Register now to get rid of these ads!

who has a y-block in their car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Jul 11, 2010.

1. teddyp

teddyp

lets see how many hamber,s run y-blocks in their rides since i blew up my old y-block and i,m doing a new one i need to see more to keep the y-block spirt up:cool:

Attached Files:

2. A Rodder

A Rodder

Got one in the edsel. Runs like a champ. They're my favorite mill.

3. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

Have one in my '55, And building another

4. Got one in an F600, got a builder sittin' in the corner, got some bits to sell too.

5. Mattilac

Mattilac

Got the stock one in my truck. It takes a lot of abuse and I can't seem to destroy it.

6. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Got one in my truck and another on a stand in the garage

7. You blew up a Yblock? I didn't think that was possible.I tried to blow one up but it floated the valves at 4500rpm and wouldn't break.I miss that old car.Got a Yblock in my garage waiting to go in my 34 truck later on.

8. teddyp

teddyp

yes i still can,t belive it the car was running great doing about 70 -75 and then bang a big cloud of smoke and the water temp went all the way over i pulled over and i think a rod cap broke because it started but had a rod knock i drove it another 56 miles till it finally stopped ! there was no warning before. I took the heads ,vally pan, and intake off as you can see in picture the only thing is the stuff marks in #5 cyc . this was the best running car i ever had that,s why i,m putting a y-block back in it thier not the fastest so say not the best motor ford made but i think that the are the best looking and the best sounding motor ford made i had sbc,s old.s and caddy motor,s run more miles last longer but none that i like as much has a y-block they have a sound all thiers

Attached Files:

9. Mattilac

Mattilac

Shit, for what its worth, one time I revved my worn out stock 292 to 8000rpm accidentally. Was doing a burnout and snapped the cross pin in the rear end. It revved to the moon and back and didn't complain.

10. I was just flogging the piss out of the 239 in my '54 yesterday! The clutch is getting a little chattery but she's still strong!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  11. Yeah, I got a few. :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I was waitin for you to show up and rub salt in our wounds with your wonderful toys...LOL !

13. I have a 312 in my '57 Ranchero and I love it. This is my first experience with a Y-block and I'm hooked. The engine has a balanced mild build; big valve heads, Isky E-4 cam, 4 barrel intake, etc.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will be building a 292 for my 55 sunliner and have a 272 for a traditional hotrod build in the future.

15. teddyp

teddyp

keep them coming there alot more

16. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

This is awesome.......... One question what is up with the belts with cogs on the outside never seen those before?

[​IMG]

17. Deuces

Deuces

One thing I can't understand is why some of you guys like to blow these motors up??? Why not just yank those out and rebuild them???

18. teddyp

teddyp

i don,t think anyone likes to blow a motor up but shit happens

19. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry Tedd.... Guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning........ GOT COFFEE?? :( :)

20. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

[​IMG]Got a 272 in my '32 plus another one being rebuilt as time & money permits:cool::cool:

21. Ole don

Ole don

I have been running a Y block in 55 sedan since I bought the car as a stocker in 1996. It now has its second 312, the first is for sale as a short block, the new version is a wilder one for the one mile at Bonneville. The mild one went 118 one year, 120 with a bigger carb. The new one has the same valve sizes but bigger ports, a wilder cam, and the same 650 carb. The car is driven 1650 miles, raced, and driven home. This is more fun than a geezer should be allowed.

22. OOoooOOo..... this makes me smile. :D

Attached Files:

23. yblock292

yblock292

30 coupe, 56 292, bored .030, fyll race isky cam, 4 94's backed up with a top loader 4 speed, straight pipes, fun as hell!

24. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I just acquired a 62 F100 with a 292 YBlock. There is a problem with the trans but my question is what are the main positive points about the Y Block? What are they known for? This one has the stock exhaust where the left manifold dumps out the front and the pipe wraps around the front to the passenger side of the engine. Gaskets are leaking,ect so the engine does not sound that great. What exhaust is best for this truck? You can always tell when a SBF is coming down the road when the owner has put on some decent mufflers-is the YBlock the same? I am not a Ford guy-never had much luck with them but hey.i am willing to learn. :)

25. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Ive got a complete 312 and a bare 292 block. I'll be using the 292 block with the 312 crank to put into my Model A one of these days.

26. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

.090 over 292,.020 on rods and mains!! ford factory reman engine. cant seem to kill it.

27. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

368 big brother y block in my 26 dodge!! yes and it runs great !

28. teddyp

teddyp

:cool::cool:
    put a set of duel exhaust manifolds a set of brockman steel or glass packson it,s one of the coolest motor,s you ever heard they are a good motor i ran the one in my 58 ford 162,000 miles was never apart after a while your know .YEA FORD MADE MOTOR,S AFTER THE Y-BLOCK BUT WHO REALLY CARES

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  29. Braggaboutcars

Braggaboutcars
    from Woburn, Ma

I have a complete used trans for your truck