Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Else has been doing without a GARAGE!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Nov 27, 2008.

1. rainh8r

rainh8r

The other question is whether or not you are working outside because the garage is so full of stuff that you can't work in it. Too much stuff that can't get wet means you need twice the space, so I'm working outside while the garage has become just a storage facility.

2. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Yep... Same here...:rolleyes: Garage is full of motors and parts and two cars. The 69 Bird convertible that is buried hasn't seen daylight in 16years.

[​IMG]

3. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

thats exactly what happened to me, i had plans of working in the garage but it filled up on the first day when i striped the car, also the car needed to be tipped on its side wich i couldnt do in there anyway, now my car has all its panels on i can squeeze it in again wich is much less stressfull than going to work with a weekends work left in bare metal, i just pull it out when i work on it bit ive been wiring this week inside the car and ive been able to work on it inside with music, beer and a fan (its almost summer here) its pretty a luxurios environment now.

4. Doing some work behind a friends engine shop. A number of years ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  5. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

I feel ya. This was the middle of march this year. Took an hour to dig out the modern junk there next to it.

[​IMG]

6. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

my last house had a 2 1/2 car -25x30 behind the house with a double wide driveway from the street to it, could park 6 cars on it behind a gate now;
    I have a 2 car garage that houses the wife's v.w. on one side and on the other half is my bench,cabinets, compresser, toolbox,drillpress,lathe, kids bikes,scooters etc...outside next to the garage I have a 3car deep driveway with a 9x20 tent garage...thats were the wagon sleeps... do all
    my work on the front driveway...my neighbors get a kick seeing all the progress I make... when I moved here a friend who was used to the old garage said it perfectly...DAMN you packed all yer shit in here.:eek:

working on the wagon last fall...
    [​IMG]

7. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Whats a garage??

[​IMG]

8. I'll say it again, even when you have a garage, you end up working outside. I just spent 3 hours a couple days ago replacing the front hub on my work Van. It was cold and wet!!!
    Heres what my 900 sf garage looks like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The house has a 680 sf garage that is also stuffed and then the Barn is stuffed with stuff. This stuff belongs in dry areas so what to do. Build more buildings so you can store more stuff. It gets pretty ugly when you are trying to find something and you go from one to the next to the next to the next and then do it again. The more room you have, the more stuff you collect!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It never gets any better. Its an illness!!!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  9. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Sold the house in '96 when I got divorced and haven't had a garage since.
    I just got married in Sept. and we're starting to look around at houses.
    Won't be looking to seriously buy til about Sept.09
    BUT, both of us agree, the kids are in their late teens and soon will be outta the house, so we both want a SMALL house and a LARGE garage/workshop.
    We're looking to find a place that's outta town a bit with some land.
    My wife is great, loves cars and bikes but really isn't crazy about me building another bike in the living room...
    [​IMG]

I don't want to do that again either. I just don't understand today's society. Guys that don't even give a workshop a second thought when buying a house??...pfft.
    Laura and I have become HGTV junkies recently. Constantly watching it as we are both chomping at the bit to have a house/workshop.
    We've got some great ideas from HGTV too. When they are redoing a garage, Laura will holler at me. They also give websites of parts, furniture and tools they use/install.
    Found these here on the web after a 'Garage Show'...
    This one is way cool as it has a lift...
    [​IMG]
    But I love all the space in this one...notice the parts cleaner/blaster on the left...
    [​IMG]

Not long now though. Just gotta tough it out a few more months.
    I'm very fortunate to have a wife on 'my side' in our journey to a shop.
    Cheers!
    ~Jef

10. ehdubya

ehdubya

Breeder that's the lord trying to tell you to be kind to tractors, at least your house stayed put. My dream car with "a little rust behind the doors" I bought sight unseen got a body graft on an increasingly public wharf to the sound of jack hammers as the neighborhood was being leveled. We were going to have to move "anytime soon" but I ended up getting 4 months there and we stashed it under a fibreglass sphinx head at a theatrical prop store till I could ship it home.
    FCCool that's some tenacity, just getting a car off the street in Sydney's inner burbs is usually impossible, a boogie board and a deep gutter is a luxury. Lots of abandoned cars and parts however and a potential relationship with the towing contractors.

Attached Files:

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I just got mine finished. Been running conduit, pulling wires, hanging lights. We moved about 300 miles in July and Ive been renting a shop to work out of and store all my stuff. It will be good to by back in my own shop. Not to mention saving the rent money.
    [​IMG]

12. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

I have a one bay garage and it is full of bikes,toys and other family stuff. My car sits in the driveway year round. My wife is afraid the neighbors think its an "eye sore".

My buddy has a 5 bay garage and offered to put my belair in one bay. My wife now says, "No way! if the car was over there, she'd never see me around here."

I am building addition to my house now, when thats done, we are building my dream garage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

When the addition is done, pull all that crap outta the one-bay garage and jam it into the addition and then you'll have a garage again!
    And at least a place to park/work on your ride till that 'dream garage' comes about.

