Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a Gasser style car ? Stand up and be counted !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey...
    Mr AHOT ROD..
    Think I recall eyeball'n your coupe in the "zoom" book. A fine look'n ride 4 sure... How about some interior pics ?
    My old blister ain't much by no means but was/is a cheap ride. She still turns the knuckles white at times. Don't know if you caught my web site on the coupe.. its
    www.badlandscoupe.com
    Has ta get a Gasser movement going here in the Northeast! If it ain't 4 wheel drive with lots a rust and a gun rack nobody gets fired up....
    Pontiac Slim

Attached Files:

2. L B

L B
    from So Cal

Ok !, I thank you guys for lettin' me in the little gasser post. Bought the 55 out of the back storage at a trailer park just before it was being hauled off by the park's arshole ass ociation. Came with a sbc , fenderwell headers, 2x4 tunnel and 4 sp......Now this sh-t is gonna hurt....ready ?..................................................................................................................$ 8 hun for it . Gonna be on the road soon.....that's the meat....L B

3. Kustm52

Kustm52

Great pictures....wanna sell that $800 Chevy? Give you your money back..! Got a question...anybody have any pictures of any '50s - '60's trucks as gassers? Were there any? The only one I can recall is a mid-'60s Ford LWB that someone has posted pictures here of. Anybody got any pics?

Brian

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here's a Austin pickup.......

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

and here's a Thames pickup.....

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

and a Willys pickup.........

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Pontiac Slim, That is one "Bad-Ass" ride you have got! I'll bet that mutha will really haul ass. Is it street legal by chance?
    I'm going to look at your website and check it out.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

LB, what a steal and find....you have got to be in heavan over a deal like that. Tell me more!
    Glenn

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    '60's trucks as gassers?

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

can an exhibition wheelstander be a "gasser"?

anybody have a picture of a Lark 2 door longroof gasser..

in beige? [​IMG]

Paul

10. dixiedog

dixiedog

Pontiac Slim - that is one of THE BEST stories that i have read in a long time!!!

Your wife must be have came from the same mold as mine - I get the same reaction! I got to drive my boys old 400 horse mullet camaro years ago and the wife was in the back seat, I hit 2nd at 5600, the left front lifted, I glanced in the mirror to the back seat and that was the only time I saw her to scared to talk. At the next light the bitching started and ever since then when I get the look she says "dont you dare!! [​IMG]"

This is one of my favorite pics

Attached Files:

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here are "Big Ricks" pictures of his '55 Chev, one bad ombrey....Rick, I'll let you tell the story.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

now here are the pictures...

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

another of Ricks photos.......

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

the last of Rick's photo's......

15. gowjobs

gowjobs

Mine is still on hold, but here's an idea of what's to come:

Gathered so far:
    383 (if it has enough meat to the walls, we'll bore it and drop in a 440 crank)
    push-button Torq-Flite
    early Dana 60 with truck gears that'll get the "Lincoln-locker" treatment

I'm still hunting for the best straight axle donor/value, but have several other projects I can work on in the mean-time.

Attached Files:

16. dixiedog

dixiedog

For a straight axle donor take a look at a postal Jeep 2wd DJ5 - they have straight tube axle, fairly narrow 44" back of drum to back of drum, has spring pads, strong and is fairly common. Down side is the ugly carrier bearing front hubs.

17. gowjobs

gowjobs

I thought about the DJ-5 (keeping it in the AMC family, right?) but I may bite the bullet and use an aftermarket unit. Just gettin' too hard to find the old Econoline axles any more. I wonder what's under the front end of 2wd Suzuki Samurais...

Dave

18. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Pontiac Slim, That is one "Bad-Ass" ride you have got! I'll bet that mutha will really haul ass. Is it street legal by chance?
    I'm going to look at your website and check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

STREET LEGAL ! Of course ! Now would I run anything on the street that wasn't? Really the car is street legal, put the scoop on last year so I may get the "horrors" for that. I don't run a front plate but no one has said anything (yet)
    Been on the road 20 years this year. I have had a few comments from the "speed cops" but all & all they leave me alone. I pick my spots.. I'm older and wise'r ( well older)now.
    My web site is down, try'n to get it a going. Have'n trouble with domain name.
    "Pontiac Slim"

"if ya fall on your face,ya know you we're proceed'n in a forward directiom"

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Dave.......I love it, that is going to be so cool. If bucks are not a huge issue, get the straight axle set-up from Speedway, that's what I put under my Willys.
    Glenn

20. REBEL

REBEL

Big rick you are heading for the exact same look I want with my 57. [email protected] if you want to talk.

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

Gowjob....where did you ever come up with such a bitchin idea?

22. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey...
    Haz ta say you folks have some fine look'n iron ! Never saw a gasser style ride that wasn't "killer"
    From the Northeast... and yep tis a bit on da "cool" side.
    " Pontiac Slim"

"you HAD the right to remain silent"

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

24. gowjobs

gowjobs

[ QUOTE ]
    Gowjob....where did you ever come up with such a bitchin idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Economics: A buddy had too many projects, had already welded in new sheetmetal to patch up the rust, so he GAVE it to me (no engine)... the only way I could see it being anything other than an Orcabetty-hauler was to get it up on a straight-axle... enter a buddy with a bunch of extra Mopar big-block stuff, and... I just trade it out for work in his custom/restoration shop.

Dave

25. ray

ray
    from colorado

the craziest thing about that blue dodge pickup is the tiny white letter street tires its hookin up on! [​IMG]

26. I just thought I would post this here. It's a full on showcar that is owned by a friend of mine's son.

Whatever is not kandied, is chromed. He's thinking of getting a turntable and hitting the I.S.C.A. showcar circuit. Anyway these pics are not the greatest but, if you see this ride in person, it is period perfect.

This is a shot of it at Chicago's WoW last month. All I can say is "Gasser's Forever"!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. BIG RIC

BIG RIC

Thanks for postin the pics Glenn.
    A ouick run down on the '55,....Narrowed 9" 4:88 spool, pro link ladder bars, relocated leaf springs with floater. straight front axle. (in the process of building it now) Motor will be a 482ci. 13.5:1, Big herbert solid roller, stock LS-7 heads, vertex mag, Tunnel ram with 2 660's at first, injection will come later. Glide with brake, 4,500 converter.
    Will have glass tilt front end, glass deck lid, and rear bumper. wheels will be 15x10 slots on rear, 15x3.5 on front.
    should have a roller to display at the day of the drags this year.

28. 59FORD

59FORD

Here's a coulple of my fav's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. gowjobs

gowjobs

Yeah, those Novas are the target I'm aiming for with my Rambler. Was looking at the Speedway axles today, and I might just go ahead and get the 4" drop (48" kingpin to kingpin) instead of the straight one (a couple of inches narrower, too)... it should still sit higher than stock, but not cartoony, y'know?

30. Steve

Steve

damn I think this thread might beat out the "dream ridez" thread. gojob I was looking at that axle myself. Its not a bad deal. although seeing as I just put new springs all around my 55 will have to wait till next time around for a straight axle. for now it just looks like this but the front ends not so low anymore

Attached Files: