Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has used a Jasper rebuilt engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad s, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Chad s

Chad s

Looking into a rebuilt ford 302 from them. Does anyone have experience with a rebuilt engine from them?

2. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

We buy rebuilt Allison transmissions from them (about 8 a year) we have less trouble with them than we do with the rebuilt ones we buy from the truck dealer.

3. 1959cac

1959cac

That's all my step dad bought for years for his customers, mine have been fine too. Been 10 yrs ago though.

4. bigchuckstud

bigchuckstud

they sell good stuff

5. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

They supply 455 Olds engines to the GMC Motorhome group.
    No complaints.

6. BigChief

BigChief

...on the other hand, we used to be a Jasper dealer 9-10 years ago to suppliment the marina/engine shop so we could satisfy the customers that couldn't wait for a good rebuild. We've had marginal service life (at best) out of the ones we've used. IE - A 351W with a cracked oil galley...an internal leak....that was a fun one to chase down, a 302 Ford with a crank they ground .060 under (or made a mistake on) with .040 under bearings....never really ran it...found the problem during the install, another time we paid extra for a 'premium' marine engine with (as promised by our sales rep) no more than a .10 under regrind and a .030 over bore or less with marine issue head gaskets and brass plugs. Came in as a typical Jasper trash build.....mix and match on the mains (.040 under), .030 under on the rods and the bores were .040 over, standard passenger car gaskets and steel freeze plugs. Thats fine for a heap your sending down the road but for a marine engine its a waste of time and money.

....and we had to fight for every dime when it came to reinbursment, shipping, etc.

NEVER EVER again.

Get something worth putting in a cool car and support your local engine shop at the same time. Many remans are slammed together and are inefficient haybailers..... it comes down to 'do you want a motor that gets you down the road for today or a motor that'll MOVE you for many years to come'?

-Bigchief.

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Chad, PM me. I use them all the time at work and have a cash account. I can order it and take delivery so you get my rates and no tax. But you gotta come get it.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Have bought 2 of them for company pick up trucks..absolutly no complaints

9. Chad s

Chad s

Well my other option is a brand new 302 from ford, and Im really leaning towards it. Its a milage efficient engine, brand new, not rebuilt, no performance stuff (I dont want any, this is going in a custom), including a starter and water pump. This will cost me $2900.

The Jasper engine does not have a starter or water pump, and will run a little under $1950.

Both are long blocks, and do not include intake, carb, dist, etc.

10. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

have only used them once, vowed "never again"

was replacing a V6 Isuzu engine in a Trooper at work

ordered the reman engine.

1st one came with with 2 right hand heads bolted to it.

suffered through their warranty world, they didnt have another of this engine,
    so they were going to send me a left hand head and gaskets.

got a head 3 weeks later (meanwhile the customers car is apart in the shop)
    was another right hand head, and gaskets for a v8 engine of some sort

again, worked thru their warranty department, they couldn't come up with the correct parts (this came from their Bellingham, WA warehouse/plant)

they suggested we take the original engine apart, ship it and all the parts they had sent us back to Indiana, then they would send them to Bellingham to build one engine from the bunch of parts...

fast forward another 6 weeks, all the while my customer was in a rental car, we get
    an engine dropped off by FedEx...

they put it all together, said it was ready to drop in, but they didnt fasten it to the pallet very well, and it was broken in shipment.

after another 2 months, they supplied an engine to us, they had to buy one from a salvage yard and rebuild it.

we would usually overhaul them ourselves, but we were working with an
    extended warranty company, and they didnt want to mess with "fixing" it...

in the end, the engine we finally got worked well, and they paid us a crazy amount of
    labor and about three months of car rental, but it was a pain in the a** to get it done.

my vote is "NO", if you are asking for a reference.

11. 6-71

6-71

I dont have any personal experience with them, but there is a local HAMB guy who had 3 jasper engines installed in his DD before they got a good one.The secretary at our shop had the ford dealer install 3 Jasper transmissions in her Grand Marquis. maybe the third time is a charm :)

12. mudbog42

mudbog42

I have a Chevy 350 from them in my truck and haven't had any problems or complaints so far. I've been running it for almost 4 years now...

13. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I use them exclusively for my shop for 12 years. I have had a couple of problems over the years but customer service was right there to take care of it. Have one in my F350. I tried some others but quality and customer service was not there.

14. scarylarry

scarylarry

Tranny in my Dodge diesel, works great.

15. Racewriter

Racewriter

I bought a Jasper 350 Chevy about 12 years ago to run in my late model. Bought a short block from them and put Dart Sportsmans on top of it. Ran it 1 full season, then kept it as a spare for two more seasons. Sold it to a buddy, who ran it off and on for seven seasons. After probably 300 nights and five freshenings, it finally blew to smithereens last season. Since that first one, I've used two more. Yeah, I'd recommend them.

16. Put a 318 in my 70 Swinger 2 1/2 years and 18,000 miles ago. Runs great.

17. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

Replaced a v6 in my truck in 02, put over 100000 miles on it with out a engine related problem,sold it last spring still runs great

18. iamspencer

iamspencer

The USPS uses them in the little white mail cariers.

19. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

When I had my shop I used Jasper quite a bit. They are far from perfect but I had less problems from them than any other supplier. I have a Jasper trans in one of my own trucks.

I would buy from them again.

20. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Could we please update as i feel the subject is still very relevant.

21. Moedog07

Moedog07

Have a 351W from them, no problems yet, 3 years.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 460 and C-6 they rebuilt in my 66 F250 and the motor is strong,I did not originally have them build it but bought a donor truck with it in it. I have not driven it much since a couple months after installation the truck came apart for paint and will finally be driven in a couple weeks,I did have some shifting issues with the trans but that is probably from sitting 3 years without fluid in my utility trailer waiting to be installed in the 66 that I originally planned to install a couple weeks after coming from the donor truck but life got in the way.

23. I have one in my off topic F-150.

No problems for over 7 years. HRP

24. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Man what a bunch of crap. However, the first mistake was replacing the engine in an Isuzu Tropper. That engine was a POS from he get go. Trooper shoulda been totaled.

25. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I used to sell them. I got tired of the many warranty problems.. Changed to ATK. Have used these since 1998. Three warranty claims since then. One was actually caused by the customer and another was a major failure, out of state. ATK covered ALL (parts, fluids, labor, rental and motel) warranty costs. I am in Michigan, the car was in Texas. :eek:

26. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I use local engine shops so if there's any problems, they're local. Had them do a '64 327 to stock specs. Absolutely no problems.

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've bought a 350 shortblock from them and it is still doin fine a few years later. I'm sure it's hit and miss like most large operations these days. One time you might get the 50 yr old experienced guy assembling your motor, the next it might the 18 year old meth head high school drop out...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. 1959apache

1959apache

They are only an hour or two south of where I currently live. I have a couple friends that work there, have interviewed there, offered a position there, and I said no. These guys sometimes have a quality product, other times they don't... the way they run things and how bad the company is doing at times makes me wonder how long they will stay in business. Their departments are not well organized, treat their employees like crap, their warranty department is a joke and therefore some of their employees go the extra mile to not do a great job or purpose. We used them when I worked at an auto repair shop and they were hit and miss then with a wide range of engines. The older stuff they can't really mess up too badly because it is so simple, so you maybe in luck there. Keep in mind they still had some old school guys working on this stuff back then so all of the engine building specs and all engineering stuff was done by actual professionals that knew what they were talking about, now they will hire any moron off the street with a degree (or not in almost all the cases down there) and dub them an engine builder. If I were you, I would just save your money and have someone reputable that is local do it, otherwise you are going to be at the warranty departments mercy...

Also, a lot of the talent is walking away from that company because they don't pay their employees well and other companies hire them for what they should be paid for (regardless if they are engineers or hourly machinists). I think an engineer fresh out of college was making less than 30k per year... not the best place to entice good workers or quality.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  29. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used and sold over 100. Very few problems. Problems were handled immediately and to everyone's satisfaction. Labor and parts taken care of promptly. They probably are the largest reman people out there. I would recommend. The sales rep probably has a lot to do with how you are handled.

30. itsmeb

itsmeb

I bought a V-6 from them and put in my 85 Astro, man am I happy. It never ran so strong.