Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. hotdamn

hotdamn

no shit???

here I was thinking my clutch was screwy?

works like a champ!

I have had 4spds in the past that you had put it in 1st before reverse or they were gonna make em out of rubber next year.:D

2. old henry

old henry

I have a 292" with 3 Dellorto 40MM two barrel side drafts,6 individual exhaust with
    mini super traps,and 700r trany.This is in my `26 track roadsterwhich also has a
    Halibrand champ quicky

3. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

GOD! my first post on this was a year ago! didn't make billit-proof. had some set-backs,been a rough year!:eek: still, had some luck and i'm pre-registered for this year. even if i gotta stretcher it up there. basic ignition done. got rear brakes. working on the e-brake. dying to take it for the "maiden cruise" gettin' close!

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I was daydreaming about sixes a bit at lunch time and came up with a couple of engine options for my '61 Falcon:

200-6: “Mustang” Six
    - Black block and head
    - Gold “FORD” embossed valve cover
    - Gold air cleaner (open element?)
    - Holley-Weber progressive 2bbl carburetor
    - Classic Inlines aluminum head
    - Argentine exhaust manifold
    - Classic Inlines street cam

170-6: “Hot Rod” Six
    - Red block and head
    - Sand cast finned valve cover
    - Chrome “helmet” air cleaners
    - Triple Holley 1904s on Offenhauser manifold
    - Ported 1980s 200/250 head
    - White ceramic-coated header
    - Isky 3/4 race cam

Not having the money to do either gives me the luxury of being able to build them both in my mind. The first is inspired by a photo of a 375hp 390 V8 I saw recently, and the second by a c. 1960 Hot Rod article on hopping up the Falcon Six.

-Dave

5. 6narow

6narow

BigCheese327,

I could be mistaken, but I think all of the 144/170 engines used a 5 main block.
    Even the early 200 used a 5 main block.
    By the time the block was recast to 7 mains, it was a 200/250 game.
    So if you're going to hot rod any small Ford 6, the 200/ 250 engines are the best to do it with (plus they're the largest displacements of that whole family, and we all know what there is no replacement for).

BTW, I understand that the 250's intake manifold has a little more internal volume than the 200, so if you're going to "hop up" an engine, using the stock head, try to make it a 250 head.

...and Offy makes/made an intake manifold for the 170?
    I thought all those small Ford 6's had the intakes cast as part of the cylinder head?!
    ...or is this another cut & paste job, like the Clifford 3-pot "manifold"? :rolleyes:

6narow

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You're right that the 200/250 is the preferred hot rod engine because of the bulletproof bottom ends and extra cubes, but the 5-main engines are virtually being given away, so that was kind of my budget concept. I wouldn't touch the bottom end and when/if it failed (and it might not, considering how I use the car), then a 7-main shortblock could be swapped under the goodies I described.

Incidentally, there are rumors of a late 170 with 7-mains, but I've never seen one myself and am not convinced.

There also, according to The Falcon Six Performance Handbook is not supposed to be any discernable difference between a late-200 head and a 250 head.

-Dave

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Oh, and the Offy "manifold" is more like an adaptor that bolts to the log. The owner has to mill the log flat and bore holes for the extra carbs, but it does include a progressive linkage.

-Dave

8. 6narow

6narow

Dave,

Thanks for the info.
    The Offy does sound similar to the Clifford.
    I understand that an old "hot rod" trick for a 200 is to mount the carb off a 300.
    It is said to flow more air, but the bolt pattern is close enough to the 200's that only a mild mod is needed.
    Never did it myself. Does your book reflect a similar practice?
    Speaking of that book, does it mention a factory dual 1-bbl. head for the 200 (maybe 170?)?
    Someone who owned an early Falcon told me of such a engine, many years ago, but I've yet to find any proof of its existence.

6narow

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

6narow,

I wasn’t aware of Clifford making a carburetor adaptor, as I haven’t checked out their offerings. But Bill Stroppe and Edelbrock both used to make similar pieces, so it wouldn’t surprise me.

I have heard of mounting a 300 carb on a 200, and the Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook only mentions it as a possibility and doesn’t go into detail, preferring to concentrate on the 2bbl option. Further, in 1960, Hot Rod mentioned running a Holley 1904 carburetor from the “big” 223 6-cylinder on a 144, which would be similar. The downside, as I recall, is that the large venturi means a drop in velocity and therefore requires more careful tuning. Triple carburetors is said to be about the ideal setup, actually, as it gets equal fuel distribution versus a single large carburetor in the middle of the log.

The hot ticket on fordsix.com is a progressive Holley-Weber 2bbl, which would be the convenience of a larger 1bbl, without the drop in velocity. It doesn’t give as even a distribution as triples, but I haven’t heard many complaints, either.

The book doesn’t mention any factory multi-carburetor setups for the Falcon engine, though again, in 1960 Hot Rod mentioned that FoMoCo wanted to use the Bill Stroppe triple intake to provide a factory power pack for the Falcon. Then a couple months later they printed a retraction, saying that Ford had changed its mind (maybe having already decided to put Fairlane V8s in the ‘63 Falcon at that point, I don’t know).

By the way, if you’re working with a Falcon Six, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook. It’s practically required reading on fordsix.com, and at least one of the authors is a regular poster there, who is happy to elaborate on what he’s written.

-Dave

10. oneshotkustoms

oneshotkustoms
    from joliet il

216 , .30 over, headers runs like a top

Attached Files:

11. Doc, what a steaming P.O.S.

12. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Now that's what I'm talking about. Got any pix? Love to see it. db

13. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

I wouldn't even waste my time with the old log-head. Classic Inlines sells an updated, alloy head based on the Aussie 2V head. This uses a removable intake just like the 240/300.

14. There's a '51 Hudson six on eBay (not mine)....hmmmmmmm

15. wolfex1

wolfex1

www.cliffordperformance.com

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well, that’s easy to say, but cost is a definite factor.

Plus, if you want to run three carbs, you’ll end up having to fabricate your own intake.

-Dave

17. Mrpunk

Mrpunk
    from San Diego

Here's mine in a 1960 F100

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      File size:
      35.6 KB
      Views:
  18. jughead2

jughead2
    from tenn.

does an in-line cummins 6 cylinder count. dodge 1/2 p.u. 8.6s in the 1/8th.

19. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

Just thought I'd share...I saw this on Ebay a few weeks ago .The seller thought it was a 235 .It came in a 1953 chevy that he bought and he was told it had 3,000 miles on a rebuild.He was asking 600 buy it now or best offer.
    I offered $450 ,he counteroffered $475 .Done deal .I was planning on driving down to Jefferson swap meet anyway so driving another 80 miles wasn't a big deal to pick it up.After bringing my engine hoist along and getting to his house ,nobody was home.....The guys mom shows up and helped me and my wife load the thing .Ya it was a Pita, but I was right it's a 261 complete with new clutch and trans .

This is the second 261 that I have ,I found another one a few years ago ( still have).A Guy was selling a large 1960 chev grain truck on ebay .The bidding never moved and I contacted him and he said he was going to scrap it .I got the running motor for $300 .
    My point is these motors are out there ,you just have to look hard and be patient.....PAUL

Attached Files:

20. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Killer deals Paul! Patience and persistance pays off!

21. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

Nice show guys the boys here in Thailand really liked it Thanks !

22. Kinky6

Kinky6

Or, you could go trolling over on Aussie eBay, and find a (rare!) Lynx aluminum intake to fit the Oz Falcon 2V head; I have one designed for three SU side-draft one barrels and another that "suits" three Weber or Dellorto "side-draught" 2 barrel carbys. One carb barrel per cylinder, damn near fuel injection! :D

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

23. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

66 Chevy Van terrible vehicle I hated it so much that I had 2 of them in the end. The first 66 Chevy sport van I trade a brand new 70 Corvette for it because I lost my job because of a couple of marijuana plants I grew.

I was supposed to work for Nixon as his adviser on youth when they killed the demonstrators at Kent State Ohio Nixons adviser on youth resigned. I applied for the job with Nixon and it looked like I had until the secret service investigated me and they let them selves into my apartment with out my permission and they found a couple of EVIL pot plants.

Thus I lost the job and had to sell my Vette I traded it even steven for a beat 66 Chevy Van the best vehicle I ever owned traveled the whole country having the best time I ever had.

Put a few engines in my 66 Van another 235 and a 250 over the years it was my daily driver even though I had one of the hottest cars in my class in northern California sitting at my home.

In California I built cars raced for years before moving to Asia to try and reverse the trade imbalance(the importation of cheap Asian goods) by selling US made goods here in Asia.

Sure miss my 66 Chevy Van and my 66 GMC Handy Van I took the H off the word HANDY VAN and it became ANDY VAN my first name.

I had California Plates made up saying Andy Van which I used for years in California.

When I moved to Asia to do trade I simply bolted the Andy Van plates on to my 1923 T-Bucket and modified my California DMV papers on my computer using Photo Shop to say in the box plate number ANDY VAN, I have driven it all over Asia that way for a zillion years!

Aren't I a Bad Boy ! I will bet that will piss some of you off back home and some of you will salute me !

Well here know one gives a rats asss shitte, about all the up tight rules of back home boring !

Being a Hot Rodder here in Asia is like it was in the 50's back home.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  24. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

here is one from my past... sold it to Richard from Gas Monkey Garage.. anyone seen it since ?

52246-1235479546-eafed392bae9ba824584e485e6f89fa5.jpg 30fordpu1.JPG 30model a rod 2.JPG 30model a rod.JPG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  25. Fast_'Nel

Fast_'Nel
    from France

t's a 235ci Six Inline Chevrolet, the block is from '58 and was rebored to 240ci. Brand new 'Sealed Power' forged pistons, lumpy cam, dual point Mallory ignition, and 2 double-barrel webers and dual exhaust for the breathing. Some Offenhauser goodies to make everything look better and all attached to a 3 speed TH350 transmission.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

27. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Really nice setup 'Nel!

28. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

29. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

27fordtt2.jpg 27fordtt4.jpg 27fordtt3.jpg 27fordtrackt.jpg 27fordttp2.jpg another from my past with 50s 6 cyl GMC

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  30. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Nice collection rbantique