Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who knows their stuff on aviation seats?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Apr 10, 2017.

1. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I picked up an old military aircraft seat at the Portland swap meet ad I'm thinking about putting it in our dragster project. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/northwest-vintage-dragster-group-build.1037259/

I'm going to have to remove all of the original hardware from the back of it in order for it to work. Before doing that I thought I had better atleast identify it and make sure I'm not cutting up a $1000 bill. One guy at the swap meet was just sure it was out of a Stearman and sounded like he knew what he was talking about. But on a websearch every stearman seat i have found is made of wood, basically the same shape but not aluminum.
    20170410_082015.jpg
    20170410_102521.jpg
    20170410_102531.jpg
    20170410_102538.jpg 20170410_102545.jpg
    20170410_102555.jpg

1927graham likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I know I need to spend more time at the Pima Air Museum....

3. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Yeah take this picture and run over there:D

4. squirrel

squirrel

75 miles away....I'll be in Tucson tomorrow, but probably won't be able to spend a few hours at the museum.

5. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Ok.I sent Randy an email, I'll let you know what he says.

1927graham likes this.
  7. brady1929

brady1929

Cool seat

squirrel likes this.
  8. You might try Planes of Fame and Yankee Air Museum in Chino (Google them).These guy REALLY know their stuff and are very cool.I spent some time in the Fame shop years ago , was most impressed.If they don't know, nobody does.It ain't Stearman though, I'm thinking more modern than that. The Stearman was really a 30's aircraft, yours looks way newer to me. Maybe a chopper.
    It IS VERY COOL!

http://planesoffame.org/index.php?page=contact-us-2

http://yankeeairmuseum.org/contact-us/

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

It is amazing how close they are considering one is wood, here is a picture from someones fleebay ad [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe they made them both ways....?

10. Not all Stearmans had wooden seats... the one I work on has metal ones. I'll take a closer look at ours tomorrow. Also check the seats in the PT-19 and T-6's...

squirrel likes this.
  11. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Your friend helped me out and took the time out of his day to educate me and I will pass it on here, cut and paste from his e-mail;

It’s an Observers seat, It could be out of a Medium Bomber, used for training.

The Gov. contract on these items, would allow many makers.

If You factor in how many Twin Engine Aircraft were made during an incredible time frame of only 4 Years.

The number is staggering!! Ive got 3 different seats in My B-25, and each is similar to this, and attachment is also similar.

The holes in the upper back, were for clipping in the seat cushion, and the lap belt ears on the seat butt. It is for sure WWII, although, installation on what???

They aint very comfortable!! I flew B-52’s, We used to say You started out a 12 Hr. mission, sitting on a 2x6 on its face,

After 8 Hrs. it was turned on its side, and after 10, it became a ¼ In. sheet of Plywood!!!

Randy

Randy also sent a picture of his 37' with a Ball turret from a B-17 mounted on it, pretty cool!
    DSC06110.JPG

12. Randy and the guys at the Champaign Aviation Museum are a great bunch, I used to fly in there often with my biplane when I had a grass strip 7 miles to the south, I announced their airshows for a number of years. They have some beautiful WWII planes on display (theirs) and the B-17 project is coming along nicely, this is simply a great place to visit if ever in the area. I recall the ball turrent was found in a bar in Washington State, years ago, hanging from the ceiling, they paid $30,000 for it, it will go in their B-17. Glad they could help you, keep their contact info on file.
    Craig Cochran
    Wisconsin

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've got mad skillz. Just clone it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

....and start selling them

gimpyshotrods and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Me thinks that your friend Randy should have no problems with tailgaters with his truck:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

1927graham likes this.
  16. The seat is very similar to those in our PT-19. But, Randy Kemp has put you on the right track with his information...