Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who remembers the bad old days of muffler tickets?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PackardV8, Aug 15, 2010.

1. granny

granny
    from WA state

Another time i'm going to work w/ the Chevelle's headers open and see a state trooper coming in the opposite direction. I let off the throttle and go into silent mode, the trooper goes by, but he whips a 180, flips the lites on, and pulls me over. I cut the engine and coast to the side of the road. He gets out, asks for L&R, and proceeds to give me a ticket for no front licnese plate. He hands me the ticket, goes back to his car, and I wait for him to leave first. He doesn't leave, so i just sit and wait. He finally comes back up to me and asks if everything is OK. My battery is now dead, so choose to confess so I can speed things up. I get another ticket then a jump from the trooper, but at least I got to work on time.

2. <TABLE id=post5545653 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>GassersGarage<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5545653", true); </SCRIPT>
    Alliance Member

[​IMG]

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_5545653 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: Who remembers the bad old days of muffler tickets?
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Fuzzy Knight [​IMG]
    Went back and pulled the soup cans and put the tail pipes back on. All was good in Mudville!!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Better hope you don't get stopped by the same cop. Failure to comply is a $150 ticket plus 1 point on your record. Probably more since ticket prices have skyrocketed.
    <!-- / message -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I am amazed at this post. I had no idea you were an expert on Vancouver, Washington Vehicle code laws.
    I am not really toooo worried about running into the same cop again as it happened 40 plus years ago!!

3. David Allen

David Allen

As a 17 year old I had a '56 210 2 dr. Chevy with a 283 and 30" glasspacks. I got pulled into a spot inspection near Corona Calif. I got cited for lic. lamps not working (worn wire). When I had to do the noise test I blipped the throttle. The cop told me to "stand on it, then let off". I did and he said "man thats beautiful".

4. 26 roadster

26 roadster

1st ticket was for "VANO" (Violation Anti-Noise Ordnance) in 1965, and was taken to jail for it. Now, you have to have a decimeter to write the ticket and few law enforcement agencies can afford them. I don't care for the straight pipe Harley's or cars in the wrong place, but love it at the proper venue. Don't care for loud music or tattoos either, that should stir shit up!!!

5. Deuces

Deuces

I do... I got pulled over by the Dearborn boys in blue when I had my '69 Z/28.. Headers and Cherry Bombs was all I had on the car and that got me nailed.. But I was able to get out of it by adding 2 more dirt cheap (turbo) mufflers.. :D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

I got a noise ticket in Pickens SC last 4th of july pulled up to a roadside license check in my touring car it has a 500 caddy with lake pipes, well I went to pay the ticket and got it threw out and a date with the clerk of court.... she is now living with me

7. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

In the late 50's early 60's I got tickets up the kazoo for loud pipes, or cut outs open. I was a kid and noise was the thing. Ofcr. Knight wrote me the most, always called me by my first name. At that time you got the mufflers changed or cut outs welded shut, had the County Marshall verify it was quiet, paid the fine and back to the rack to switch again. I seldom see any one running around like I did, but of course there are few old cars on the road unlike the early 60's. Lots of Hogs run straight pipes and our town is popular with them on the weekend, the residents are pressuring the coppers to cite them.

8. No Shit....!

I carried a box of steel wool in the trunk and prayed that I'd only get a Warning ticket so I could jam the wool in the glass pack and get it waived!

My last car had motorcycle baffles in each of the eight pipes and that was just enough to make it as quiet as a drag Harley!:D

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Come to Connecticut; land where everyone complains about everything. Loud cars or trucks = one big ass ticket....and a ticket for everything else they find wrong with your illegal road-worthy vehicle :D

10. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  11. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

November 14, 2010 is the bad old days?

12. tcb-1

tcb-1

my pop was thrown in the pokey in '57 overnight for racking the glasspacks on his '54 Merc. called home and grandpa said to stay there 'til he learned his lesson.

13. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

A few years ago in my old daily driver. O/T truck with a 350, mild cam and straight manifolds. Truck was a total POS. No brake lights, turn signals, mirrors, doors wired shut. Yeah I was driving a hazard on the road.

I was coming home from my uncles house late at night and as I pulled out his driveway I poured the coffee to her. She spits and sputters a second then opens up. I see a pair of headlights oncoming and just as she hits 6 grand I see "Sheriff" on the side of the car. I was like :eek:. I look back and his brake lights come on. I already had it to the floor so about 150 yards ahead is a road. I turn off, kill the lights and lightly touch the brake pedal because I had a major wiring issue and when I would hit the brakes the front turn signals would come on. I drove the last 3 miles home like that and as I pulled in I see a pair of lights come flying over the hill about a mile away.

Needless to say I pulled the truck in the shed that night.

14. RDR

RDR

my muffler ticket was a little different;
    A buddy that had a 301 sbc/4spd 58 Austin Healy always wanted to trade cars with anyone who had a backseat car so he could have fun with his date...anyway we all loved the Healy as it was quite the drag race terror around our town and it was my nite to rip around as Darrell had my '56 Chevy that nite. While cruising the gut I get stopped for being too low...What'ya mean too low this thing is higher than any other Healy (being jacked up in the front)...cop says, "your muffler is too low" and he writes me up...Well, I go to court and the judge asks how I plead.."Not guilty your honor with an explanation...the car is not too low, it is the mufflers hanging down,sir"..."Why are the mufflers hanging down son"....."Well sir, the mufflers are hanging down because it has a V8 motor and there is no room for them anywhere else"....BAM.... the gavel goes down and the judges eyes bug out..."GUILTY..IF YOU KIDS WOULD QUIT MODIFYING THESE CARS YOU WOULDN'T BE STANDING HERE IN MY COURTROOM".......judge Barber 1962

15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Mufflers???? Are those some kind of vintage accessory

16. Great thread
    In my miss-spent youth (mid 60's to 70's) I got to know a lot of the local yocals that were enforcing the laws of the land. Hell, I even got fix-it tickets for things that the officer's would just make up (violation and code number)...bought a vehicle code book and successfully argued for dismissal of a ton of tickets.

