Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who recognizes this kustom? I NEED to know more.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, May 27, 2013.

1. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

Not a theory. Facts stated. More specifically, '61-'62 CC fenders (and '63-'64 CC) are wider width wise across top, have more inward curl along bottom edge, and different curvature along top rear matching held over windshield.

Having met both Greg Merksamer and Tom McPherson, lets just say I'll side with Tom's 50 years of being a professional car authority.

Theory involves someone that has never owned a coach maybe reading a book. Whereas I can step outside and go look at several '53-'68 hearses, ambulances, and flower cars...many are '57-'60.

Here's Scotty's aforementioned '60 McClain non-commercial chassis yet original flower car. Pics saved from the HAMB.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Is the flower car pictured in #20 of this thred build on a standard CDV frame, and any idea who did the conversion? The sail panels and backlight look FoMoCo product, not GM professional car built. To me , this build doesn't look as large as Tranny Johns build.

Did EUREKA build any flower cars in 1964?

Thanx

3. Abomination

Abomination

This is also a wonderful source of information, but keep in mind, not every coachbuilder is listed - specifically the Caribou guy, who I'm tallin' ya made this (and many others, since 1954).

http://www.coachbuilt.com/

~Jason

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  4. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

As previously suggested, that is not a flower car nor ever was one. Homebuilt 100%

Eureka offered both 18" and 24" flower cars in '64. 18" were open trough (Western style) and 24" had enclosed deck (Eastern style).

[​IMG]

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Thanks for the info. I'm guessin' 18'' and 24'' refers to the depth of the flower deck?

6. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

Yes sir. Here's a '63 Eureka flower car with a 24" deck (missing stainless top center and rear boot) for height comparison.

[​IMG]

7. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

man it makes me sad to see these cars sitting like that.....has done since I saw three perfect zephyr coaches get picked up by the claw one at a time in a junk yard in the UK when i was a kid....I think that was the start of my fascination with these awesome stately monsters.

8. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Anyway, back to the thread....Is tranny John going to do a full renovation on this thing??

9. WQ59B

WQ59B

Whoa; miss where I said "makes total sense"? 'Theory' is just a word choice, not an indictment. Just like 'maybe' above, right? ;)

Just stating my source FYI, again; not indicting anything/one.

Recall the context of my original post: that a flower car quarter was not used on the 'El Cadimino'. Because the vast majority of Cadillac FCs were built on commercial chassis's with 4-drs.... unless the rear door seam was welded up decades ago & has weathered in pace with the rest of the quarter, I believe that still stands. The rest seems a tangent to me.

10. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

obviously a flower car, but cool nonetheless,,,,NOT as cool as tranny john's caddycamino though.......

Attached Files:

11. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

That's awesome......takes on a whole new light in bright red. One practical aspect to Tranny Johns car is its length. As much as I love hearses and Flower cars the length of them makes it a nightmare to cruise one in the city. getting parked became a full time occupation. Tranny Johns kustom has all the sinister cool of a flower car without the need for a flag man when parking :)

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

WHOA!:) Looks like a 1961 Cadillac Superior Flower Car:):)
    Sheck out the custom cast rear tail lamp housings, NOT a Cadillac/GM casting, but a casting designed to clear the rear tail gate when lowered.

13. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

This close up illustrates the differences in a '61-'62 commercial chassis front fender.

[​IMG]

14. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Will the dog house from a commerical chassis bolt up to a passenger cowl panel without issue? And..............is there any difference between an B Body and a C Body GM cowl assembly from say 1961-62?

Thanx

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

15. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

Can answer first portion anyway. A '61-'62 (and '63-'64 CC) will only match up to a '59-'60 GM passenger cowl.

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Ah, so whyle you can bolt the dog house of a '59-'64 commerical to a '59-'60 passenger cowl , it would probably be too wide for an A Body like an Elco or Pontiac?:confused:
    Thanx

17. The car this thread was started for is apparently an El Camino with '61 Cadillac CC fenders/grille on it.

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Do you suppose the car this thred was started for has Elco door shells to which commerical door skins have been grafted?

19. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

There is no '59-'60 CC sheetmetal difference. '59-'60 commercial chassis utilized standard passenger car sheetmetal. GM changed windshield design in '61 which started CC-specific front sheetmetal because of '59-'60 wraparound windshield carrying over on CC cars.

'61-'64 CC front fenders will prove too wide across top for '61-'64 passenger cars if that is what you're asking. Plus a '61-'64 passenger car hood would not fit cowl contour.

Already covered in post #57 copied above.

Not likely. Standard coupe length doors were used on '59-'60 CC. Coach builders only changed them from the waist up.

20. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Thank you for clearing up the matter of the use of these parts.

21. EurekaFreak

EurekaFreak

Better check your Superior book again... Only 10 were built in 1960. 23 was the number of flower cars Superior produced for the '59 model year.