Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who has a Y-Block in a '35-'36 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by terry k, Aug 27, 2016.

1. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I have heard it will not fit without cutting the firewall and others say it will fit. Any short water pumps ,exhaust, mounts, etc. ??? Need some help before I start. (5speed)

2. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

3. I don't know if you are on Instagram, but @Toohothardy has a 36 3window powered by a Y block.....I think his name is Tom Hardy, might be on here....

4. glrbird

glrbird

www.Y-blocksforever.com has a build thread by Rono, who put a y-block in a 37. All water pumps are the same, the 57 exhaust manifolds exit at the rear but might get in the way of the steering box. a pair of shortie small block chevy headers can be modified to work on a y-block. www.ford-y-block.com has lots of parts

5. japchris

japchris
    from England

6. This 5-window has one in it. Looks like the firewall is cut. They fairly large and long I don't see one going in without cutting on the firewall.

blue 5.jpg 1936_ford_coupe y block.jpg

LOWDUG37, Blue One and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Can I hear from someone that has actually done this swap ???? ANYONE ???

8. silent rick

silent rick

the guy with the blue 36 above is jim evans. he lives here in hammond. he purchased the car with the 312 already installed. it ended up being a rare nascar engine/4 speed with history. he traded that engine/trans for another 312 plus enough cash to finance the rest of the build on the car. it's a beautiful car.
    jim started with a t5 mated to the Yblock via a cornhuskers adapter but has since changed to a 200r i believe. i'll see if i can get some shots of the firewall mods for you.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. silent rick

silent rick

i think i remember him saying he moved the radiator a tad forward too.

10. I put one in my coupster and after moving the front x-member 3", and I still had to modify the firewall. I measured the '35, firewall (not at the indent for the fuel pump, but at the further forward where the Y dizzy would be) to rear of radiator 26 1/2" . The 292 in the A is 29"+ from the rear of the dizzy to the fan blade. Sounds tight in an unmodified '35 firewall.

11. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Thanks Rick !! Not an easy move...... Maybe just replace the flathead or a Chevy. That would be original.. Thanks Guys.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

After researching this for my 36, I finally decided on a Cadillac. It looks like it was made for it.

13. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

That's a different thought. A small block Ford is a probable a tight fit also. Do they make short water pumps for SBF ??

14. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Take a look at this thread. I know it's a 37 ford pickup but is shares the same chassis as a 35-36 ford. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-project-37-ford-pickup.271673/

John Mummert was developing a short timing cover for the y-block but, I'm not sure if they are available yet. It would be best to contact him. He is also on the HAMB. http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic107174.aspx#bm108192

Snow White makes a short water pump for the SBF that will take 2" off the length of the engine. http://www.snowwhiteltd.com/products.html

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  15. jamesf

jamesf
    from hammond in

That is the engine from my car but the image is not my car. When I bought it the firewall had been crudely cut about three inches using sheet metal and screws. I see no way to install a y block in these cars without firewall and floor modifications.

Retroline likes this.
  16. dwollam

dwollam

If the firewall is already hacked, why not re-do it and clean it up with a nice recess?

Dave

LOU WELLS likes this.
  17. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

18. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

19. dwollam

dwollam

I'm sorry, I misread the statement above thinking it was the OP. I will presume his firewall hasn't been cut.
    Dave

20. Maverick1

Maverick1
    from California

Terry,

I am currently building a 36 Ford 5 window. I have a 292 with a c4 that is sitting in a stock 36 frame waiting for me to install the motor mounts. The y block fits easily in between the frame rails . There is absolutely no doubt that the firewall is going to have to be cut but I have not gotton that far yet. I'm guessing the block is encroaching 2 to 3 inches into the firewall. I have to replace the floor and am waiting to get the firewall thing figured out before I do so.I plan to use a flathead donut type of motor mount. I purchased the lower mounts form Bollin Bro's, I think it's going to work, still kind of playing around with it.
    I split the x member to allow the c4 to fit which was easy enough. I'm running a 8 inch Ford with parallel leafs. Tci mustang II ( I know, my two other cars have strait axles ) The 292 has a rear sump and clears the Tci crossmember fine.
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks a y block in a 36 is a good idea, regardless of how I unpracticle it is proven to be.

Scott

LOU WELLS likes this.
  21. Maverick1

Maverick1
    from California

I wish I were further along, hope this helps. It's a 292 in a stock 36 frame.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Retroline

Retroline

I was going to say, I didn't think Dan pulled the 8BA from his '36, yes two different cars. I couldn't see a Y block going in without some cutting.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That y in the 5 window also looks like it has a t-bird water pump housing. My dual quad y has a much shorter bypass hose and has the normal car housing.

24. Maverick1

Maverick1
    from California

Progress. Firewall in, engine in.

Attached Files:

25. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I just finish installing my new floors. Going to split the bones and see where this engine sits with a 5 spd. I have a Hurst engine mount that fits the frt. crossmember mounts 20". Probably will not have enough room up frt. either.