Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes quality rear end gears?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Mopar 8 3/4 are not inherently noisy,,,,,,,bad advice there for sure .
    I don’t know of any particular OEM brand that was noisy as a rule .
    I’m certain no one wants to buy a roaring,,grinding automobile.
    Now,,,,,I have seen several shops that can’t work on Mopars,,,that is true .
    The same rule goes for Ford as well,,,,,,not everyone can work on a Ford .
    Certain makes kind of have there own personality,,,,,,it takes experience and a keen eye to get the best out of them .

The same goes for Olds engines,,,,,I would be lost working on an Olds .
    But,,,it’s not the engines fault,,,,it’s my fault for not knowing what to do,,or to look for .
    Like the man said,,,,,,,A man has got to know his limitations,,,,,,.

Also,,,,,don’t blame the parts or machine for your short comings,,,,this happens way too often .
    If I have a failure or issue with something,,,,I immediately blame myself.
    That keeps me honest and makes me look for what I did wrong,,,,,,and more times than not I realize I did it right .
    But,,,,,that keeps me from doing it wrong and blaming the parts or process and not getting better myself .
    There are some amazing mechanics and talented individuals on here,,,as well as in the public .
    But,,,they are not all created equal,,,,,,I have had experience with some real ding bats,,,,,,worked for some real losers .
    And even then,,,,they all managed to stay in business,,,,,,for years,,,before finally closing shop and starting over .
    LoL,,,,,it’s a crazy mixed up world .

Tommy

ottoman, Brand Apart and loudbang like this.
  2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

All the quality gear sets I have purchased have a pinion depth scribed on the back of the pinion gear . Some of the cheap shit did not. I have used Richmond , Yukon and a couple of others. It's all about being careful with your set up . I always use a pinion depth gauge and set the backlash within tolerance. I am not a big Ford guy but I appreciate the way pinion depth is set on a 9 inch compared to a Chevy 10 or 12 bolt.

3. RR

RR

I have used Yukon, Richmond and US Gear with no problems in 9” , 14 bolt and 12 bolts. When set up correctly, no noise. As for Quick Performance- I bought an assembled 9” center section and a fab 9” housing. Good quality stuff.

4. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I had purchased a 9” kit from quick performance. It’s hard to beat the price and convince but the gears came in a white unmarked box and I wasn’t happy with them at all. If I were to do it again I would definitely upgrade to a better gear set.

Sporty45 likes this.
  5. Sporty45

Sporty45

What didn't you like about the gears? I will upgrade to better known gears if necessary.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  6. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I mentioned this in post 16. And did want to go into great detail but they were horribly noisy. They were fine on acceleration and deceleration but at cruising speed you couldn’t turn up the radio loud enough. And I did put over 500 miles on them as recommended for brake in. I had called them to maybe get some help as I thought I must have set them up wrong. They asked for pics of pattern which I did and then I couldn’t get them to respond back. I left messages and emails. This was not my first time setting up a r&p. I did some research and went with US Gear and never looked back. And this was using all the same Timken bearings set with the same rolling torque as per 9” speck. I have also used Yukon gear and been very happy.

loudbang and Sporty45 like this.
  7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You young fellers crack me up. Zoom has been around since 1966 and their parent company has been around since 1919. Here's an ad from Hot Rod magazine, 1969
    zoom gears.jpg

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Ha. Almquist was around back in the day too, doesn't mean the stuff was good.

TagMan likes this.
  9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Yeah, I see what you mean. Don Schumacher ran Zoom gears, as did Don Garlits, Tiny Lund and others…

zoom gears 7.jpg
    zoom gears 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2021
    loudbang and X38 like this.
  10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the info from the guy who set up my rear end. Attached is a copy of the info provided by Moser Engineering for their gears regarding gear noise. gears 001.jpg gears2.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What was the question?:)

12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was the question

loudbang likes this.
  13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I want to be a member of the "Zippie Club"!