Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who had the coolest car in school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maxwedge66, Jul 31, 2008.

1. teddyp

teddyp

not the coolest car in school but the coolest i had 55 chev 2 dr with a 283 3 speed with a 4.11 rear wish i still had it

Attached Files:

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I had the fastest car my senior year (buddies was faster my soph and junior yrs). mine was one of three really nice rides that would have all competed for nicest

3. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

A kid who was a grade above me ,he had a '66 chevelle ...red w/white skunk stripes rumpty dump 427 th 400 posi it was crazy fast...I didn't have the nicest car, but I thought it was cool,'65 t-bird convertable drove it my senior year (81)...i painted it a horrible dark green metallic in autoshop. then bought a $200 '56 vw bug drove the shit outa it ...still own both of them, drive the bug every now and then, the t-b is in storage.
    Brian.

4. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

I was a greedy bastard. I had the primo '67 Camaro SS for dates and a '72 Vega with a 350 for hangin out with the buds. Never got beat either. Had two holley 650's sitting on a Mickey Thompson cross ram that stuck outta the hood. I had stainless moon hubcaps on it and painted the whole car flat black with 6 cans of spray paint from Kmart. So, ya know, it wouldn't shine from cops headlights hitting it when I was playing "keep away" with them on the drag on Saturday nights.....why I'm not in prison is beyond me, but I turned out ok.
    (I have GOT to get a scanner, I'm lookin at pics of it now...dammit)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  5. Well I drove a 1972 Volksweazel bug with a merged header, dual webber 40's, non baffled stinger to and from school this was from 2002 to 2004. Everyone knew when I was coming from about 2 miles away. But I had a little trick to keep the fuzz off me, I idled it down way low and would just push in the clutch and coast silently, lmfao. Good times!:D But I wish I coulda had a Model A like I do now.

"The Great Depression, like most other periods of severe unemployment, was produced by government mismanagement rather than by any inherent instability of the private economy.-Milton Friedman, vote wisely!"

6. sickboy713

sickboy713
    from oildale

blaine johnson, yes the blaine johnson. we had auto shop together.( late 70's) he drove a forest green 63 or so vette. aaaahhh high school. we had the vette, i drove a 440 69 charger, 3 442's, 2 67 camaro's, 68 charger, big block 69 ranchero, a gto, 1 amx, 1 67 fastback mustang, 55 chevy, 56 chevy wagon, 66 charger, 67 & 68 el camino's, 65 chevelle, 70 nova and a couple more that are slipping my mind. this was my auto shop class. most of the cars were not stock. auto shop had a dyno room. all the big companies would donate parts. the school owned an alum. head 427 and a lt-1 350. we would put the parts ( cams, manifolds, carbs, headers ect.) on the engines and report the findings to the different companies. those of us that built our engines in auto shop also got to use the dyno. never ditched that class LOL

7. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Bugger me, this really is like in those old US Hot Rod mags... kids in the States pulling up to school in this stuff, that's just wild!
    Detroit hardware, auto shop or dynos at my HS, or probably any school in NZ for that matter was unheard of! Sure there was a chunk of it around, but like gas, was a good 5-6 times the price of what it was in the US, so outta reach even for the rich kids in the late 70's - early 80's. My cousin knocked around with a guy at his HS who somehow got his hands on a Ford Customline with a 427 picked from a race boat. Sold it in the end because he couldn't afford the tyres.
    Most of the time our old Pommie snot boxes were about as good as it got, Austin A30's, Vinnies hand painted PB vauxhall, Ants' Triumph Herald with the bathroom tiles on the dashboard,- man those poxy Heralds somehow always ended up on their roofs.
    We tended to work on cars because we had to, not because we wanted to, philosophy; got a shit car, leave it shit!
    However we still had good times destroying them; ie Ford Anglias made good bon fires at 3am on Cornwallis beach, flagon beer, Led Zeppelin blaring...
    Kinda scary to think back that even owning a hotted up 100E Prefect could actually get you laid! I just hope the girls back then looked better than our cars. hahaha...

8. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Probably the coolest car in the lot belonged to the History teacher/Asst. Wrestling Coach. He was kind of a quiet guy,one of those silent body builder types and the guys kind of made fun of him at first. Then one day he drove his "other" car, a Midnight Blue '64 Malibu SS with a built 396 out of a later Chevelle, jacked up in full 1969 style, Vetter header style side pipes and Cragars on all 4 corners with Indy "hot lap" tires on the back. 50's hadn't been invented yet and everybody wanted the widest tires possible so the local tire dealers were buying up practice tires from the Indy teams and guys were putting them on their street cars. His stock went up a few hundred points with the male student body that day.

Of the student cars it's hard to say, nothing like you see in the movies but there was some neat stuff. Tri-Five Chevies, Ford Starliners, early Mustangs, Falcons and lots of '66-'67 Fairlane GT's. Lots of Fords around here back then. There was a pretty cool '64 Catalina 2 Dr. Hdtp. with a 421 4 speed that could lift the front left tire but it got burned up when the kids' Dad set their machine shed on fire cutting a bearing off a manure spreader of all things.

9. Berzerk

Berzerk

I had a 1968 Mercury Couger with a 427 side oiler. Wouldn't say it was the coolest because I was funding it myself. Other guys had finished cars that where paid for by Mom & Dad. But it was the fastest...:D

10. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

when i was in school in the early 90's most of the kids had there parents buying them cars, my brother and i had to build ours mine was a 77 chevy truck i turned into a step side and lowered but it looked like a kid car for a while and was mulitple colors. my brothers car was a late 60's early seventy's bug that i did nothing but work on. it wasnt the coolest but it was definatly earned

11. Mine was a 49 Ford bussiness coupe with a 241 Dodge baby hemiin it , my buddy had a 34 Ford tudor with a 392 with dual 4,s . That car ran like a raped ape.

OLD HEMI

12. i didn't... BUT I bought it from the kid that did!

13. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Well, having a car nicknamed "The Great Pumpkin" wouldn't classify it as the coolest car in school (1987-1990). I had a Medium Orange Metallic '73 Camaro RS, NOT the better Hugger Orange unfortunately. However, my friends had pretty damn cool cars. Villigan had a badd '68 GTO in "Judge" Orange, Adam (still) has a '67 Camaro 4-speed, Kevin had a '68 Mustang 4-speed (later I traded for it), Andy had a '65 Mustang, Geez had a '64 Ranchero, Jon had a '67 Mustang and another Kevin had a '67 Fairlane (2-door club sedan). I'd have to say Kevin with the Fairlane was the craziest; almost losing his license a few times. He'd race anybody, anywhere, anytime. He also drove "Par", a Brown 1970's Dodge Van with a 360 that he literally terrorized the city with. Man could that thing do a mean burnout and smoke up the night sky, hahahahaha.

Kirk! (here on the HAMB) went to the same school I did, but a couple of years ahead of me, I'd like to hear what the coolest cars were then.

14. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I got my 58 Yeoman wagon from a body shop / used car lot in Ventura Ca in 1971.Traded a 1960 Falcon Ranchero and $500.00 bucks--a lot of money then. Previous owner had crunched the right front-- guy took it to the body shop to fix it--shop put on a NEW!! fender and did some body work,then repainted the whole car Root Beer Brown--bitchin' color back then. Guy couldn't pay,so he gave em the car for the work.Found out it had had a 348 in it--but the guy burnt it up,so had a 409 with dual quads in it!I worked at agas station--across the street was a tire shop that recaped tires--every Sat got 2 new caps for the rear--$5.00 a piece--then burnt em up by the next weekend!That was the fastest / scariest car --once you got it going! Later, I got a set of Crager E/T wheels for it--looked like cast Americans--at a yard sale for $20.00,and did the recap thing to them---those were the days!!!

Attached Files:

15. 1970 in Salinas Ca, Alisal High School.
    Bitchen flat black 55 Chevy with a 327 & a tunnel ram. Can't remember the guy's name that owned it but it ran like stink (wished I could remember it because he had his head screwed on right....hell, he might be a HAMBER). Gutted interior, quarter panel wheel wells cut out with a gas axe. Seem to remember he had the car stolen at the Cow Palace in SF while watching a concert. Got the car back minus the engine. If I recall correctly, he was running the car before "2 lane blacktop" came out. Raced him with a 440 six pack Cuda and in the vernacular of the time, "he blew my doors off". Cool thread. Jogged some good memories.

16. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

1965, Queen of Peace HS, North Arlington, NJ
    1961 Chevy Impala Conv.
    Candy Honduras Maroon
    White top.
    White rolled and pleated interior.
    Dressed out 348 w/ 3-2's, 4 speed.
    Lowered, Chrome reversed wheels, narrow whites.
    I almost shit myself when i saw it pull into the parking lot.
    It was owned by Richie Marchitello [how'd I pull that up?] who
    wasn't a car guy, but his dad bought it out of Ca. from the back of
    Hot Rod magazine [remember those ads?]. I'd seen it in the ad the
    month before, and was dumbfounded to see it in person. He never
    knew what he had. Awesome car though, and the first one I'd ever seen
    done to that level on the street.

17. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Max Stonebraker (good friend). 70 nova, all black,355 with 13 to 1's,tunnel ram,660's, 4 speed and 5:13's in a 12 bolt rear with a straight front axle from an econoline van:D man that thing would move.could hardly ever get a race after the front axle went in, musta looked too radical or something.:rolleyes:
    He had a younger brother that had a 72 nova and was learning about 400 small blocks the "hard way".He musta broke 6 or 7 of the 400's but when they ran, with 4:56's his stuff was close to Max's.
    I had a 70 Z28 with a 1/2 assed 350, stick,3:55's and chrome header sidepipes:p man those were legburners:mad: my stuff was no match for these guys though we all hung out/cruised around.
    Another friend had a 69 dogmaro 307 powerglide car that had a smokin 400 smallblock in it, engine painted stock chevy orange with a stock black aircleaner and a "307" decal on it. He'd always race(anything) and usually win some money. The 307 emblems made it look like a sucker bet....

Other cars in the school lot were a 65 tripower GTO (my brother in law now) a 67 GTA390 stick car (kinda rusty) a 455 olds powered "omega" and a FAST no shit LT1 73 Camaro with 4 speed, 64 malibu ragtop with a 327,a 70 SS396 shovell.
    The rich kids had firebirds and camaros (late 70's) but would never race any of us.
    I worked my ass off cleaning an office building,dumping trash, and washing dishes 'til midnite to be able to go cruisin' on fri and sat nites...

writing this kinda takes me back there......Thanks

18. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

I had and still do, a '59 Chevy P/U that I got my junior year, in '97. School was 22 miles from where I lived, it was great driving that in morning rush hour traffic on the highways here. Still had the 3 on the tree in it, one kids got in it and said "thought you said it was standard". Still makes me laugh to this day almost 10 years later.

19. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I'm still in high school. I drive my 69 F-100 with a 390 headers, hotrod cam, edelbrock intake and holley carb. It is the oldest vehicle in the parking lot. A lot of people have complimented me on it. My friend had an 86 C-10 and said his truck could kick my trucks ass. His had a stock 305 that rattled. We never raced. Then there is the jacked up silverados, the ricers and the new cars. Another one of my friends has a 98 vette but he isn't a car guy.

20. jimmyv

jimmyv

Don't know if anyone else thought it was cool but I had a 60 Impala 2 door hardtop with air shocks, slots, big white letter tires, and a 8-track. Graduated in 1980. Everyone else was driving 60's muscle cars.

21. madjack

madjack

Started off with a '67 rs/ss camaro and moved up in 1970 as a senior to a new 340/4spd 'Cuda that I bought using money earned working in a wrecking yard and bagging groceries. The summer after graduation I stuffed a direct connection 426 crate motor into it... Great fun. Lost track of the car for 25 years only to find out my next door neighbor of over 15 years has it in a storage unit not 10 miles from my house. No he won't sell it

22. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Anyone out there know how to build a time machine? I wanna go back to see that race! Wicked shet.
    :D

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

I dug my cars. I had a '64 Galaxie 500XL convertible. There were two guys with '57 Chevys. Pretty much everyone else had new cars.

I sold the Galaxie and got a '69 Firebird that I raced A LOT for money, and then a '76 Chevy Luv show truck. Convertible top, molded tailgate, carpet kit, Porsche alloys, 914 seats, chromed Buick rear end, moon tank in the bed.

24. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

Lot of cars in my scool in 1980 nova's camaro's 38 ply coupe with a 413 55 chevy with a tilt nose and mine a 58 belair 348 1/8 over 409 heads 2 fours super t10 4;56 gear brown ember rust and white tan polled and pleat gut 54 chevy grill. Drove it to scool every day raced it at e town ever weekend got 1st place at the asbury col. car show had a blast with it and it got me hooked on drag racing. Im going to have to do another 58 some day but right now got to finish my nost. funny car

ROCKY getting ready for the FCR next weekend

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't have a car yet but Madera Hi-1956--3 cool cars--53 Bel Air with 265,40 black ford 2 dr wuth loaded flathead and new black 56 Chevy lowered and loud. In 58 there was a black 55 Chevy 210 DelRay with a loaded Cad, lowered and fiesta caps--quick for the time as I recall.

26. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

Class of '79. I rode a Yamaha enduro, pretended it was a Harley, and despite all that somehow managed to keep my virginity.

27. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Knew a chick moved down to New Zealand in the mid 70's from Canada where she had a Javelin with a 390 at high school. Said all the kids wanted to ride with her cause it was the fastest car in school. Broke her heart when she sold it for like 900 bucks. She moved down thinking - Oh it's ok I'll just buy another one when I get to NZ.
    Didn't realize kids here had no such animal, so ended up buying a Morris 1100 Landcrab instead... and paid a difference! Ahahahaha, gutted. Sorry Janice, but funny story. Guess youre an Athiest now.

:)

Here's one of those old turd buckets here....(That's HAMB material baby!)...

Attached Files:

28. Richard Head

Richard Head

Mine wasn't the coolest, mainly because it wasn't an import with a subwoofer and a Local Motion sticker in the back window.
    [​IMG]
    It did have a big block, killer stance and it was built and painted by my dad and myself in our 2 car garage with 3 cars stuffed in it.
    [​IMG]

I still own/drive it today.

Dave

29. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Class of '66 ,John Jay H.S. South Salem ,N.Y. My first was a '58 Olds ,painted red wheels ,real cruiser-giant back seat ! Then my famous '54 ford two-door,baby moons ,gasser Blue tinted windows, surf decals,reversed shackles, hurst 3-speed. Then my friend "Tiny" ,now running a nostalgia funny car with N.E.T.O. ,got some kind of accident settelment and blew everyone away when he rolls in with a chopped ,channelled, fenderless ,blue metallic Duece Coupe called "tiki". Beat out us all including the rich kid , Daddy bought a restored red '57 T-bird. Would like to find what happened to old "tiki"

30. johnboy94

johnboy94

There were not a lot of "car guys" at our school, but in the late 80's you had all the mini truck stuff.

I bought a pair of 47 and 52 GMC tucks when I was 14.

Worked my ass off for close to 4 years to get one truck on the road. Dad was a big help, ended up with a Camaro front clip, Camaro rear axle, PS PB pretty much loaded out. I had a neighbor that was the GM at the Chevy house so he sold me a running driving 4dr caprice with a 400 SB and TH-350. I had a great deal with the local junk yard, the owner loved that the fact I was building my own thing. I could get anything I wanted if I pulled it, didn't bother his guys, and brought my own tools. I worked in body shops, and for car dealers all the way through highschool, so I picked up enough skills to do my own thing. I would not drive the 47 until it was completed, don't know why I just wanted it finished in paint and right before I rolled it out. Before the 47 was on the road, I had 10 or 15 other cars, trucks, bikes etc... I did get the 47 on the road about mid way through my senior year and enjoyed every minute of it. A few years later in college I had to have a Vette, dad always had one while I was growing up so I sold the 47 and a mint 64 Plymouth Sport Fury 2dr HT to buy the Vette. Drove it for 3 of the 7 years I was in college, then found out how expensive owning a vette really was.

For my birthday this year my wife put together a photo album (guess she got a lot of pics from mom) of all my cars dating back 20 years. There are a few missing but man it was nice to get all of those memories back.

BTW my 4 year old has 47 Jeepster that my pop's bought him at age 2.
    My wife just shakes her head.
    Johnboy