Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who Really Made your Craftsman Tools?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Dec 22, 2015.

1. 5window

5window

2. Well that's pretty interesting. I have some from the '90s ( their pro series) and some very very old ones from when I was a kid. I'll have to dig around and see what I got. Man I hope I don't got some made by Bissel that would really suck. LOL

3. squirrel

squirrel

might help find out who made stuff that has a label on it, but not most of the wrenches, etc that don't have a number on them, or like screwdrivers that only have the last part of the model number.

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I think I'm safe...I inherited all my dads

5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. This also applies to all Kenmore appliances/everything Sears sells

7. frank spittle

frank spittle

8. blackout78666

blackout78666

Wow! I had heard when kobalt ( lowes) first came out they we're made by snap on or mac. I dunno. This list is pretty wild though. Farrrmmmed out!

9. indyjps

indyjps

When looking up parts for my 25 gallon oil-less compressor, devilbiss makes the pump/motor. I can replace the pump & head seals, cylindet sleeve for $40. It all cross references to devilbiss part numbers. I keep this one at the house for light duty stuff, it's 13 yrs old. Big compressor is at the shop for real work.

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

As far as iron goes, a lot of sockets and wrenches were made by Western Forge (60s and 70s?) later Eastco (not nearly as good). As a field engineer for Snap-on, it was my business to know this kind of stuff. I can find no truth to the rumor that some tools were made by Snap-on and branded Craftsman. There may have been some Snap-on tools sold to the U.S. Government by Sears during WWII.
    One I didn't see on the list, was the Sears Allstate car manufactured by Kaiser and sold by them as the Henry J:D

11. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I work in a Steel Mill. once, many years ago a gondola FULL of Craftsman tools came in. sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, everything. They seemed to have been all of the tools returned to Sears for warranty, and maybe 1/3 of the car had wrenches that were mis-stamped and/or had poor chrome plating.(never distributed) everybody was amazed at how many tools were in there, picked up by a magnet and dropped into the furnace. Gone.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

But do you remember how to use them.:p
    upload_2015-12-22_23-25-26.jpeg

32 Barn Car and falcongeorge like this.

13. You could always check the stamping on them (v,-v-, =v=, G, WF, etc)

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84807

14. jazz1

jazz1

Im surprised the tools got to market.I picked up a load of Vise Grips in DeWitt Ne. years ago and there was a scrap bin at end of line of new vise grips that did not pass inspection for whatever reason. Vise Grip was also packaging their locking pliers for other companies including SnapOn

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Whoever is making Craftsman tools today sure as hell isn't making them the same quality they were years ago. :( The fit, finish, and chroming are horrible, and the rachets are sloppy. (plastic levers, etc) Whenever I see an old Craftsman tool at a yard sale or swap meet, I grab it. My favorite 1/2 inch rachet is an old Craftsman one.

Speaking of vice grips, boy, they sure are promoting that new multi tool this Christmas ! The one with the knife and screw driver on it. There is a commercial for it every 30 seconds on TV. I bet a lot of guys will be getting one for Christmas because their lady will think this is a tool we really need ! :D:D

Don

whtbaron, Stogy, Hotrodmyk and 2 others like this.
  16. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

outside of breaking 9/16 sockets taking exhaust bolts out of SBC motors, they are pretty bulletproof. So does it matter? It's free replacement. Still better than Harbor Freight. They snap in your hands and break your wrists.

Special Ed likes this.
  17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Since a good portion of my retirement comes from Snap-on, all I can say is, "Thank You":D

18. butch27

butch27

I have a newer set autographed by Chung--kow pong. LOL

19. cfmvw

cfmvw

I was just at Sears the other day to replace a cracked 3/8" drive extension I've had for over thirty years; the new one is sort of ok, although not nearly the quality - Made In China. A lot of their tools are now, and it shows...they seem to be more into marketing gimmicky tools these days. My son often buys used Craftsman tools, but only after making sure it was Made In USA.

20. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

My grandfather left me his 'old' Craftsman tools and toolbox.....I then bought 'my own' back in the late 90's...and the difference of quality was incredible....I don't even reach for the 'new' tools now, and go automatically to the 'old' ones.....they definitely do-not make them like they used to, that's for sure!...it kind of surprised me, with 'the guarantee' of quality manufacturing not there anymore....I sure like them 'old' tools now!!------------I remember the ''Blackhawk'' brand was top-notch in the 80's, but expensive.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  21. silent rick

silent rick

remember the AJ Foyt commercials hawking craftsman tools in the 80's or 90's? the one where he said they're made in America so you know they're good. for the most part, all my craftsmans were purchased in the 70's but i had just picked up a set of metric wrenches for the late model that were stamped made in japan or china. i don't remember which, i'll have to look at them.
    i felt betrayed, AJ just lied to me, say it isn't true.

22. jazz1

jazz1

Price reflects quality...I waited patiently for Sears to have a sale in 1980,,got 1/4" ,3/8" drive and 1/2" drive socket set with 2 ratchets and wrenches, 3/8" to 3/4" for $89..that was half price...today similar Sears set would likely be less money..

23. I have some wrenches that belonged to my Dad that are from the WWII era. When he bought them he engraved his initials and the month and year "6/43". A couple of them are not chrome plated and are stamped "War Finish". I'd be curious to know who made these tools for Sears Roebuck during the war.

24. My Craftsman tools are from 1974 or so. The new stuff (Ace Hardware, WTF?) is not nearly as good. I haven't broken anything lately (and I've been trying). I now buy used Snap On, Proto, SK tools at swap meets. The Harbor Fright tools are essentially crap, unless you need an odd socket for a one-time use.

25. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

With the exception of recent metric additions, most of my wrenches, sockets and ratchets are from the set my father gave me for Christmas in 1975.

26. I've related my experience in the past with Craftsman tools but it's been a while so....

As a teenager I worked at Sears,Roebuck & Co. in shipping & receiving and I remember all the guys in the tool department knew their stuff and I bought my first set of Craftsman tools at that time,,this was in '67.

About 3 years ago my half inch ratchet quit working so I took it to Sears to get the repair kit that was available when I was a employee,,they no longer exist,the young teenage girl,probably part timer,didn't have a clue as to what the policy's are but after finding someone in authority she came back and tossed my ratchet in a box under the counter and told me to go get a new one off the rack.

I got a new ratchet off the rack and a pair of snap ring pliers and walked back to the counter and started disassembling the new ratchet and asked her to get my old ratchet out of the box and I took the parts out and replaced them with the new ones,,the girl ask why I would want the old ratchet with the dirt and chrome peeling.

I doubt very seriously the bubble headed bleached blond would understand anything I could say.

I simply told her because it was just starting to get broken in! HRP

27. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I was standing in line at the service counter at Lowes and the guy ahead of me was trying to return a Kobalt 1/2" swivel-head ratchet that he had purchased 3 years ago and broke. The girl says "we can't take that because you have to go back to the manufacturer for warrantee claims" the guy says "Kobalt is your brand, you are the manufacturer". One phone call to management and he got his new ratchet.

28. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bought my craftsman socket set in 1970. that's the one i still use!

29. Had most of mine since the 60's and they were my Dad's before that! :eek:Man am I old!:confused:

dan c likes this.
  30. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

So that raises a question. Who makes good tools these days? I know Snap On, Mac Tools, etc. (the tool trucks) but where to get tools besides these guys? For the record, I have a ton of '60's Craftsman, MAC, SK Wayne, Proto and the like. But what about the younger guys coming up? My Sons-in-Law don't have the budget now for Snap On and can't wait for me to kick off.