Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. Crease

Crease

Barnett and Chop Olds,

I was just funnin on the straight six jab. I have plenty of respect for sixes.

2. kustomd

kustomd

I don't know if you would consider my car a hot rod or not. In my 60 chevy four door I have a little hot 250 six. I built it my self it has been bored .30 307 v8 pistons, head milled .40 thousands, offy 4 barrel intake, night prowlers split cast iron manifolds, holley 390 cfm carb, about a 280 cam shaft I don't remember the exact specs but it an isky cam. Double valve springs for a 70 camaro with a high po 350. And I'm running a turbo 350 w/ a stage II shift kit that was rebuilt by a local trans shop here who builds alot of racing transmittions for the drag racers here in my town. It runs pretty good it would run better if I put the 373's back in it. I've been thinking about trying to find an S10 five speed to put in my truck and maybe in my 60. What year Five speeds fit behind the six where I wouldn't have to change my car or truck to a hydraulic clutch set up?

3. Cranium

Cranium

I'd been wondering for a while why you don't see more sixes out there.
    I had mentioned to a buddy a couple months ago that I'd love to build a little roadster with a slant-6. The leaning tower of power. I like that!
    So last weekend I was flipping through some '62 Hot Rod mags, and low and behold, their "HRM Project" at the time was a roadster with a Slant Six with the "Hyper Pak."
    I thought it was cool... That big, old manifold sticking way out to the right.
    I guess I'm biased. My first car was a '71 Dart with a /6. Loved it. Was still running like a champ when I dumped it. Unfortunately, the body was having a tough yime keeping up with the engine!

4. well I have part of the combo your after. I have a 235 straight 6, getting the treatment soon, but no hot rod to put here in. [​IMG].. that will change soon i hope..

5. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I'm into them. Here's my 200 ford.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. FeO2

FeO2

enough said...

Attached Files:

7. kronikmotorhead

kronikmotorhead

Any pics of a aussie hemi 6

8. 4woody

4woody

Everybody is probably tired of me posting pics of this, but you asked: Plymouth 218 six with 3sp W/O.D.
    Just checking the mileage now, but I dont know yet.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. Alfster

Alfster

<font color="red"> Ain't no crime running inline.

We run a 270 GMC six in the modified. 5 Stromberg carbs, HEI ignition, muncie 4 speed, LSD Borg Warner Rear axle with 4.11 gears.
    It has a sound all of it's own.[​IMG]

There is no way we would ever replace the six in this car with a V anything. [​IMG]

</font>

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and kiwijeff like this.
  10. Alfster

Alfster

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and kiwijeff like this.
  11. Someone should make a shirt out of that design, Alfter! [​IMG]

C'mon, Crease...I was lookin for more fun than that outta you! [​IMG]

12. Alfster

Alfster

[ QUOTE ]
    Someone should make a shirt out of that design, Alfter!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> Or maybe a decal? [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. [ QUOTE ]
    Or maybe a decal?

[/ QUOTE ]

coming soon to a rear window near you........ [​IMG]

14. Crease

Crease

Six in a row make it go damn slow!!!!

More like that Danny?

How was them or-yental folks doin?

15. maydaymike

maydaymike
    from Jasper, AL

I have a stock 230 with a powerglide and a 3.08 rear in my '64 Biscayne. Well, almost stock... it has HEI and a CHROME valve cover! It gets 18-20 mpg going 65-70 mph

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Does it count if it's in a Kustom????
    292 Chevy Truck motor 30 over, big valves, 10 to 1 modified head, cam, Mallory unilite,Langdon cast iron headers, Clifford Reasearch 4bbl with a 500 cfm edelbrook, running through a 200R4 to a 8' with 3:50 rear end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B [​IMG] B

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

the 47 Chevy i just picked up has a 235 I6 with a split manifold and a single 1 barrel. it will soon have 1 2x1 intake, finned valve cover and side cover. as soon as i find these pieces. it runs the stock 47 Chevy 3 speed manual trans and torque tube rear. it PURRRRS and has an exhaust rap like a SERIOUSLY pissed off Honda, different but cool.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

my buddy Dan's 19?? Dodge "modified" with late 40s or early 50s flat head Dodge 6 runnin two carbs and home made exhaust. it's BADASS!!!

Attached Files:

19. Still have the stock 235 in my 54 Chevy. Put a 55 3 speed behind it and a 3.70 geared 55 rear end. The motor is of unknown mileage because the speedo doesn't work. Makes pretty good power and does not smoke, even though it has never had an oil filter. Drove it to Vegas from Wyoming and it used a good bit of oil, about 1/2 to 3/4 a quart per 100 to 150 miles. Don't know where it went, but I think that it burned out the road draft tube. Made about 17 mpg at about 65 mph. Wish I had the power of a V8 though.

Gotta love the sound a 6 makes through straight pipes.

Geno

20. Cad Carver

Cad Carver
    from Tucson,AZ

I've got a 350,000 mile 65 Chevy truck with a 292 and a 3 speed. I took on a 318 dodge truck a few weeks ago and had the possibility of winning, until my linkage slipped and left me broken down for an hour. Now I need to find a 292 to put some money into to "hop up".

21. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

"What is it?" I'm running a GMC 270 in my '55 1st Suburban.

"Is it stock or modified?" Its not original, but the motor itself isn't modified.

"Do you have a Automatic trans?" Yes, still attached to the V-8 I'm going to replace the six with...

"Do you like the power and mileage?" Power is adequate unless I'm pulling a trailer. The mileage is worse than my bigger V-8 pickup, which is one of the reasons I'm planning a swap.

I like the old sixes, but when I started playing with cars hot rods had V-8s and eventually my current one will too.

22. Neatname

Neatname
    from Spokane WA

I have a 49 Chevy Coupe Deluxe, running around with the stock 216 inline, not fast but it scoots right along.Looking to upgrade to a 261 GM, or 235 Chevy...
    I'm fine with inline

23. Here's mine. A 261 that's stock except for Fentons, which I still need a heat plate for.

Attached Files:

24. Kinky6

Kinky6

Hey, Neatname, you should snag that GMC 270, after Oldsub foolishly pulls it out of his 'burb. It'll cost about the same to hop up as a Chevy 261". It is less than two inches longer than your 216", and would fit by just moving your radiator forward the same amount.

Just an idea....

25. Retroline

Retroline

I plan on puting the '58 235 in my '51 F1 just to stir up the ford guys, plus it sounded so good when I fired it up on the garage floor.4 speed saginaw to back it up so I can get that sweet sound out of 2nd gear.

26. Can't wait for the "ain't no crime" stickers
    here's my stovebolt, kinda still in procss of clean up, but running and barkin out the straight pipes...pissin off all my neighbors

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very cool stuff, lots of different combinations.

28. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

My old 250 powered dirt digger. Has to be the funest and best driveing dirt car I have ever ran.

29. FLAT6

FLAT6

Mine is no hot rod, but it's got a flat 6 in it, 226 ford with a 3 on the tree. I got plans to do a roadster with a flat 6 ford too, youll all see what a real hot rod is when I pull that bad boy out [​IMG].

30. kutsem59s

kutsem59s

Here's my orginal 235 and manual three speed. 127,285 miles and still kickin

Attached Files: