Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who is your go to chrome plater?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 25, 2017.

1. I have dealt with quiet a few bin my 50 years of having parts chromed,some have been less than first quality and some have been exemplary.

I have been extremely happy with the work from Advanced Plating in Nashville,Tenn. on all my pot metal and steel parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also want to give a nod to Tri-City Plating in Elizabethan, Tenn. and the quality they do on bumpers.

[​IMG]

How about you guys? HRP

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. I have only used advanced in Nashville always had good work.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chrome Tony at Pacific Plating here in Vancouver. I just picked up my brake/clutch pedals and my front shock mounts this week. They look perfect, $250.00? Fogetaboutit.

Jet96, 3W JOHN, 1949 mercury and 2 others like this.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Advanced Plating.

3W JOHN, da34guy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

I got some bumpers done in Tucson 7 years ago, was not real happy with them. I had some other parts done by another shop in Tucson about 20 years ago, they did pretty well on many of the parts, but some did not come out well.

Mostly I don't get parts plated, because it's so difficult and expensive, and the results are hit or miss.

What was it that Stroker said? "If it don't go..."

7. metalman

metalman

For years I used a local shop owned by a good friend plus my wife worked there. Always top quality and really cheap if he charged me anything. I use to chrome a bunch of stuff back then! The guy died in a drag boat accident (rip Tom) and that was the end of that. I use to get good work out of another local shop after that although most folks complained of the quality. I use to bail the guy out fixing stuff his help fu..ed up so he took good care of me. He ended up putting profits up his nose and went under, no more chrome shops in Albuquerque. Now days I use Eletroplating in El Paso, been pretty much happy with them. Sent some to a place in Denver, pure junk and they ruined a few pieces, never again for them.

AZbent, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. 09-10-13_1435.jpg 09-10-13_1520.jpg 20160109_140219.jpg
    Quality Bumper Service in Dallas did the main pieces on this Caddy, nothing pot metal though. They were in fairly decent shape to start with except for a few dings. Sorry it's all so dusty in the assembled pic. I'm happy with the results for the money.

9. blackanblue

blackanblue

Cambridge custom chrome near us does excellent work but pricey, if it just has to be plated it is the goto so powdercoat or paint is the next option.

10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Jon Wright's custom chrome plating. just remember you pay for what you get

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Over the past 40 years I've used 4 or 5 of the major Portland platers, most have closed up.
    Only had one guy that would do show chrome and that's all he did, had to pay a premium but you got what you paid for.
    Been doing satin electroless nickel lately, sure like the look and it's a 1/4 of the cost of chrome.
    20161029_092024.jpg

ls1yj, Jet96, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  13. I too have had good service from Tri City. They bring it to Charlotte Autofair for me to pick up and carry my cores back with them.

contesly, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. They swapped out my less than perfect rusty & dented bumpers and let me inspect the re-chromed bumpers to make sure I was happy. HRP

Jet96, 3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  15. That was my experience too. They let me trade a regular Olds Cutlass rear as a core for a 442 bumper with exhaust cut outs. My front core had damage too.

16. mohead1

mohead1

Browns or Advanced in Tn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think @Blue One had Ogden Chrome in Utah do some chrome plating lately and he seemed very pleased with the quality and the service.

18. For years I used Oregon platers in Portland, recently I sent some stuff to Star Bright in Oregon City and was pleased with the job they did. DSCF4631.JPG DSCF4633.JPG

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Last stuff I had done locally but it's been awhile, I hear chroming in California is pricey due to regulations. I need to have some small parts done and willing to send out of state. Is it possible to get a quote based on photos of normal parts like light housings, emblems etc.?

20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Paul's Chrome Plating in PA. Everything I have had done years ago still looks as good at when it was done. Price was fair and service was spot on time wise. http://www.paulschrome.com/

Pat

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Vic at Star Bright did the bumpers, grille and headlight bezels on my 66 Suburban back in the 90's, the show chrome that I mentioned earlier, nice work.
    I thought I heard he had closed, he had been in Molino near Oregon City.

22. Librandi"s

No need to try anybody else.

Oldmics

GeezersP15, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use DeTray Plating in Independence, MO. They are not cheap but the work is excellent. They do not do bumpers, however.
    For bumpers I am going to try Highline Plating in Cuba, MO. I've never used them but I've heard several people comment on how well they were satisfied with the work.

3W JOHN, badvolvo and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. slug

slug

Jon Wrights Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio can't be beat. Been doing my plating for almost 30 years.

ls1yj, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. His kids took over the business, the plating equipment is still at the old place but they run it out of Oregon city.

26. Ogden Chrome about 10 miles from me. Not cheap but always good work. They do most of the chrome and polishing on my cars.

Mick

27. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I,d argue the 'always good work' comment.
    All I got from them was lies and shitty work.
    They also lost parts from Pinkees and ruined a 32 Cabriolet windshield frame from them Also.
    It looks like they are hit or miss.

Jet96, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. Back in the 60's & 70's I used Browns a lot,mostly for motorcycle parts. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  29. Dirk35

Dirk35

This is good info, I'm replying to this post so Ill be able to find it easier for future use.

3W JOHN likes this.
  30. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

I'll second that (although I've not been doing this for 30 year).

3W JOHN likes this.