Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who put a 4 speed in their Model T or A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebstew187, Sep 23, 2010.

1. rebstew187

rebstew187

I'm working on a 27 T. The body is channeled over the frame so the engine is hi in the bay. I was thinking of running a hand shaker instead of a automatic but I'm worried about room. Does anyone have any pics of their z bar set up, pedals ect ect? With the placement of the trans it leaves me with little room in the floor boards. I'm just wonder if it's worth the trouble or the end results will be having to knee myself it the face to hit the clutch pedal. Some have been told to ditch the old style set up and run a slave but I'm not into all that new stuff. Any pics of the pedal set up. How you did the Z bar? Any pros and cons for the stick install. I know the A is bigger just thought someone may have a cool idea for the Z bar or something else. Pics would tell a 1000 tales if ya got 'em. Thanks

2. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

here's a picture from my current build, i used stock model a pedals and made the assembly. hard to tell in the picture but the clutch pedal is layed forward when i took the picture

the shifter is an old hurst set-up

[​IMG]

3. rebstew187

rebstew187

Not at all the set up I had in my mind but that looks really nice. I may have to rethink the way I was going to do it after I seen yours. Nice find on the bellhousing too. Cool!
    Anyone else??

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  4. chubbie

chubbie

mine is a '30 A with a 4 speed. dont have any pictures because its hard to see any thing! my pedals hang on the fire wall. I used a Z bar from a "60 chevy narrowed it, bent up a rod, and that was it! I love the 4 speed!!!!

5. I have a 4sp in my channeled A truck.

Hydraulic clutch with hanging pedals so I didn't have to mess with linkage.
    The shifter comes trhough the front of the seat, I did have to cut part of the frame out and there's quite a "bend" in the shifter, but it works great.

Had to move the shifter forward and toward the passenger side.

6. Paul2748

Paul2748

I had a 4 speed behind a Boss 302 in a Model A and used a hydraulic clutch. No problems with it and I ran the car all over for about ten years.

7. rebstew187

rebstew187

The 27 will be stripped down with no hood. I don't like the looks of the hydraulic clutch. I know the slave could be hid but I like the old stuff. Nothing wrong with hydraulic clutch set ups other than it's just not my taste.
    Anyone else have any pics of their set ups???
    Let's see some pics..

8. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

saginaw 4 speed, 39 pedals with stock master cyl., behind a 276 flattie, all in an unboxed A frame.

Attached Files:

9. IGOR

IGOR

I'm runnin a muncie in my 29 Sedan. Pedals through the floor. Blowproof bellhousing. It's definitely tight but it fits and works great. After I got mine done I saw a setup someone did using a cable out of a mustang. Looked SUPER simple. It mighta' been DRUSS' Vicky Sedan that had it. Look him up.

Attached Files:

10. Here's the hanging pedal assembly if you do decide to go hydraulic.

you can also see the Z in the shifter.

Attached Files:

11. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

better picture of just the pedal assembly, brake pushes and the clutch pulls

[​IMG]

12. mullskull

mullskull

now that's a handsome pedal assembly..great work seventhirteen!

13. 4ever18

4ever18

Here are a few photos of the pedals, linkage, and bellcrank used in my brother's Model A coupe.

Attached Files:

14. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

Any pictures of the completed 4 speed? I am thinking I will use a saginaw in my coupe. Is there anything you would reccomend to do differently? (shifter, location, ect)

15. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I used a ansen style hanging pedals om my 31 model A. Use GM clutch and master cylinder which bolts to pedal assembly. (around early 60"s).....(Check on ebay for ansen pedal assembly, I got mine there.), I used a GM truck bellhousing which has the slave cylinder bracket built in. (don't recall year of bellhousing, but I got it on ebay as well.) Then a hydralic line from master to slave, and you are done..Easy and works flawlessly. Good luck. If I had your email, Im could shoot you some photo's. PM with it if you wish. This site does load my photo's very well.

16. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

forgot to mention, I used a muncie, but saginaw is same principle, good luck.