Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who really isn't brand conscious

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Apr 7, 2017.

1. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i like any thing that is not common. as long as it is american made. what i look for is something you do not see every day[ it has bit me in the a## several times trying to find parts]

LAROKE likes this.
  2. I'm a total car slut when it comes to American cars.
    As a teenager, I discovered Hot Rods, and back then, late 70s, almost all were Chevy powered.
    Down here, only the Ford guys were real brand loyal back then.
    The average hot Rodder would use most any part that fit, from any brand, and I felt that was where it was at. No loyalty, just use what was cheap, and a good fit.
    Since getting the Hudson in 2012, I've come to love the brand, but I'm still drawn to any American car, especially if it's from the twenties or thirties.
    I had a girl friend called Marilyn once, a blonde, who I'm still best friends with to this day.
    Rod Stewart said Gentlemen prefer blondes.
    I'm not a real gentleman, but I still prefer blondes.
    All the dark headed women I've had, were mostly mad, haha.
    So, any blonde American car loving ladies with no brand loyalties, apply here. :D

alanp561 and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. LOL the only loyalty that our Marilyn had was to the almighty dollar, she always went for the highest bidder.

I am with you on cheap and a good fit man. That doesn't mean that all my stuff has an SBC, cheap may just mean that I bought it right and it is in my possession. I once dumped a an AMC 6 in a '54 Ford because I had a wrecked gremlin and the '54 needed a motor. it eventually got an FE not because it was a ford going in a ford but because I ran into the FE cheap and the '54 needed more zot. :D

Actually that FE was a 428 CJ and if I had had a '57 Pontiac mordoor it still would have ended up FE powered. LOL

This is not an affront to anyone just a thought, I have never understood the brand X in a brand X mentality. Granted they don't understand my mentality either. ;)

4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I like girls, never was into boys.

5. Well Joe that's good to know. I was wondering who was safe to split a room with @ Joplin this year. :D

alanp561 likes this.
  6. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always have been a GM type of person but I recently bought a '54 Dodge pickup recently. It appears that I have always been loyal to rust so this Dodge is different--zero rust and I'm getting use to it.

I have about 50 bar t-shirts so I'm not loyal in that area either.

7. 327Eric

327Eric

I like cars. And Trucks. I can praise and curse all makes .

8. I like Ford customs. I have had 4 fords and cust 'em all. LOL

When I was in Mexico a friends kid asked his dad if all mechanics cuss. his dad said,"yes but not all of them cuss in as many languages as benito."

9. Lincoln over Miller........Long Trail Ale over any other beer........Big block Chevrolet on general principles

10. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Can't say that I'm brand conscious, I like just about any older American car. Got a '56 Bel Air, a '55 Packard and a '64 Corvair (2 Chevys, maybe I am brand conscious?). Wouldn't mind owning a '56-59 Dodge or Plymouth, or a Ford Skyliner, or a '58 Edsel, or a '57 Pontiac....list goes on and on.

I'm not even really an engine or transmission snob. Although I prefer V8's.

jnaki likes this.
  11. Mo rust

Mo rust

We had a car show for charity last year and had a foreign car bash so we could all show our lack of appreciation for the foreign crap on our streets. We found a KIA minivan and smashed it with sledge hammers then drained the oil and ran with the accelerator mashed until it blew. We felt like we were getting revenge for all the soccer moms in the world.

It lasted 2 minutes 13 seconds before it seized.

alanp561 likes this.
  12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I am kinda a Mopar guy at heart. But I have owned many other brands... Even vehicles from both sides of the ponds!

But I do have a Stanley Steamer crush...

In conclusion, Pistons, Pushrods, Compression (diesel), and Steam excite me!

Timing belts help make the over priced $3 a F'ing gallon gasoline bearable here in the Republic of California.... Ya Comrad! But not very exciting to drive.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Owned em all .Drove em all. I am building an English car with a Ford motor that will be towed to the track with a Nissan truck.

ffr1222k likes this.
  14. I tend toward Chevys but mostly I just like nice cars, no matter the brand. But, when it comes to saxophones, I'm strictly a Selmer guy.

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-6_3-58-27.png

Hello,

We have grown up with factory brands since we started driving. Back then, Chevy sedans were the prime cruising hot rod for our whole area and in high school. Prior to that, our parents usually stayed with what they liked since they were young and kept at it until other factors came into play.

My dad had a 38 Chevy coupe for his first car back in 1939. He had saved up to buy it used and I remember he told us it was his first car. But, being young and impressionable, we knew that all of his current sedans were Buicks. All along, my brother and I thought he was talking about his long line of Buick coupes and sedans. How is that for brand conscious? Either that or we just did not listen to what he was telling us at that moment. (learning selective listening at such a young age…ha!)

My wife’s dad was always a “Ford” guy and she remembers him constantly rambling on about Ford this, Ford that, etc. After a while, it was a droning sound that kept up into his 90s. She blanked out when her dad would not let her drive the new 1965 Mustang, as he kept it to himself. He obviously did not score many points with his three kids.

Jnaki

But, after all of these years of just having safe, reliable cars or hot rods to drive, including two El Caminos during our first few years of being together, my wife was not brand conscious. She knew what she liked, we just happened to own a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery (327, a/c, etc.) but, remained neutral about being brand conscious. The vehicle had to be the best deal, safe car, fit into our budget and be reliable for it to be favored by her. By this time, the USA factory cars were going nowhere and the European brands began to take precedence.

One day in the recent times, she visited her sister and saw a bunch of old hot rods and cruisers at an event in the OC. Her old hot rod influenced eye caught a bunch of cars that she knew I would like to see later, when she showed me the digital photos. There were plenty of cool hot rods, cool cruisers and one big surprise.

But, what confused me was that a red/white 59 Ford Skyliner was in the mix and she thought that it was the best in the show.(other than the 40 Ford Convertible) A FORD? She thought it would be rather cool to drive around in this hardtop (most of the times) but have the access to the sunny days when the top lifted into the opening trunk.
    upload_2019-3-6_3-59-40.png
    I realized that this Ford Skyliner fit into a girl’s fantasy of driving around So Cal in a convertible with the sun glaring down on them. This one just happened to have some protection that could show up anytime. Someone on the HAMB, mentioned that the Skyliner in this mode, “…looked like a Praying Mantis” sitting among the old cars. Actually, it could be called one of the first “Transformers” for you young folks.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  16. LAROKE

LAROKE

I like American Iron. I can appreciate the Pacific rim scrubbing bubbles and Eurotrash but, for the most part, they aren't a good fit for me.

17. 1pickup

1pickup

Fender v Gibson? Look left for my answer. Although, I have a soft spot for old Silvertones.
    I've had: Chevy powered AMC. Pontiac powered Chevy. Olds powered Chevy. Cadillac powered Buick. Starting to look like I'm a GM fan, huh? Considered a sbc for my '39 Ford, but soooo glad it still has a flathead. My '49 Merc currently has the stock fh, but there is a nailhead in shop begging to go in there. So, whatever runs & fits is OK with me. I get a little miffed @ the Mopar or no car guys. They always seem to be the ones who start these fights, & won't listen to reason.

18. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Old Ford tin and Chevrolet Iron.

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I'm happy with my Gender, or is it a Fibson? 20190306_074702.jpg

Flathead Dave likes this.
  20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Man, I also hate stuff that is completely hidden that makes it easier on old parts and greatly improves drivability. ;) What do you think about electronic ignitions? :D

21. Terrible80

Terrible80

A lot of times, my choices are more financially driven. I've had a lot of good cars by a lot of different manufacturers.

alanp561 and raven like this.
  22. I got an old motor that makes over 400 horse and has over 150K on the clock (I have lost count but the engine in question has worn out several bodies). Never had an OD and still consistently gets over 20 MPG, and had not had the heads off since '97. I may ring it before I use it in its next body sans OD of course.

OD is fine in the wife's '05 Silverado, of course the computer helps it to run @ idle or 7K where as my older engine is only really strong from 3-7K. ;)

Maybe if I had an OD it would run well over a million miles. :D

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

give Beaner a Flathead, stick him on hwy 435 and see how quick he wants an overdrive lol.

I think his distaste for them has more to do with people using them for a bandaid on a cut that isn’t there. People do the math and see they will be cruising that v8 at 3500+ rpm and figure based on there daily drivers rpm that the old v8 will pop at that sort of sustained rev. Etc

24. Well there is a reason why I don't put 100 horses in a car and call it a hot rod. LOL

I actually had a flathead merc in the '70s with an OD that I liked really well. The free wheeling took a little getting used to. For the most part whatever I own is normally gear correctly for what I am using it for. Unlike the modern rodder I did not grow up driving an Accord. I did own a Neon once though. :D

Tim likes this.
  25. I never owned a Plymouth, I have nothing against them just the right one never came along. HRP

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Not really a brand"snob".Just like a good solid,reliable vehicle.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I leaned to MoPar's early in life (dad had a 38 & 40 Ford, then a 49 and 50 Nash) with a 52, 55 and 58 Dodge and his last car was a new 63 Dodge Dart. My first car was a 62 Plymouth Valiant, a 63 Ford Fairlane (had it for years) a Javelin/Plymouth/Ford Mazda Courier/C10 Chevy, Vette , etc and many years later I have a Ford F150, 38 Chevy and a 53 Studebaker. I guess the only ones I missed were Kaisers/Frazers:)

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

>>Oh, 31Vicky, Heinz is good but you might give Trader Joe's ketchup a try, I used to be a Heinz guy too, but no more.<<
    Heinz is a jon kerry marriage brand. None of that sh&t for me, either.

29. If Im trying to make money its gotta be a chevy. I prefer a Pontiac engine. Ive installed lots of Pontiac engines in chevy trucks. I like the FE fords. A ford car or truck is hard to sell.

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I remember an OLD Western I saw as a youngster, must have been 1950-'52.
    The surly cowpoke wore his rig low, gunslinger style...'built a smoke', lit it, and when asked who he'd be willing to work for, he drawled, "I ride for the brand..."
    Never forgot that. Sometime around '53, riding my '49 Hawthorne bike. paper route bags on the rear fender, some older 'toughs' jacked me up on a corner by the firehouse..."Who ya throwin' for, Kid?"
    Recalling that old western, I fairly drawled, "I ride for the Call Bulletin..." They let me past. (one of 'em was a guy I boxed with at Father Schmidt's gym. Lucky...)

Brand loyalty is very real. Sometimes a preference that becomes a phobia.
    My Mom always had Fords...not stock ones. Very hopped up Model A 4 bangers.
    I liked Fords, because in '53, '54, and so on the older hot rodders all had T's, A's, lots of '32s. Fords one and all.
    My '56 Ford was a Chevy eater. When I did something to it, I got surprised at how it responded. Lots of tricks, but it was an 'underdog'. It needed some 'massaging'...
    I loved it, because every kid in Santa Clara and surrounding communities were Chevy fans. Easy entry level cars that were 'fast', and easy to add stuff to. I'd lay dead for them...but theirs was blind loyalty.
    "The only answer".
    It'd be years before MY Fords got Chevy power...but it has happened...Oh, and JIF peanut butter. Try it. You owe it to yourself.
    The folks that proclaim: "I only drink 'Jack'." If they haven't tried George Dickel, they don't know jack.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019