Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who here still gas welds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Id be happy to teach anyone to hammer weld just pm me

2. WM3

WM3

Right now i'm leaning toward a gas set-up, but so far everyone has primarily focused on sheet metal or body work. This would be my main focus, but how feasible is doing framework with gas? Boxing frames and doing cross members?

3. It can and has been done but, as much as I preach gas welding, I only use it to butt weld sheet metal. Pretty much everything else I MIG. If you have neither I'd recommend the torch first, then buy a mig. A TIG would be the most versatile. It's High on my want list!

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I agree with Tinbender above but I am not so sure about tig being the most versatile. For the cost of an AC/DC tig you could buy a mig and gas set up. I use Mig for framework gas for sheet metalwork. I learned pipe and plate Gas welding in my teens but for frame welding you would have a lot of heat to contend with not good on a chassis.

David

5. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I have been OAW for many years and wouldn't try to do any sheetmetal with anything else, But I so want to jump on a plane and attend David's(Mindover) welding course. WOW! simply amazing!

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the nice words. You don't have to come here to learn the techniques I use - its all on the DVD. I show it in great detail and you can see a lot better than in the workshop situation. You also have it there to watch over and over until you have mastered it. There is a lot of other information on it as well such as welding aluminium and forming panels with just hand tools. Is a lot cheaper than a course and a hell of a lot cheaper than a plane ticket!.

David

7. WM3

WM3

That's what I've been doing. I got your DVD last week and have probably watched it 3 times (which my wife just rolls her eyes at). You have me very inspired. Thanks! :D

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

WM3

I am glad you like the DVD. Don't worry about you're wife mine has not even watched it. The welding technique is very easy to learn, I have taught many people at college this method and all managed to do it with about six hours practice. One guy last year did a perfect weld after just an hour and he had never gas welded before. Its easier than mig welding I believe.

David