Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who makes the best 1931 fiberglass fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steve hackel, Jun 16, 2020.

1. steve hackel

steve hackel

Please, don't jump all over me for asking this question !
    I have original steel fronts, but even with all my skills and equipment at hand, I could never make these much better than "POOR" examples at best. There is rehbar, threaded rods, washers and heavy odd steel plates welded everywhere behind all the old cracks and damage.
    I will end up keeping these for parts and sections for future repairs on other fenders etc, but for now I'll just take the cowards way out and just install fiberglass fronts and live with them. So, "Who" in your opinions makes the best 1931 fiberglass front fenders ? Thanks for your help, Steve

firstinsteele likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. trollst

trollst

Wescotts, by far......

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have two sets but shipping would be expensive.

5. Budget36

Budget36

I've seen some really nice looking A fenders in the classifieds for what seems like nice prices...would guess they may even come in less expensive than new fiberglass ones bought and shipped as well.

6. 5window

5window

7. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

You might check with Brookville Roadster....They make really good bodies so I would imagine there fenders are pretty nice and they offer glass and steel...

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

9. 5window

5window

Brookville's catalog prices their fenders at $460 each, but clearly state that there fenders are NOT made by them.

10. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have Wescott glass front fenders on my 30 pickup and they are 20 years old, sit outside and use it as a daily driver. My avatar is a 28 I built in the late 80 and it had Wescott fenders all around, was happy with them. They are thick and held up great. I have Brookville steel rear fenders on the 30 Coupe I'm building and they fit fairly well so can recommend using either. I don't know what the prices are now but would go with steel unless the price difference is huge.

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the quality of speedway Motors fenders like?

12. Westcott is the best when it comes to fiberglass.

1931 Ford fenders go for $ 425 ea. HRP

13. 5window

5window

So you've got Westcott's glas' vs" Brookville's" steel and $70 difference for the pair. Plus shipping.

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Heck you likely can get a good pair and maybe shipped for less then a pair of new ones.

15. steve hackel

steve hackel

Brookville does not make the steel fenders they sell, as stated on their web site. There is only on manufacturer of 30/31 front fenders and they have serious issues with the fit at the splash aprons and also the running boards. The fenders need to be split at the body form line and material added, and the end needs to be cut off at the running board and completely reworked. It's not as simple as just paying another $75 or so and be done with it, as so many accomplished people have explained over on the
    Barn ; it's literally dozens of hours of tedious and meticulous work for an experienced body man to accomplish.... So, unless I run across a fantastic deal on a pair of mint steel fenders, I'll probably end up with the Wescotts fiberglass fenders......

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Steve
    If you are lucky enough to catch that rabbit it may prove very expensive, so much so that the best (Wescott) and probably the most expensive fiberglass fenders out there will seem like a bargain.
    Yeh, I'm biased (note my avatar) but that is based primarily on the fact that Wescotts' 32 roadster bodies were long considered to not only be the strongest but also the most accurate body on the market.
    Happy hunting.

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You might as well get Wescotts because you “want a fantastic deal on a set of mint ones” sounds like you expect the world but don’t want to pay a fair price.

WiredSpider and Budget36 like this.
  18. 5window

5window

Not that I doubt you and I am no metal magician, but clearly folks are buying, and using the "Brookville" fenders on their Brookville projects. If they truly are as bad as you state, then Brookville would quickly have been inundated with serious complaints. Yet, they don't seem to be. So does that mean Brookville bodies are altered so the fenders will fit-or are they sourcing better fenders?

19. 5window

5window

So, who makes the fenders? Gaslight makes these, in the US. http://www.gaslightauto.com/items/Model-A-Parts/Ford-Front-Fenders/list.htm
    Howell's lists these: https://www.fordor.com/search_results.cfm

So, that would seem to indicate at least two US made sources, unless they're trading