Register now to get rid of these ads!

who has made their own glasspacks, best packing material?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Wow-that is quite a project-your machine work is real nice.When you've come this far I understand why you want to finish the job. The s/s scrubbers just might be the ticket.
    Good Luck! let us know how it turns out.

2. my shop is across the street from the chrysler dealer. about 30 years ago the thrush straight throughs rusted off my boom truck so i was hauling their scrap and i took 2 old used resonators from caravans that had rusted out ahead and put them on the truck and i just junked it last week and i took off the resonators and am gonna use them on one of my cars
    like Bill Smith says Stainless Is Forever:D

when i built a lot of glass packs i used a real agressive louvere in the core for silencing and the the packing is not so dependent on silencing

i have been runing a car with sidepipes and tailpipes and it has 4 glasspacks on it and i am going to mostly duplicate that on my next 2 cars if i have enough clearance, love the throb out of the sidepipes in the mountains:D

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I don't want it that quiet, but I'm getting too old to be going deaf driving, I already have a 90 Lincoln that's too quiet, It might get a porter eventually, a 302 should sound like a v-8 not a vacuum cleaner, as far as my project, even with this, it will be plenty loud, I hope by this summer it will be on the road

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Vance and Hines makes a nice kit with a louvered baffle tube, end cap and packing for around 25 bucks.

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I found out that the lava rock trick actually works, it turns out that the mazda rotary guys have been using them on the track, and they have held up, I don't know much about Mazda, but I know the exhaust temps those rotaries produce are unreal, the race cars melt the packing out of standard mufflers, sometimes the muffler itself, They were taking stainless mufflers,cutting them open, ripping out the fiberglass, and filling them with lava rock chips. I think if they were packed right they wouldn't rattle,or some stainless steel wool on each end , if they last behind one of those engines on the track for years, they sure will last on the street