Register now to get rid of these ads!

who repairs/rebuild speedometers in Colorado?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by damagedduck, Nov 3, 2011.

1. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

in need of someone to repair speedometer in colorado..:confused:send a P/M with your name/company name,phone #
    thanks chuck

2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I typed "speedometer greeley colorado" into my browser and found some.

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

in the HAMB search?
    just trying share some love to others,

e1956v P/M sent back.thanks

5. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

6. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I went to Deluxe Speedometer in Denver to have a Speedo freshened up, they do good work but they are really, really expensive!!

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Deluxe speedo has done several for me..and they stand behind their work...the last one was for my '55 Cadillac..and I didn't find them anymore expensive than any other speedo place...guess it depends on your defiintion of "expensive"...

R-

8. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

$164 to paint the needle and grease the gear and crimp the bezel back on is what I call expensive, especially when they quoted me $35 in the first place.

I'll send my stuff to North Hollywood Speedo in the future.

9. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

John at Deluxe does good work at a fair price, there must have taken more than just a needle re-paint to get it in proper working order. Maybe there was just a miscommunication on checking with you before the speedometer was repaired but he is an honest guy and runs a reputable shop. The price charged $164.00 sounds like a cost for a complete repair, which depending on the unit is close to the price we also charge.

10. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

It was an old SW Wings gauge.

No new parts were installed, it just needed grease and the needle painted. he cleaned the inside of the lense and then crimped the bezel back on.

What is considered a complete repair then?

11. choptvan

choptvan

I use speedo services that replied to you in the 1st place. I keep takin stuff to him but none of it is broke! Checks it free and lets out know first. Cool guys over there...

12. damagedduck I have to say check out; e1956v. He did mine while I was deployed to Iraq. He's a local in the Springs. Rusty did a great job.

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

point taken! thanks guys..all the info has been relayed...& in contact with rusty!

14. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

1. Check speedometer on test bench.
    2. Disassemble speedometer clean and check all parts.
    3. Remove magnet and check magnet jewel for wear.
    4. Replace jewel in magnet or replace magnet with a new one.
    5. Check speedometer frame for wear (egg shaped where magnet rides in frame also where second and third gears ride).
    6. Line bore frame and install oil-lite bushing in frame or replace frame.
    7. Grease magnet install in frame and check tollarance.
    8. Install second and third gears and speedcup after checking upper jewel and hair spring,check speedcup end play.
    9. Install odometer (after inspecting), also dial and pointer.
    10.Ckeck magnet polarity and charge magnet.
    11.Test speedometer on test bench and use demagnetizer and or hair spring tension to calibrate speedometer.

This all takes time, sometimes parts need to be replaced sometimes not. Ask the hourly shop rate of some other skilled craftsmen, welders, body and paint, pinstripers you name it, then tell me that this type of repair at this price is out of line.
    Most speedo parts are no longer available to purchase new anymore. I spend summer weekends hitting swap meets looking for useable cores to add to my stash, also checking Ebay to get parts.
    I hope this helps fellow HAMBERS understand some of the process, we are out here scraping by just like every one else.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Used to be a dollar bought you something...nowadays it takes 10 of those dollars to get the same thing...been to the grocery store lately, bought any gas for your hot rod lately...how 'bout your cel phone...ain't necesserily cheap either is it...???

R-

16. Hey damagedduck, your in stinkiepoopietown also?

Howdy neighbor:D

17. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

does "stinkiepoopietown" refer to Greeley or the entire Denver Metro area?

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

If it was the whole Denver Metro area, would it make a difference to you...???

R-

19. I suppose commerce city counts LOL

Sent from my iPod touch using TJJ