Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Has Tractors

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by crashfarmer, May 14, 2018.

1. Earlier today my wife noticed a Wren inspecting the Farmall B on the trailer. Debbie said she is building a nest in the starter hole.The starter is missing. This evening I unloaded the B and pulled the cyl head. Not pretty 2 froze and busted sleeves. one piston has a sizable hole pitted on the top. The cly head likely will need valves and seats.The oil was clean no water. Not any sludge on the valve train. Probably a good engine until it rained down the exhaust? I bet the crank and block are still usable? There is some funky looking stuff in the settlement bulb. T B Block 001.JPG B Block 002.JPG B Block 003.JPG B Block 004.JPG B Block 005.JPG B Block 006.JPG B Block 007.JPG B Block 008.JPG B Block 009.JPG he inside of the gas tank is suprizingly pretty clean.And right now that little Wren is hopping about on the trailer. Silly bird is wondering where the potential nesting place went.

Okie Pete and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

B66AEDD8-1A0A-4E41-AB85-69BC47309869.png Well , this is the answer to why I tinkered with this Case !

3. Birdnose

Birdnose

My grandpa had a Farmall, but I think it was a slightly smaller one. I don't remember the model, unfortunately. It had electric start, but it was none too reliable, so he ended up crank starting it a lot.

That's a pretty clever-looking trailer. :)

Okie Pete likes this.
  4. The letter series Farmall where all 6 volt and didnt start all that great. Today most everyone converts them to 12 volt.

5. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

My Dad used to have a Farmall Cub. Six volt battery for the starter; when that died, it was hand crank the rest of the time we had it in use. The right front headlight was angled to the right slightly, so he could mow the hay after he got home from work (usually after dark.)

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't know if this really belongs here but I just bought this Massey Ferguson #7. It does have the mower deck. All original. I got the manuals. Factory shop manuals and parts manuals. Old ads. New decals. MF red and silver spray paint.

-6456577227962886246.jpg

MO_JUNK, egads, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  7. If the rear wheels bolt on its a tractor ( maybe a glorified lawn mower?). Spline mount rear wheels its for certian a lawn mower.

wvenfield likes this.
  8. Old-Ford-Iron

Old-Ford-Iron

Good looking rig. Looks pretty complete. Love the patina as well

Old wolf likes this.
  9. Yesterday I sold a 317 John Deere that was missing the transmission. So this morning I drug out a A Wheel Horse A-80-R out that has been in storage several years. Cleaned the carb and it fired right up. Broke the belt that drives the mower deck. I changed the oil and put some simple green on the greasy places. I might have a belt in the hoard? Eny Road Im going to put it up for sale. Use the money to buy attachments for a walk behind Gravely I have. The Gravely If I can find them can have a rotary plow. Tiller , Sickle bar mower, and I already have the bush hog rotary mower. That way I will only have one machine to keep running. and can sell my tillers and lawn mowers ect.

Okie Pete and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  10. noboD

noboD

A real Gravely with Studebaker parts or a later one with Kohler engine?

11. carbking

carbking

The perfect tractor for a carburetor guy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jon

12. gravely 002.JPG walknig tractors 001.JPG
    a genuine old model L stude engine with the mag and cooling fan. Seen it on Facebook Market Place for $85. Immediately jumped in my wrecker and drove over 100 miles one way to buy it, Hauled it home on the Wrecker sling.

Okie Pete and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  13. noboD

noboD

Cool beans. I have friends that own them. Lots of low end torque right there.

Old wolf likes this.
  14. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Well I done did it... bought a tractor today.
    IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0660.JPG IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0664.JPG

It's a 1949 Ford 8N with a propane conversion. It's a bit rough, but was running 3 years ago before being parked in the elements. Wire is rotted out so I have a new harness on order. The dip sticks come out clean and the engine turns over easy. I tried jumping it and got the starter to go once, but the battery terminal clamps are pretty bad (new cables also incoming). Gotta say, I'm impressed with the amount of new parts that are available for these, most very affordable. Even sheet metal and bigger parts are easily had.

Not like I needed another project, but I've been wanting one of these for awhile and once it's running and outfitted with enough implements, it'll be a super help working on the property around our shop. I'm on the look out for a middle buster tine, a grader, a scoop bucket, a mower deck, and hopefully a PTO wood chipper that works with the horsepower this thing makes.

Does anyone know of any diagrams or resources for troubleshooting the propane conversion? The most I've found online is just kits to be bought, but I want to go through it and make sure its good. I imagine the hoses and seals associated with it may need replacing. They have the gas cylinder mounted in front of the radiator, which I don't like so I might move it to one side or up top. The radiator also has a hole from the propane tank getting pushed into it. New radiators are pretty cheap, but a new core might be cheaper... I've thought about going back to the original gasoline system, but I like that the propane will run cleaner and this thing can share gas bottles with out forklift.

Back tires are thankfully good, but the front ones are shot. I'm gonna get them de-rimmed and blast/paint the rims before the new tires go on. I want to focus on functionality first, but little by little the paint and body work will happen and it'll get back to the grey and red livery.

I love seeing old tools keep getting used. I have no problem with new stuff when it's good, it just strikes me as ironic when the things that can fix and build other things end up in disrepair themselves. Hopefully this one'll get back on track quickly.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  15. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

It's a 1949 Ford 8N with a propane conversion.

I'm on the look out for a middle buster tine, a grader, a scoop bucket, a mower deck, and hopefully a PTO wood chipper that works with the horsepower this thing makes.

[/QUOTE]

Be careful when running attachments with the PTO. It is a "live PTO" and inertia keeps it spinning when you depress the clutch pedal. The more mass/weight it is spinning,the longer it will continue to "run". Which means,for example,if you are mowing in a straight line towards a ditch and depress the clutch pedal to stop or back up,you and the tractor will end up in the ditch.

IIRC,there are conversion kits available to convert them to the more modern design,but I can't remember anything about their cost or availability. I was given my first tractor over 20 years ago,a 1953 Golden Jubilee,sold it a couple of years later and bought a 540,which I still have and never use. I bought a new diesel TYM a couple of years ago with 39 HP,auto trans,4wd,power steering,and a cab with a am-fm radio. It also has a loader bucket up front.

Too old to be out in the sun getting bitten by the yellow flies and mosquitoes while cutting grass.

1953naegle and tractorguy like this.
  16. noboD

noboD

There's a magazine called the N Newsletter, been getting it for years. Has lots of info for a small magazine, classifieds too. I have a '48 my Dad bought in '50. I worked on a fork lift that was propane. Learned the hard way you can not open the throttle when starting. It had a solenoid that cut off the fuel when engine was not running. Leave the throttle closed and it started right up. Good luck with your new project.

1953naegle likes this.
  17. tractorguy

tractorguy

Welcome to the weird traditional hot rod/old tractor club. You may want to start your first cup of coffee each day with www.yesterdaystractor.com. Lots of good info, used parts, new parts and Ford 8n 9n 2n specific forums and discussions. Have fun

1953naegle likes this.
  18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I forgot about yesterdays tractors,it probably been 10 years since I was last on there and it was usually for garden tractors.

19. tractorguy

tractorguy

Sorry for a typo in my original post........should be www.yesterdaystractors.com

warhorseracing likes this.
  20. 1953naegle

1953naegle

After getting to know my tractor some more, it looks like someone already installed an aftermarket clutch on the PTO spline. It has an extension on it that's solid when twisted one way, but slips and makes a soft clicking when twisted the other way.

21. noboD

noboD

That is called an over running clutch. You need that for a mower as was described above. Not to nit pick but I think the opposite is called live PTO. A newer tractor, like an 800 has it. You push in the clutch part way and can change gears or stop the tractor but the PTO keeps spinning. When fully engaged both trans and PTO stop. I think this is called live PTO.

1953naegle likes this.
  22. I want to do something like this with my 8n
    1BBB5BAA-B4C6-420F-A982-83D6952CC0D8.jpeg

41 GMC K-18, ct1932ford and gggholson like this.
  23. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

You got lucky. All I can remember about them from when I looked them up years ago was they were hard to find,and expensive. Having one turns your tractor from a dangerous toy to a useful tool.

You might look into getting a boom for the back to pick up and load stuff like engines,but if you do make sure you find the weights that attach to the front bumper to keep from turning over.

Also,if you have a tricycle front end,start looking for a beam axle to replace it immediately! Those tricycle front ends are dangerous as hell,and have killed or crippled a lot of people.

1953naegle likes this.
  24. Normant93

Normant93

Of course you do!
    You transform all your stuff into something unique and really cool.

25. Since our tractor show was cancelled this year here is a video from last year’s show

dana barlow likes this.
  26. wulf powis

wulf powis

Ford 9n 1936 still going strong and working hard.
    bill and tractor.jpg

1953naegle likes this.
  27. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Here's a video I did a couple months back after getting mine running. Since then it's been all buttoned up and had the front rims finished. Also switched to a horizontal propane tank cradle. I've got all the dirt work implements I wanted and it's been working great (despite being a little crusty and rattley). I've got an old mower deck for it too that's getting overhawled. Need to make another video....

28. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

I don't have a pic on my phone. I have a 59 ford 861 power master. My grandpa bought it brand new. It's done alot of work.lol

29. Tractors & T's

Tractors & T's
    from Baxter MN

Here is an Allis Chalmers/Tractomotive TLW tractor. Tractomotive would take an Allis tractor and convert it into a reverse loader that would be sold at dealerships. The first 2 models were the TLB and TLW based on the B and WF tractors. After a few years Allis bought Tractomotive and left their name on them. They made 202 of this model and 69 of the TLB. There are only a few left in existence.

102_0146.JPG

41 GMC K-18, RMR&C, mamllc and 4 others like this.
  30. Tractors & T's

Tractors & T's
    from Baxter MN

My buildings are kind of full of the Persian Orange. Try to get them out once a year when the tractor club comes out.

[​IMG]

gggholson, Oilguy and 1953naegle like this.