Register now to get rid of these ads!

who has started their HA/GR build on the left coast

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by leeberz, May 7, 2008.

1. leeberz

leeberz
    from fresno ca

cant wait to see everyones build i know puttin ours together was a blast hopefully we started a fire out here and can keep it goin

2. ThingyM

ThingyM

Well I pulled mine down out of the rafters, And getting going again. Just picked up a completely rebuilt 194 Chev 6. Its been sitting about 6 yrs. going to tear it down and check it out. Comes complete with an air cooled Powerglide..(I know, I never heard of one either)..The chassis is already a complete roller. Just install engine and body panels..Maybe add another hoop on the roll cage..You guys got my adrenalin going again..

3. is a 194 legal? I have a air cooled powerglide in the shop has a rear pump so you can push start .

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

We plan on being there next year.

5. ThingyM

ThingyM

Well jeff here is the way I look at it..If some of these guys can build a full blown 302 Jimmies, 296 cu in flatheads etc. Why would you worry about a 194 cu in.Chev.And the price is right, FREE.. So 194 it is.. The idea is to be there. At least that is what I was told..BTW. It will be a stick shift..

6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thingy' is right from what I've seen. Just build it in the spirit and bring it, when the class takes off then we can start getting in line with the rules. I don't mean thro' in a SB and a glide:eek: but get yourself an early carbureted and points ignition 6 cyl engine like they built in the early 60's and go for it. All the HA/GR guys I met at DragFest were GREAT and just want to have FUN. If anyone is interested in building one of these cars I wouldn't hesitate to contact Old6rodder, ThingyM, 64 Dodge 440, or myself. The members I mentioned are SUPER and very helpful, Thanks guys, Rocky

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

While a 194 technically isn't "legal" per se, no one's going to cry about it. The whole pre-'62 thing is a rule of thumb that represents the concept. A gearbox is a gearbox and a rear end is a rear end so more available newer units are in use by most of us. If they were significantly different it'd be another thing but they aren't. As an in-line six of basically classic design Thingy's 194's well within the spirit of the class. Also, as a lower cube engine any combustion chamber advantage'll balance out against the cubes of others. Hell, it's still a proper looking upright six.
    Technically, Barn Job's carbs are too new as well. They're no different than the older model SU's except for the addition of circuits for smog laws. The older ones are actually a wee bit better for racing but these are close. The point is that they're the same design and functionality as their parents and thus well within the spirit of the class.

Remember, it's about building to the concept and spirit of the period but with more available equipment. If we'd had used slants lying around in '53 they'd have been built the same as a 216 babbit motor; several home modified carbs (usually singles) and open pipes. Play with the ports and valves, and a cam if you could afford it.

The whole stick thing is part of it too. The spirit of it is about racing the person as well as the car. That's also why we'd like some form of straight up starts rather than what it's come to now.

Sometimes it surprises me when one or two don't quite get the "spirit of the thing" concept. I guess it shouldn't, but it does. I guess I just don't have a "sue the bastard, because we can" & "any loophole to get ahead" way of thinking.

Good grief, I sure do rattle on about it, don't I? :eek:
    Surely it isn't fanaticism, is it? :eek:

Anyway, that's about the gist of it ......... :rolleyes:

8. ThingyM

ThingyM

You asked about Efrens car.. The motor is heading to Egges machine for the needed rebuild..Then on to the instalation..It will probably be running by the end of summer..

9. ThingyM

ThingyM

By the way,,, We checked the engine coding on my 194.. Nov.17,1962. Is it legal or not..I'm going to run it anyway..At least till something better comes along...

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

That's legal as it can be. Claim it's a '63 so you can tweak the rivet counters ............ :D

11. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Depends how fast it is!:D

12. ThingyM

ThingyM

Well TM.. I'm thinking about throwing in a 1/2" stroker crank. Bore it 1/8" 735 lift cam on a 108 lobe centers. Fully reworked head..Is it still legal. hehehehe... All kidding aside.. It is a 62 block..Do I really have to race that Lil' Old lady in the wheelchair??

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

THAT'S NOT A WHEELCHAIR ! It's a jan-u-wine racer automobile, and I ain't no lil' ole lady ! :p You take that back ...........

14. ThingyM

ThingyM

Butch told me that there is this guy who is a friend of his, that is really interested in building a HAMB car..And Butch is also trying to figure out how to let us run at the ANRA meets.....

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I still have my fingers cossed for Butch. It'd be great to be able to run the ANRA meets, they're a lot of fun.

Our creation is ALIVE, it's ALIVE I tell you.

16. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I hope Butch figures it out, racing with you guys will be a blast. Maybe exhibition racing for Trophys only?

17. ThingyM

ThingyM

That would be fine with me...I would race for nothing if they want..

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

What he said. :D

19. ThingyM

ThingyM

Hey!! I had a thought in my pea size brain. Why don't us California guys put our HAMBsters on display at the CHRR this year at Bakersfield..See if we can drum up some intrest. I'm sure all the cars will be finished. Want me to find out?????

20. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

You Bet, I'd be there! I need another deadline:D

21. ThingyM

ThingyM

OK Here goes,, Who knows anything about 10 bolt Chev. rearends..I have one that is out of a S10 pickup. It's 4.10 gear ratio..Now here is my question..Now is it a 7.5 or 8.2 or Metric. the casting number is 1-40303052.. I want to buy an aluminum cover for it, the one with the rear cap bolts in it (Summit catalog) Thanks .Dick M. Any help would be a help....

22. Rand Man

Rand Man

I bet an S-10 forum could tell you. There are a lot of helpfull folks out there on the web.

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Either that or call your local chevy parts man.:D

24. ThingyM

ThingyM

OH I know,, But just thought someone on here knew..

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

We could make the CHRR as well. Perhaps line up along the fence again? Maybe in the show area behind the stands? Not sure where else we'd be seen.

Sorry, in Chevy I only know torque tube rear ends.

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Someone probably does.:D

27. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Maybe in the lanes:D My fingers are crossed Thingy'

28. ThingyM

ThingyM

Ok, You Calif. guys be ready..Mr. Headrick is working very hard on getting some races set up, with ANRA, and will be run at Bakersfield. We might be calling on you guys for some help. Would like to get it going where we could invite the out of staters to the races also. Wouldn't that be cool?? Keep your fingers crossed....

29. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

GREAT NEWS Dick! I'm workin on a couple of Strombergs for the our HA/GR. I have entered it in a local car show here in Fresno, June 14th, so thats a deadline I needed to get 'er spruced up then I'll be at the June ANRA race with it. Tom leave your Tape measure home:D

30. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group