Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who really ownes "your" car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel pump, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dzahm

dzahm
    from NC

My 35 dodge p/u was purchased from a widow- she only asked to see it when complete. Her son was really disinterested in the truck so I doubt he'll ever care about it. OT story- my 1946 Ford 2N was bought new by my Grandad- he died when I was 7 so I really didn't know him- Dad died soon after so I didn't know him very well either- 30 yrs later I visited my uncle for the 1st time- he still had the tractor and gave it to me. I shipped it to NC (from niagra falls where it lived its whole life) and restored it. I can't help but feel close to my family when I use it- even the steering wheel is original and I wonder about the sweat and blood that was shed on it yrs earlier. Even though I never "knew" them I feel a connection and wonder if they too cussed when putting points in the front mount distributor, strained when taking off a rear tire, etc. I suppose its odd to feel that way about a tractor/car/truck, but I have instructed the wife to give it (free) to any blood relative upon my demise, as I want it to stay in the family. I would also sell the truck back to its former owners son if he truly felt that way about it.

2. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nice to see there are still some genuine "nice guys" left in this world.

3. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Very Cool Story!

4. Searcher

Searcher

Great story. And you handled it very well.

Automobiles unlike most any other thing can really become a part of peoples lives. And rightfully so.

5. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

6. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

What a great story. Please post pictures of the older gentlemen's first ride in it.

7. screwball

screwball

thats part of the cars soul they all have a story. Its nice you found part of your cars history they arnt just commodities to some of us. Good on you.

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

I've got a really nice picture of the two of you in the coupe. Sorry I haven't sent it to you Rich, when I get home from work I'll e-mail it.

9. my topolino was a drag car it seems most of it's life too....guy i got it from hasn't told me squat about it's history...or where/who he got it from...and i really don't think anyone will ever walk up and say they "knew" my car in the past......definetly a disappointing bit of reality...but when it had painted on logos of racing products, i can surmise that it was a race ride way back in the day.....would be nice to know a bit about it....and it was sold to me as a "you love topolino's way more then any one who asked to buy it if i was to sell it" thing.....

dude ya was right, i do love MY TOPOLINO........

maybe one day they'll tell the tale...........

10. Gator

Gator

Nice story -

I was just thinking about this kinda thing, only with a little twist.

I just swapped around and got back a '56 Caddy back that I'd owned a few years ago.

When it got down to the paperwork part of it I asked the present 'owner' about the title. He kinda laughed and said "Yeah, I've got the title, and it's still in your name."

It had changed hands a couple of times but never got re-titled, kinda like it was meant to come back to me.

11. Slonaker

Slonaker

I think I understand how you feel. My car was my Dad's. He bought it when he was the same age as I am now. Now that he's gone, I'm trying to put the car back together to be what it once was, before his health declined.

I really miss him, but I feel a strong connection to the old man when I work on his car. I use his tools as much as I can on it, and that gives me a feeling of satisfaction that is difficult to explain. It just seems right to use the old snapon ratchet that he always used.

Hopefully, one day, I can make it what he dreamed it would eventually be rather than just what it once was. I guess that makes us partners in the build, but no matter how much I do to it, it will always be "Dad's car." I like it that way.

Slonaker

12. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

this is a cool story. Me and my dad built my 26 tudor as long as I'm alive I don't see it going any where. I'm glade you got to meet some of the faimly goood to know there are still people with heart. Thanks

13. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

I have never understood why more people don't understant the meaning of our cars. I tend to keep my car for a very long time and don't understand people who "As a guy who only keeps car 2 or 3 years". Are you just now getting it? This is a hobby that I enjoy very much and have no use for the people who profit from the buying and selling of these cars just to make money. Nice story. Hope you learned something about life.

14. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Cool Story and Thanks for sharing,, I dont Know who you are but thats a very stand up thing you did.... That may have brought closure to the Families ordeal.

15. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Since we are dealing with seventy five to eighty year old cars I often wonder about the lives and dreams that have that have occurred within my coupe. Sometimes though, I think my car owns me.

16. screwball

screwball

28highboy amen brother.

17. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

If you want to talk bring a load of cash. I can change my story for the right price.

18. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

What a cool story.

19. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Dammit man .you made a tear pop out of tear ducts. Now I will have to stay up all night watching old war movies. Great story.

20. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Great story. You did good. I can relate a little as I'm still driving my 57 Ranchero
    that my Grandpa bought new, left to my Mom and Dad that was given to me
    in 73. It's come a long ways and they would be proud. I think of them every
    time I drive it.

21. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

You bring out a sentiment that too few people in our hobby share these days. Thanks for making the HAMB one of those places for sentimental jalopy owners.

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thankyou for the story, very touching for sure. And yes, you are truly a classy guy. I have a certain car in my shop right now I am working on for a friend. A fellow car guy of mine walked in the shop yesterday and said..Wow! What's the deal on that? I replied, I'm doing some work on it for a gentlemen. My friend walked up to the car and had stars in his eyes. He said, can I open the door? I said, sure. He opened it and looked inside like someone looking at his first Christmas gift. He closed the door and stepped back and I thought he was going to need oxygen.:D He then said.......I can't believe your working on this. I said, It's an honor to work on this. Ronnie Sox was always one of my heroes. The car is Sox and Martins Dodge Omni. When I read Fuels story I realized we all share these feelings about cars. I found myself pausing while working on this car and thinking about back when Ronnie and Buddy ran this car smiling......then I got my concentration back and went back to work. :D There's a ton of fine people in this hobby and I'm proud to be associated with them. Lippy:)

23. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The world seems like a better place today, thanks to you.

Respect.

24. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Its cool that the son recognized the car, I mean how many 32 Fords are out there...repros and such and he knew the ol' mans 32...thats way cool!

25. Lucky77

Lucky77

Here's a shot I snapped right before Rich took the former owner's wife for a spin around the fairgrounds. It was kind of hard not to get choked up a bit when you saw the emotional reaction this car brought out in her:eek:. Awfully nice gesture Rich.

Attached Files:

26. Keep

Keep

Thanks for the story. Reading something like this is a nice way to start the day!

27. prost34

prost34

great story,,,,,,,true hot rodding in my opinion,,,,,,,,,,,,i built my 34 ford when i was 13,drove it thru high school,have my senior pic with her,and still own it today at age 35,my wife and i went thru the moving,kids,house bills,opening a business the normal stress of life and we never even considered selling it for the money,my kids love it,,,i had a dickhead milionaire come in my shop and tell me name my price,he had to have it,i quickly told him he had a better shot seeing jesus christ walk across the driveway first,and you did not have enuff money!,,,,,

one of my favorite things to do at a cruise or show is let others kids sit in my cars,brings the bigest smile to there faces,the parents allways tell the kids to be carefull,i i just say its just a old car,shes been around for 75 years,they cant hurt it,,,,,,,

28. 55chevr

55chevr

Almost without fail, our cars will out live us. My fleet of half finished iron is spoken for by my grand children. I have to worry they will not resuscitate to get their hands on the cars / bikes.

29. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Thanks for the picture Scott. I appreciate it. I'll send it to Matt (her son) so he can show it to the family. I know they will enjoy it.

[​IMG]

30. bonesy

bonesy

Great story. You are correct - this ownership thing is all short term. We never really own them, just hold them.