.