Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Who has pictures of themselves as kids with old cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 7, 2019.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Saw a fin of a '59 Chevy a few pix back and reminded me I had another pic or two to share. The first one is of my Dad and I working on my ol' High School Studebaker...(I was 16 at the time and this was months before I got my first '57 Chevy)...Dad in his coveralls and me bending over getting something out of the trunk...

Vintage pix 007.jpg

Aaaaannnnddd here's a pic of my '57 150 two door sitting in our front yard after someone rear ended it while it sat on the street one night (this about 1962 or 1963)...I'd driven it a lot and was out of HS at this time...We (my Dad mostly) decided to give my '57 to my brother - (Dad was a mechanic and body man-could fix the '57).
    Vintage pix 004.jpg

and since I needed a car to go to art school in Omaha, NE, he'd give me the '59 Chevy he'd just rebuilt (new front fender, hood, bumper, etc) from a wreck...he'd bought the car for $200. The '59 had a 348" in it...and boy did I have fun with that car...!!!

Vintage pix 005.jpg

I'm on the left, nephew is in the middle and brother Dan in front of my '59...You can read about the Studey, the '57 and the '59 in my first two books: "Bangin' Gears & Bustin' Heads" and "Fast Cars, 4-speeds and Fist-fights"...available on Amazon...

R-

Hamtown Al, BigO, Okie Pete and 11 others like this.
  2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Picture of me and my sister when I first got my '57. I was 13 years old at the time. Still own the car. 993.jpeg

3. Me 1949! I still drive a Roadster and carry a Gun!:cool:
    64chev_0001.jpg

4. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Me at about 2 or 3 in my dad's AA/FA, Different Drummer. Under construction at the time, but I always liked hanging out. Blake in Different Drummer.jpg

gas & guns, BigO, blowby and 10 others like this.
  5. Me and my 1930 DeSoto straight eight sedan.... Picture 1000.jpg

6. Picture 26851.jpg Me driving my Mom and Shamu in a parade in San Diego in the 1970s. The car is a 1930 Plymouth-U roadster.

7. Me on the left back in 1980 or so with my buddy Monty Ostberg and his 1947 Chrysler New Yorker club coupe.... Picture 26822.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    patrick.c, BigO, Okie Pete and 8 others like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Researching through our own family albums has brought on some ancient memories and surprises. Any old photo from the Brownie or pre-Brownie camera days are amazing. Just think of the time spent sitting in photo albums for that long of time. When our mom passed away and we sold our long time, Westside of Long Beach house (1953-1998), of course, we found a ton of photo albums. We were sad and impressed at the same time.

Most people had a wide array of early twin lens cameras that the press photographers used for their stories. There were news guys that used the huge Graflex pop flash 4x5 units for clarity. Some used the old rangefinder cameras that were the early version of the point and shoot category. At any rate, those old photos are historical for anyone, especially to the remaining families.

They all must be preserved for history. So, start scanning them and save them to various external hard drives and computers. Those are things you cannot recreate, so grab the small hard drives and escape in an emergency...all else is replaceable.

My dad was a little crazy with his choice. A friend of his was a press photographer in Los Angeles. One day, he showed us his new, hard shell, brown suitcase that housed all of the parts for this huge Graflex 4x5 bellows camera. Inside were, the big camera, the chromed, tall pop flash pole unit, the multiple raw film cases, a light meter, a large cloth to cover his head and camera when taking outdoor photos to block out the light. We are talking very old school, here.

Every time my wife sees an old photo from one of our family photo albums, she is amazed at the idea that someone lugged this apparatus around to take family photos at the parks, beaches, harbors, vacations, and around the house/yard. Most of her own family’s old photos came from a cool Brownie camera. But, they are digitally preserved.

Jnaki

There is a thread called Family Photo Album here on the HAMB. There are plenty of old cars and people. So, here is one photo that has not been posted on that thread. The photo shows my dad’s 1941 Buick Fastback and a couple of rambunctious, tough, sporty type kids posing for a photo that we thought took all day to set up and shoot. (check out the great “scowl” that lasted into the teenage years…)
    upload_2019-3-12_4-27-35.png 1941 Buick in front of our first "real house" on the far reaches of the Westside of Long Beach. (1948-53)

That photo was taken in early 1949. Within a few weeks later, my dad drove home with a new black 1949, 4 door, Buick Roadmaster. (still too big to fit in the rear yard garage openings)

In early 1948, we moved to the Westside of Long Beach, to a Craftsman house, now demolished and replaced with a new elementary school in modern times. The house and big back yard were backed up to the Terminal Island Freeway at 2335 Webster Ave. (about a half mile from the Willow St. end of Lions Dragstrip, later in 1955.)

gas & guns, Pat, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  9. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

10. Me in '62 working on the family Town and Country station wagon, 1957. The car was red and white and had the seek/scan radio and automatic trans. I grew up in SE Virginia and this car took us to Greenville SC twice a year to visit family and to Daytona Beach once before the folks bought their first new car in 1966.

Attached Files:

11. My oldest son and daughter in the bed of their uncle's '57 Chevy.

Attached Files:

12. mutant55

mutant55

Here's one of me with my Mom right after I was born in my Dad's 39 Chevy coupe?? This might have been on the way home from the hospital, we both have our bracelets still on. He called it "The Red Witch" this was taken in 1960..

