Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who is running A/C on their Flathead Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Notice there are several nice compressor/alternator brackets for the Flatheads now. Alan Groves makes one and Vintage has one that's similar. Anyone using either of these brackets? Would like to mount the condenser with an electric fan, somewhere other than in front of the radiator, any suggestions? Are you happy with it's performance?

About 40 years ago I had a 40 Ford. A friend had an add-on A/C he gave me. I installed it on the 40. Worked great for about 10 miles in the country :rolleyes:before it boiled over. About ten minutes in town.:mad: That was the last Flathead I had until now. Guess history repeats itself after all:eek:.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Surely someone is running A/C on their Flathead. Why would these Guys make brackets if there was no demand? I e-mailed Vintage Air with questions about this and got NO response. Hell of a way to run a big company. I like their units, question their Internet Sales.

3. 36tbird

36tbird

Not defending them, but I think a lot of hot rod parts suppliers get busy this time of year gearing up for the various big shows. Living in S.A., I've toured the V.A. facility and found everyone friendly and helpful.

Where's Farmersville? If not too far away you could come over and visit with them directly. Also, you might post your query on the Fordbarn where there are nothing by flathead types and someone probably has a/c on one there.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'd like to see a decent looking install of AC on a flathead. I've never seen one.

5. customrod48

customrod48

I run a vintage air heat/cool/defrost unit on my '50 flatty. I used a bracket that mounts the compressor where the generator was mounted. I also run a high out electric fan (2800CFM). Been installed over 5 years and have had no problems. Car runs cool. flatty runs about 185 unless I am on a very hot blacktop road and it is over 95 outside. Then I run about 195.

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

A/C should not be a problem with your flathead, I ran one for years..I would check the timeing, most flatheads run hot if not timed right..
    Duane.

7. 36tbird

36tbird

Notice where the guys who do not have problems with A/C's on their flattys live.:p

8. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I don't understand??????? If the weather, it gets 105, normaly 90s to a 100 in the summer here is Sacto..
    Duane..

9. Elrod

Elrod

I have had a/c on two model A four bangers. I installed one of them. The Model A guys mount the condenser coil behind the rear axle under the car and use an electric fan. Keeps the heat off the radiator.