I gotta agree, once you become an official old fart you become exempt from a lot of the B.S. that cops can throw at you...Pulled over last year for test driving a car that wasn't quite finished (blown small block, open headers, wound up pretty tight) and all the cop wanted to know is "what do you have in this thing, sounds awesome!"

17. coppertone

coppertone

I had a 66 vette 350 horse 350. i put 4" semi exhaust side pipes, open. My friend that ewelded them up was a sprint car driver asked if I realized how loud they were gonna be. I told him the article in the magazine said they wouldn't be that bad, he looked at me and said "well they must be right." with a grin. Two tickets later the same week and I was stuffing furnace filters in there, made for a good sound, but they would blow out past the little baffle I made to hold them in. There Iwould go down the street, get on it and blow furnace filters out as i went down the street. Fast forward to about 6 years ago I have a 49 ford f1 with lakes pipes, was sitting drinking beer witha friend and loud pipe tickets came up.I said it had been about 30 years since I had a loud pipes ticket,so I uncapped my lakes pipes. Have been running them open for 6 years and still no loud pipe ticket. I guess running a flathead, as cool as it sounds doesn't produce that many decibels. Kind of the gerbil against rat thing. Would be nice to get one more sometime just to hang on the shop wall.

18. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

I remember a set of PURPLE HORNY mufflers I had back in the early 70'S, I saved a while to by them, ran them for a week, got a warning ticket, and that was that.........................

19. Lots of warnings, no tickets that I remember. I was usually going so fast and was already in so much trouble that when they wrote me up they let the noise part of it slide. Boy, those were good days.

20. knotheads

knotheads

in high school i used to get modified exhaust to increase noise tickets for the duals on my lowrider 57 chevy

21. tspax2

tspax2
    from carolinas

In the early 70s I had a late 58 impala with straight exhausts.
    I stole a serving tray from Frisch's big boy to clean some ditchweed. My pal was driving through Loveland Ohio and when we saw the lights and I slung the tray on the dash.
    If you run the heat , I can still smell it, scared me straight.
    Lesson learned, Loveland does not tolerate loud pipes and I am chicken hearted.

22. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

I got my first loud pipes in about 1955. My brother had a 1952 BSA Golden Flash. Coming home from work at 8:00 in the morning. Gave me a ticket and cost me $11.00. That was a days pay then.

23. chubbie

chubbie

OK, this is to funny!

24. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

was riding with my buddy in his 54 ford and a trooper pulls us over,he says rev it up and then kind of loud isnt it ,my buddy says no officer it has walker silencers( takes an old guy to remember these)on it the trooper says silencers my ass

25. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Where I live most muffler tickets are of the fix it variety. They aren't big money makers so the police are less likely to care. I also think cops like to hassle young drivers. I got hassled all the time when I first got my license. My 65 F100 daily has a blown out glass pack. I haven't got hassled yet and it has been like that for months.

26. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

If the loud bike is cruising the same speed as you, and right next to you, he is heard. It's fairly hard to hear the bike behind you due to road noise, windows up, a/c, music, etc. If he rips by you like you are standing still, it just scares the crap out the driver. I have nearly 300,000 miles on bikes, that's my take on it. For what it's worth, road tests have shown that performance cars stop and corner better than performance bikes. More rubber on the road, etc. Stopping and avoiding better can be true, but not necessarily. I depend on my eyes and experience spotting potential idiots instead of noise. On the last note, I can't figure why any bike rider would want to tangle with a car. Hammer that mirror, enrage the driver, get bumped off the road. I guess I have never seen a rider with a hammer danging off his bike. I wouldn't want it beating my bike up as I go down the road. I saw a biker kicking at a car that ticked him off once. The car driver was pissed after his door was kicked. Guess who won?
    Anyway, enjoy the riding,:D and watch out for idiots on cell phones, w/kids, etc.!

27. noboss69

noboss69
    from nevada

yeah.... a car always wins... few years ago this asshole biker was in my blindsight and i didnt see him and his 300 pound woman, so i cut them off accidentally... few minutes later,the guys kickn my truck and broke my mirror.. well, i backed off for a while.. followed them.. they got off at a bar, parked in the rear, after they went in, i backed my big fat bumper into their bike crushing it against the wall, i had about 300.00 damage, but the asshole had about 3-5 thousand in damage..i pulled my mirror off and left it sitting on what was left of his bike.. guess who won??? me

28. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Most officers don't care, but have to do something when someone complains. I got a few tickets when I was younger, but deserved what I got. If you run around racking the pipes and acting like a kid, you will probably get noticed. If you do get something, at least take responsibility for your own actions instead of trying to pawn it off on someone else. I have run open pipes for years and have never had a problem.

29. RAY With

RAY With

Well in early 50's a pair of smithy galss packs was a way of life as was the local boy's in blue handing out tickets for excessive noise by loud exhaust.The only way they could have given out more tickets was to have had them pre printed and a lot of cops did that on Saturday night to save time. No decent hotrodder would ever be caught without the 'loud exhaust" and it gave us some thing to talk about the following Monday in school.