Baby pic of me 002.JPEG

13. HEMI32 - 1963.jpg
    Me "driving" the Coupe (1962)

Andy's 3rd Annual Picnic - July '69 -  Kodachrome 5.jpg
    Two Knuckleheads (my younger brother & I) checking out a Nailhead at Andy's Picnic (1969)

Andy's 3rd Annual Picnic - July '69 -  Kodachrome 14.jpg
    Later in the day, (sans our plaid button-down collar shirts) we were
    eye-balling the 327ci 'Vette engine in Dennis DeBenedictis '23 T

HEMI32's first trip to B'ville (1970).jpg
    My first trip to Bonneville (1970) ... with my mother and younger siblings

HEMI32 & Siblings (circa 1971).jpg
    My siblings & I posing with the Coupe (1971)

HEMI32 & Siblings (circa 1975).jpg
    My siblings & I posing with the Coupe (1975)​

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    BigO, Pat, Okie Pete and 15 others like this.
  14. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Top photo is my brother and I in 1965 on Dad's 60 Impala.
    Bottom Photo is us in 2018.
    I'm on the right. Tim & Kip.jpg

gas & guns, BigO, mario711 and 13 others like this.
  15. muddywater

muddywater
    from East tn

16. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Dad's first car, 1950 Olds I think, on Skyline Drive overlooking Reading Pa. Me with the play rifle and my sister right behind!! Check out the rear whitewalls!! image00001085.jpeg

17. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Ron, You are correct. the car is in pretty decent shape still. My cousin has it in southeastern Kansas. hope someday they do something with it too.

Attached Files:

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Very ironic that I saw this the other day while at work on break browsing my phone and that red pontiac just stuck out to me but I didnt have time to comment so I just now looked it up on my home PC again and what do you know a few pages later someone else commented....(great thread!) but that red pontiac is a standout beauty that needs to be brought back, Do you not have a interest in acquiring it and doing something with it or just not in the cards?
    Hey I couldnt either but maybe if it had that kind of family history I could figure out a way, sure is a beaut,
    That may be the first solid red one Ive saw??? Dunno but I like it! Looks just right with those wide whites, dual exhaust, etc.
    upload_2019-3-12_19-59-49.jpeg

patrick.c, Pat, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  19. mkebaird

mkebaird

My first car (Bugeye) and second ('56Merc) in 1965
    Bugeye.jpg 56Merc.jpg

Pat, Okie Pete, spurgeonforge and 5 others like this.
  20. Circa 1961, me in front of my Aunt's '53 Victoria, next to my Mom's '51 Sedan and Uncle's '55 Studebaker. Later that year, me in front of a Cord that was parked in front of an abandoned motel somewhere in Central Virginia on Rt. 29. Disregard the silly hat!:( 03132019.jpg

charleyw, Pat, HEMI32 and 6 others like this.
  21. Age 10, building models. The "gateway drug" leading to the addiction of the real thing.:D;) 07032014.jpg 20181006_094415.jpg

patrick.c, BigO, chevy57dude and 14 others like this.
  22. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

image00000305.jpeg image00000353.jpeg image00000289.jpeg My first ride, 6 banger/cast iron glide, silver with a white roof/red interior, paid $ 160.00 and drove her home, this pic is after a driveway blue paint job and a 327/300 horse and 3 speed. Miss the prices from back then. Paid $275.00 to buy a 327/300, bell housing, clutch/flywheel and clutch pedal and rods, 3 speed/shifter and have it installed at Forriers Garage in Reading, Pa. Drove it home with open exhaust, best day ever!!! I was 19!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  23. Chief 64

Chief 64

88D0B331-ADD6-44DF-B7D9-5E968034F7AE.jpeg I know this thread is supposed to be of yourself but My Dad was a car guy so I hope this is Okay. This picture is of my uncle and my Dad. Since my uncle was born in 1925 and my Dad was born in 1930, I am guessing the picture was taken in 1941 or so because my uncle would be 16 and my Dad 11 years old. This is my uncles 1st car, a 34 Ford. This picture was taken in Detroit at my Grandparents house which was a mile from the old Alexander Bros custom shop. Every time I see this picture I wonder what happened to the coupe and did it by chance get chopped at Alexander bros. Maybe it is even a hambers car......

24. alsancle

alsancle

25. 41 C28

41 C28

A couple of me, one mom and me.jpg little donnie ply.jpg with Mom and one in front of my Uncle's Plymouth (I think).

26. 5brown1

5brown1

Me on my Mom's 48 Nash coupe. I eventually got the car and she always said she knew where I was -
    under the hood of a car.

Attached Files:

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

Loving this Thread, got to find pic of my first car , me sitting a metal pedal fire truck, 1951 or so. This Pic and others I have posted were taken by my Mom with a Browney ? box camera, I remember looking in the little viewfinder and image being upside down. As a kid I never thought much about pictures, fortunate my Mom did and recorded some history of our family, I realized around the time this Pic was taken that I should start with pic's so when I'm Old ( I Am ) I will have a recorded history. To this day I miss my Mother, she was the Best. I hope years down the road my children will remember me and hopefully say, Dad was an OK guy.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Pat, Okie Pete, spurgeonforge and 3 others like this.
  28. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

[QUOTE=". Disregard the silly hat!:([/QUOTE]

Ya right.....as if you didn't wear that hat all the time!! Probably still have it and wear it secretively. Even your wife doesn't know about it!.. When no one is looking you run out the garage and pull it out of its secret hiding place, put it on and sit in and old car making engine revving noises. I just know it!! LOL ;):D:oops::rolleyes:

(Forgive me....I don't now what just got into me. haha)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Awesome pictures! The fact that some of you all still have the cars in the family is great!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigO, wicarnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Meteor Man

Meteor Man

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.