Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who knows the ins and outs of pistons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luckypabst, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Luckypabst

Luckypabst

I have some questions about replacing a (as in one) piston in my truck.

I was about halfway through a ring job today and was cleaning the pistons, really getting into it and rushing. I set one piston/rod assembly down wrong and it fell off the bench, breaking the skirt.

On the NAPA site, I've found a Clevite piston that's an exact dimensional match to what I have. If it works out, it would be 20 bucks compared to the cost of a full set of 6.

What I don't know is whether it is a true match. I can't find any marks that would indicate a manufacturer or a part number on what I have. I guess my question is are all stock replacement pistons built to a standard pattern regardless of who makes it?

On the other hand, it's a very masculine truck and real men don't wear skirts so I could just bust all the rest off to match.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

It will work.

3. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Mismatched pistons can cause engine vibration. Just ask me. Dealing with that now. Too f'n poor to pull motor down again and have everything balanced and shit, so I just run it.

This is assuming it's a V-block motor. If you're inline, you should be just fine.

4. When I was in high school, we were too damn poor to spend big bucks on our Y-blocks and s.b.c.'s. If we blew a piston, we replaced it with a napa or western auto or JC Whitney replacement piston and bought one set of rings for one piston. We never wound our stuff high enough to cause further problems. I can't remember anybody having any problems over it.
    Scotty Schrier even replaced one in his 283 [out to 292] in the sagebrush next to our "dragstrip", which was the old hiway, abandoned when the state built a new one. Other than picking up a few ticks, he had no further problems.

5. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

I admit ignorance to replacing pistons- I need to replace the rings on mine, and the rod bearings may be going. But I was told to put in new ones, the block would need to be bored, particularly from the top.
    To remove from the bottom, I've been told I must remove the crank, not just a singular rod 'n piston. Is there a way around this?

6. Luckypabst

Luckypabst

Thanks guys, mostly what I wanted to hear. It's a Ford 300-6, not a high revver by any means but it does see 2+ hour freeway runs at 3000 rpm.

HumboldtCat, they're probably talking about the "ridge" at the top of the cylinder. I was lucky and got the pistons out with a little persuasion but if it's built up too much you can get a ridge reamer that will cut the junk out of the top of the cylinder.

Chris

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

If money is a major issue, buy one. Otherwise you can get a set of 6 very affordably from PAW or Northern Auto Parts.