Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who makes the best pie crust slick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadFarmer, Apr 11, 2017.

1. I currently have a set of Hurst Pie Curst slicks on my '55 but they are starting to turn white on the sidewalls and I can read Goodyear faintly from the capped tire. Plus I've read some horror stories about them coming apart so I want to get them switched out before something bad happens.
    I'm running 30x10.50s

sb5523.jpg sb5523.jpg 12552716_970063739747132_5977523743525407852_n.jpg

WC145, rod1, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  2. belair

belair

I want to know too. Loved the car at the LSR.

Deuces and RoadFarmer like this.
  3. Radir's are the only ones that aren't recaps. I've heard good things about Towel City too, but they are retreads.

[​IMG]

Deuces, Paul, MUNCIE and 2 others like this.
  4. I don't own a set, but I have heard really good things about Towel City tires!

Deuces, Nailhead Jason and Gammz like this.

5. I like Towel City tires. But they are also caps.

I have heard good things about the 'stones and the radirs.

Deuces and Gammz like this.
  6. I really don't like the look of the Firestone pie crust, looks like a snow tire to me! I know......who asked me! :rolleyes::)

Deuces, Moriarity, Torkwrench and 3 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah out of all the conversations like this towel city seems to come out on top every time

Deuces and RoadFarmer like this.
  8. LMAO

I am not sure about the pie crusts the smoothies are not street tires that you can race on they are race tires that you can drive on the street. ;)

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. This is just opinion, but M&H makes a set of pie crust tires for the street and I hear good things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. I'd like to see them! Didn't know they were repopping those.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I have the 9 x 15 M&H Vintage Drag Slicks, they are not pie crust, and they work fine for racing use. Not for street use....I have some L78-15 Coker Classics I run on the street, they're roughly the same size.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Avgas like this.
  12. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Without doubt the Radir slicks and cheaters RULE!! They are expensive but are NOT Recaps rather they are hand made old school bias from original M/T molds. M&H actually made the molds for Mickey Thompson in the '60's. With the 10.00's mounted on 6" rims you can let the air pressure down as the AFX Guys did in '65 and really plant a large foot print to the track!!

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Doctorterry like this.
  13. Raunchy

Raunchy

I have 3 sets of Towel City pie crust slicks 2 pairs grooved. Even then not good in the rain. But wear good and hook good one set the 31 10.50 15's have about 20'000 miles on them and are still going. Lots of the grooving is shallow on them now. They are a heavy tire, making shipping high. But we are dealing with specialty tires. There is nothing wrong with a recap if it is done right. My experience with the Towel City's is they did mine right.

14. No cheaters are good in the rain. They are a fair weather tire.

The thing with Towel City is that they have been capping racing tires since gawd knows when. They got the process down.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Gammz like this.
  15. Towel City is about a 10 minute drive from my front door. Those guys have been doing tires for forever. Got em on my 37 and all my previous vehicles.

Deuces likes this.
  16. At least three generations I believe. If you are ever in the area check out their shop. Mom and Pop tire dealer in a very old building. From what I remember its an old wooden quonset hut. Good people

17. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I was on the phone with them today. Wasn't sure why they hadn't taken the money out of my account for my order yet. The fella told me its old skool way of doing things. We haven't gave you anything yet so we aren't going to take your money till we ship them. Thought that was pretty cool.

18. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Towel City has been around as long as I can remember. At 72yo and a lifelong resident of the area They have a good reputation at making recaps. Their quality is as good as any and has always been family owned and operated.

Deuces likes this.
  19. cs39ford

cs39ford

IMG_0686.JPG This is my second set of radirs. I have had this set 3 years. And first set 5 years. Been very happy

WC145, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Used to have Towel City make recaps for police skid pan cars. Ran hundreds of them without a failure.
    Been to their place . They are good people.

Deuces likes this.
  21. Todd553

Todd553

I have Towel City slicks on my roadster and my Pontiac. I'll buy them again. No grooves on the 9 inch slicks on the roadster and 2 grooves on the 8 inch Tires on the 57. Towel City will also make soft or hard compuonds. 10443124_896237300425326_1091891023456715971_o.jpg DSC_2666.jpg DSC_1049.jpg

22. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

Towel City on my pops A.
    IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2612.JPG

23. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

What is the widest section width on Towel City's 15 in pie crust? I would be mounting them on a 10 in wheel. I really like the look of their tire.

24. Nobody makes authentic looking vintage style pie crusts that mimic the grand old Inglewood Pos-A-Traction originals. New/old 10"x15" Inglewood shown below. Radirs are probably the closest.

tires rear.jpg

25. badvolvo

badvolvo

Radirs on my 59. Hook pretty well. photo (11).jpg photo (9).jpg

26. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I had a set of Hurst recaps. Was very happy for about 3 months then they started to come apart. Many phone calls and messages never answered. I heard they went out of business or moved. They suck

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

^^^Those headlights on the black car look familiar.

28. if those are the only headlights you recognize we really need to get serious about tuning your 409. :D

Deuces and greasemonkey54 like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well I do see them a lot in my rear view mirror of my Suburban. ;)
    I do need to get you over here and see the mess I have on my hands now. :(

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. It'll have to happen on a weekend these days. The care and feeding of a 93 year old Cherokee woman is a lot like work. Who knew?

I like messes by the way, if its already a mess I don't have to worry about screwing it up.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Gammz like this.