14. 3rd and where

15. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

when we were looking for a house I said it had to have a big yard so I could build my garage/shop if it didnt happen..well we bought a house.. on about 3/4 of an acre.. and 5 years have sped by and this is what I got..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    right now the truck is back in it so I can get it ready for paint, will paint it in there as well I guess.. then move the 50 chop back in it soon as I can to start work on it.. aint the shop I wanted but with a little one now runnign around.. its all i could afford...figured in another few years Id finally get a real one.

16. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

End of Third near the high school. Gravel driveway, 53 chev out front,
    total absence of a decent shop.

17. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I am lucky enough to have a 30x30 shop that is packed. I have my 51 F-1 in there my 69 F-100 and my TR7 in there. There is also a T bucket body in there a couple spare motors and trannys, a gocart and a bunch of fab equipment and some wood working stuff. I can walk around the trucks so its good. The TR7 is stuck in the corner

18. oldsman71

oldsman71

i worked out of alot of different shops but at home i still have what i call myspace = a little cement slab, big enough for a car, cherry picker, and a couple engines on stands close enough to the house but still have to keep tools in my inside!! I wouldnt know what to do if I could just leave stuff laying and leave for a while, maybe some time ill get a better house and shop! dont have all I want, but got what i need!!!!

19. R.Allan

R.Allan
    BANNED
    from Ca

i worked on my first couple of projects in my drive way outside in the summer heat and under easy-ups in the rain. shop lights lit up the whole place when the sun went down after work. aslo did some work in a little wooden garage with dirt floors spider webs everywhere and had to use extension cords to plug in to power. that place was already falling down when spark caught it on fire.

20. blown green t

blown green t

I worked in a carport for years with a little shed to keep the tools in. Had to pick up everything so no one would walk off with it. Now I have a two car garage and it's my oasis! Roadster in the middle and shelfs and work bench on the sides. As for using a garage as storage, if my wife tries to stack boxes in the garage they get promptly tossed out on the patio!

21. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Jarred, a poll was taken and it's unanimous!

We all hate you.

;)

22. dixiedog

dixiedog

Selling my house in Jacksonville with 1000sf shop, ass load of concrete parking for our new house in St Augustine with a 2 car garage that doubles as a den/poker room.
    Here is the link on craigslist http://daytona.craigslist.org/reo/938904083.html

Attached Files:

23. Greasy64

Greasy64

[​IMG]

Cool photo, inspiring story behind it. Glendale Ca. 1945 American gearhead Yam Okamuro gets home from "Camp Manzanar." Cant get steel yet to build a shop so to feed his family he gets started in business in a friend's back yard. I copied it, and it is framed behind my desk in my office. Lots of details in the photo. The closer you look the more you see.

Attached Files:

24. Lucky77

Lucky77

Well I had a 24'X32' garage until I joined the HAMB, I guess they call it a 2.5 car. Although it currently contains my 31 Sedan, 32 truck, 30 roadster, 87 Monte SS, 73 Triumph Tiger and the new model A frame for the roadster. So now I can't get any work done because there's no room. And for some reason I thought I needed to buy this 52 Triumph Speed Twin that's on it's way from Texas as I type. It can't fit in the garage so it's either going in the computer room or the bedroom. And no I haven't told the girlfriend yet:D

Attached Files:

25. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Nothing $350 and a Tractor Supply Company can't fix.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. This shop is just to friggin' clean and neat ... !!! :D

27. poseur111

poseur111

Yeah, been using my mother-in-law's garage for about a year and a half. If anybody's looking for a 2000s.f. condo in Augusta, GA. LET ME KNOW.

28. I have NEVER done without a garage, except for the short time I was living in a barracks on-base when I was a little Airman. Once I was able to move off-base, I would not consider an apartment or mobile at all! I've always rented or owned a house with at least a one-car garage. My '66 Coronet, which I've owned since 1980, has spent only 17 months parked outside in the nearly 30 years I have owned it. A garage has always been the first thing I've looked at in a house, even when I rented. No garage? I looked some more until I found a house that had one.

Fish Tank, that is a beautiful shop!!! One to definitely pattern after, no doubt! You have a great wife, as do I, that helps you feed the shop addiction!

29. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I do what I can outside but, it sucks sometimes. When it's nice weather, it's the greatest thing in the world. I have an old mobile home on my place I can work in to get out of the weather and make stuff in when it's raining. but, it's still limited on space. Can't keep a car in there that's for sure.

30. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

i have built 5 cars out of a damn pop up tent chopped, channeled, swung motors.you name it ...i bought a bullet heater for the winter that bareley keeps me warm ..summers i die cause the sun shines on one side more than the other and ya fell like ya in a microwave getting cooked..when it rains the little holes in the top drip down and land on your head..it sound preeety shitty but it works preety good ...its better than having nothing i guess one day ill have my own place with a garage ....until than its make do with what i have..thats just my 2 cents