Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Who' Selling Tha' SAME PARTS TWICE??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokey2, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My father always told me that a man is only as good as his word. That speaks volumes. He also told me and instilled in me that a man's handshake is as good as gold and makes for a binding contract. I always make it a point to shake a man's hand when I meet him and when I am leaving. A few dollars more is not worth losing my worth as a man.

2. Word!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  3. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

ditto.

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Ditto, that's why I only deal face to face.

5. adamshumard

adamshumard

Hey, Hey, Hey, don't bring me in on this!

6. I won an eBay auction - guys notifies me that the item is in "bad condition" and he refunds my money. Within two days I see the same item, same seller, $20.00 more as starting price.

Guess they were popular, so he raised his price and lost his honour.

I won't buy from him, ever.

And I think that this guy had multiple ads out trying to see who would pay the most. When he got his price, he notified all other "winners" in the stated manner.

Occam's Razor applied as I see it.

Cosmo

7. well since I cant spell really good or puncutateit....had many calls on an old tractor...told this guy to bring a trailer...another guy calls and I to;d him to come an hour later "cause a guys bringing a trailer"....get to the shop and they are both there - not sure what was said - but had to calm down the trailer guy and tell him he had first shot.....( reguardless of the beat down)...he offered a little less like he said over the phone....and still tok it home....the early show just shrugged and said you just lost a
    $100 bucks....didn't really care....made money...felt good....

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I wouldn't tell anybody that I don't know personally, that I will hold something until their payment arrives. I don't know if the seller did here. It sounds like somebody showed up on the premises to buy the parts who might have committed to buy them earlier. Since it is Sunday, no payments could be mailed. [although there is a local grocery store where a money order could be purchased and put in the box to go out Monday night]

I use Paypal because it gets the money transferred fast and gives buyer and seller some information about each other.

9. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

x2

There are two sides to every story and the truth lies between. Matt seems like a pretty good dude...don't know that he was out to screw anyone.

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I sold a windshield trim piece on this forum for my asking price of $25. While waiting for payment someone else offered me $200 to send it to him instead. Had to turn him down, and tell him if the deal fell through then i would get ahold of him. First one to strike a deal gets it, Its not the first persons fault USPS is friggin slow.

However, like many others i've been burned in the past by the guys who post "I'll take it" in your ad, then never contact you again.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

put me down in the "mans word" camp as well. Oh yea, I guess if you have been around, its ok to screw a new guy, they dont count. Sure makes a real good first impression...

12. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Don't know either of you.

Shit happens... they even made a bumper sticker. Sad but true.

13. I've bought several items from Matt in the past & he has always been super to deal with.

I bet this story has a second side.

JH

14. Well, personally I think he is stooping to the same level as the seller by airing dirty laundry on the internet. It's all very Pre-school ta-tell tale style.

I should clarify that I do agree that it sucks that the original seller backed out on him though. I would be a little disappointed if it happened to me. But I wouldn't call him out on it on the HAMB and I think he's crying over spilled milk, It's not like his money was stolen. Also we only know the OP's side of the story. Their are always 2 sides....though I admit it doesn't look good for the seller.

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

2nd or not, there's plenty of other reasons paypal sucks. The point is unless otherwise specified, usps money orders are generally considered an acceptable form of payment on every forum I've ever been on. It costs me a dollar for a money order and forty whatever cents for a stamp. Its free to cash. No fees. What happens the next time you sell to some sheister who says your item never showed up? There's too many ways to lose with paypal.

Anyways, to stay on topic. Word is bond. No offense.

16. SixFive

SixFive

So he didn't steal your money? Maybe 34cpe5w was as confused by your horrendous typing as the rest of us usually are..

17. This is what I tried to teach my kids growing up. Your word is the last thing you have left.

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ive been offered more money when selling stuff more than once for an item that a deal and date was struck to another guy. i simply tell them.. as of now its sold, you are number whatever on the list, if they do not want it your more than welcome to come pay me more for it. I HATE sellers like this..

19. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I'd like to believe the "a man's word is..." system but I've been on the losing end too many times for it to hold water. It doesn't have me losing faith in humanity nor does it affect my psyche in any way. It doesn't make me paranoid that the next deal could be "no good".

I've had some stuff listed here that I've had folks in line six deep and offer $200 over asking price but I still give number one a shot and then move on from there.

But playing the devil's advocate, I can't help but recall a familiar saying like, "the right to refuse service". The title of this thread is misleading. Nothing was ever "sold" to begin with as money didn't change hands and no contract was signed...there is no such thing in the legal world as a verbal agreement and when it comes to print I think it has to say "ok, I will sell it to you for X amount of dollars. I personally feel bad for both parties, one feels cheated and the other probably has no clue he's being blasted.

"Oh the humanity!"

20. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

there is no such thing in the legal world as a verbal agreement

Are you a Lawyer?
    Not wanting to start a pissing match but I think verbal contracts can be legal.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that about nails it.

And if I put something on Ebay at no reserve it's on there at no reserve either to the highest bidder or the only bidder. And I am damned well not going to piss and moan if I didn't get as rich on it as I thought I was going to. Nor will I pull it off because the bidding isn't going to suit me, that is pure bullshit.

22. hotdamn

hotdamn

okay. I cant believe I am even posting on this rediculious thread but here goes...

does it suck you got shafted?
    yes.

this thread could all be handled in the form of a pm:)

less drama, more awesome:)

imo the only time some one should be called out publicly is when you have pm'd said person and they either told you to take a hike or they never respond.

c'mon guys, lets be classy:D

23. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Nope, not a lawyer. Just heard on more than one occassion that they are subjective. In some cases they DO exist but not all...most being not, so I've heard.

I feel I must add. I also heard one mister "hotdamn" may or may not have got more than his money's worth on a t-bird item my brother sold him.;) Just a rumor I suppose. The seat smelled musty but I don't think he cared.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  24. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I don't know all of the particulars of this deal, but, if I accept to buy something on the net, my word is gold. I will let you know how I'm going to pay you, and when you should expect my payment. However, if I say "I'll buy it", and make arrangements to pick up the item in person, and you tell me upon arrival, it "sold yesterday" because someone paypal'd you, expect to have an astronimical hospistal bill. :eek:

25. I treat people like I want to be treated....Simple...

26. ok, i'll close this thread. from my batting average, i'm the last to post before most threads get closed. sorry i didn't get here sooner.

27. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

You want us to treat you like you're simple? :p

Whatever you want Shortbus.

28. back when i was 19 i was heavily into mopar musclecars i owned a 69 charger and when i was in trade school the adult education auto mechanics teacher had a shop and at the shop he had a 69 charger that had been sitting there for over 15 years i went to look at it and aggreed to buy it on payments he said fine its been here for 15 years it aint going anywhere well i told him id make the first payment the following friday he said ok well i walk into the school to make my payment just like i said i would he took it ....one hour later he walked into the body shop class i was taking and said heres your money back a guy in my class just bought it ....

up till that point i thought that teacher was cool

im a man of my word , i mean what i say and say what i mean..... if you aint dont talk to me

29. priceless......

30. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

2 sides to every situation. Yeah, yeah a man's word should be good but I have sold enough stuff on here to know that, even on the HAMB, there are all sorts. Most are good but I've had plenty who jump on something to be first in line and then start jacking around. Or take 2 weeks to send out the payment while you are setting on a part with your money tied up in it. Paypal is the way, whether you like it or not. If you choose to not use paypal for what ever reason, you are shooting yourself in the foot.
    Showing up at the man's door is a little different deal that buying over the internet. He could have just told you straight up the item was already sold when you got there. Money in the hand is what it's all about. I wish I had a buck for every guy who said he was coming that didn't show or showed up late. Nothings carved in stone, you have to play every deal for how it feels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.