Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes the best oil filter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty O'Toole, Oct 31, 2016.

1. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

It's in how I clearance the motor for that weight oil , just something I've always done when I'm building a motor I way go through like 10-15 sets of bearings to find the wright clearances

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Back in the late seventies when I was a young guy, I put this 383 mopar together for a buddy. He wasn't that thrilled about the performance, and I knew it should be pretty strong, so I asked him to take me for a ride and show me.
    He just kinda tenatively rolls it on about 35 MPH in drive, and its leisurely shifting itself about 5500 , so I fire off a stream of expletives, told him to pull the #$%& over and let me drive. So I casually cruise it up to about 30 mph, yank the shifter down into first and NAIL it. So it is pulling like jack the bear, and hes impressed, looking a little scared I shift into 2nd about 6200, wind it up past 6000 in second, all of a sudden oil pressure drops to ZERO and a big cloud of shit blows out of the pipes, I shit a brick. Pulled it into a gas station, and I am feeling a little queasy. Pop the hood, oil EVERYWHERE, took a minute to realize what had happened. Sucked the guts right out of the oil filter, even the can was sucked in a bit. You dont even want to think about what a hassle it was to tear it down and clean all that shit up. Ever since then, I have paid a LOT more attention to oil filter construction.
    As a general rule, Im not that concerned about wearing engines out, I worry more about blowing them up.

Montana1, slowmotion and 19Eddy30 like this.
  3. zzford

zzford

I order my Wix filters online. They run about $3-$3.50 apiece. I usually order a half dozen at a time to save on shipping.

4. primed34

primed34

Only time I ever used a Fram my oil pressure at idle dropped about 10 lbs. Thought that's odd and then heard about others having issues with Fram. Changed back to an AC Delco (probably didn't run the motor five minutes with the Fram) and the oil pressure came back to normal. So much for getting a free filter with oil purchase. I now use Wix since AC doesn't make the PF35 anymore to my knowledge.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Some people exceed the specs for oil changes by changing oil and filter more often than factory recommendation. Years ago it was something like every 3000 miles, then 7,500, and changing filter every other oil change.

I don't think I've ever left a filter on anywhere near 7000 miles much less 15000. Will an oil filter still flow after 7500 miles? With more typical short trips and stop and go, I'd think they would be sludged up and in bypass. The point someone made about not wanting an engine to blow up is a good one. Engines wear out, but it's not because of scheduled oil change intervals.

slowmotion likes this.
  6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Falcongeorge
    jack the bear!!!!

Is that a north or border saying !!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I don't know, maybe PNW? It was written on Coonrods Willys, but I think guys were saying it long before that!

warbird1 likes this.
  8. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Damn, that's fun!!!

9. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I have used them all, and lots of Frams too, never had any issues. Oh the orange cans of death, should I have blown up an engine....LOL
    No issues with engine life, I run Parts Master right now, made by Wix, and Napa house brand too.
    Best course of preventive action, is change oil and filter often and when it's needed......

10. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Don't think any oil filter, or any filter could help any 2300CC Vega/Astre engine, had a couple of those oil burners, or do they even need a filter, as they get a fresh quart of oil with every tank of gas......

11. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I used a "Canton" oil filter set up as the diameter was just 3" and with a tight fit on my '40 PS 605 box the extra 3/8" allowed me to snake the 2" pipe thru using Rams Horn manifolds. Also the canton has a selection I believe of diffeent Micron size filter elements that you drop out of the canister and dispose of like the old style SBC.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It depends on whether you use your car the way hot rodders traditionally used their cars, or whether you use your car like a "traditional" hot rodder...;)

langy likes this.
  13. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Never babied anything, used many Frams and many other brands. I have had trouble with low oil or coolant loss and a hot engine, but an issue with the oil filter, not in my experiences.
    I don't use any Fram filters at this time, but used them a lot in the past including Motomaster, made by Fram.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

15. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

No I get it, just in my 35 years of driving never blew up an engine , because of an oil filter. I have done an oil change, and started engine and had an immediate bad leak at the filter to block.
    I Have no issues with anyone's preference, but always enjoy what others base there choices on, hearsay, marketing or genuine experience and empirical testing.
    I currently am running Partsmaster oil filters manufactured by WIX, or WIX in all my engines.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

To be honest, I didn't blow up the engine above either. I immediately got off the gas, put it in neutral, and coasted to a gas station at the end of the block.

17. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Motorcraft has nothing to do with Ford any more.
    AC Delco has nothing to do with GM any more.
    Wix was just purchased by Mann & Hummel.
    Champion Labs (builder of AC Delco/Champ/Luber-finer/K&N) just filed chapter 11.
    Fram just restructured....again.

18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Been using Mobile1 filters here for years. One of those cut apart demos convinced me. Wix got good reviews too, but nobody around here sells them. Napa supposed to be good, too, but haven't tried them.

Tried K&N a couple of times. Might be a nice filter, but that nut shaped thing on the end made it a bitch to remove. Couldn't get a strap type wrench around it, transmission in the way. Couldn't get a cup type wrench on it either. And that easy remove nut shaped thing isn't actually any size that a socket fits, and its sides aren't square, so a socket won't turn it either.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

There seem's that most thave comment on this tread ,its not just about a brand ,
    Its about the wright filter for the wright Application , and who makes a good filter ,

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

seb fontana likes this.
  21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

You're right, it can be a little bit of a PITA. I use a 1" 6pt socket if you can get a straight shot on it. Also have an old 1" flat wrench I've found handy, it's thin maybe an eighth inch thick. Or a rubber strap wrench sometimes. If you don't have a straight shot, it can get interesting.

23. dwollam

dwollam

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I will use Wix over K&N any day of the week...;)

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

I would too George, though usually the Napa Golds are more handy. My sons are K&N fanboys so....it's their deal.:rolleyes:
    K&N's too damn proud of 'em for me. :eek::D

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I know a couple racers that have experienced the same failure I described above with the K&N's. Pretty sure the Napa Gold and the Wix black are the same filter. We don't have Napa in Canada, so the Wix is easier to get for me.

27. I like Wix, that's what I sell and install on engines I build.

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. George, NAPA is available and are the largest aftermarket auto parts distributor in Canada.
    They also have a Oil Filter Sale the first week of February every year, and there prices are great if you buy quantity.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

DOH! :oops:I mostly use Lordco, Mopac or Deckers, I didn't know that!

57 Fargo likes this.
  30. I use AC filters on everything, but have never actually had a problem with any of them!