Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Else has been doing without a GARAGE!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I spent 11 years without a garage at our old house in Calgary. I did a complete frame-up rebuild of my '48 Chevy pickup there on a gravel parking pad. It took 3 1/2 months of frantic work to get it done before winter set in.

The house we bought last year came with this 12 x 20 garage. It's not really big enough to do much work in, but it sure beats the hell out of no garage at all. We are hoping to build a second 22 x 30 garage on the property within a few years to use as a workshop.

[​IMG]

2. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

I have a one-car but I can't fit a car inside. It doesn't have any power either. I work at a university and take night classes so I'm really hoping it stays relatively warm during winter break so I can get some shit done.

3. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Back in the day we had no garage in Virginia. Every time it snowed...something broke. Nothin like putting a starter on in a foot of snow.

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

been working without a garage to long , at least the old motorcycles fit in the cellar for tear down ,

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

[​IMG][/quote]
    That looks like a traditional garage :D where a hot rod may have been built in the 30/40s

6. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Just a picture depicting my garage area!!!!!!This is the reason for the name shadetree!!!

Attached Files:

7. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I just have a 1 car garage and it SUCKS but, I guess it beats no Garage.
    [​IMG]

8. No garage at home...just a porta-garage which is a tarp over a frame deal. Absolutely sucks to do any work in so I don,t. I do however get to work on my car at the dealership where I work any time I want. Thats cool since all of my tools,mig etc are there as well as getting to use a hoist.Right now the car is bundled away for the winter until spring shows it,s face again. In the mean time it,s selling and buying off of the net to keep me sane. That and the local hotels....

9. iamspencer

iamspencer

Ive got a gravle driveway and nothign else but a workbench/cabnet I made.
    my shop heater is a campfire
    and my fridge is the snow surrounding it.

10. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

It very well could have been! As far as we can tell the garage was built during that timeframe. Here's a current interior shot...

[​IMG]

11. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Another E'burger? amazing.
    I'm on third nomobux. drop by and grab a beer some evening.

12. I'm still building a car inside a 12 x 26' garage. My dream shop is in under somebody else's name today. I had place in the country, house on a hill, critters around.
    1200 sq ft inside, another 400 outside, 200 amp service, lighting.
    Ex-wife. Bitched enough.

13. beatcad

beatcad

i went about 8 years w/o a garage it was horrible in the winter. i lived in a trailer park w/ a 8x8 shed and a drive/park pad that was long enough for 3 cars, and i aint talkin' about honda civics. i mean big long 50s/60s cars.
    my neighbors were cool, so workin' on cars was cool.
    the worst part was realising what time it was and having to stop in the middle of a project to gather up all my tools and put them away befor the sun went down.
    i was lucky enough that if i need to do a big job like swap a motor i could go to my dads house/garage about 25 minutes away or the body shop i work at.
    house w/ 2 car garage now. and it's packed. i'll do some serious cleanin' soon. i promice.
    [​IMG]

14. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

where is the snow!!!!!!

15. Joe Daddy

Joe Daddy

No garage also, but a long driveway. I can fit about six cars. I set up a couple of canopys and they help out a lot. But yeah it sucks with out a garage...

16. David Chandler

David Chandler

I've never had one, and it sucks as others have mentioned. I've done the blue tarp thing too. And bugs stuck in my paint job too. I've got everything crammed into my shed, and I wonder why it hasn't collapsed under the weight. Once my model a gets close to being movable under it's own steam, I'll put something up. Seeing how it's topless I want to keep the elements out of it.

17. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

And when you do get one don't think it will be enough, because it's never big enough.

18. EHBoy

EHBoy

feeling you pain mate i have a very small single modern car garage and i currently have my flatty in there working on it but there isnt a lot of space left. my car dosent even fit in there.
    stupid modern society and there small jap s**tbox's.

19. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

i have one, but to do underneath the car i couldnt turn it over inside, so it ended up tipped on its side in the front yard as a cleaned, cut, welded, modified and painted the underside but anyway, when i pulled the car apart the shed quicly filled up with panels and engine pieces and interior, stuff like the front end and subframe for a while wouldnt even fit in the shed and our back yard is tiny so the front yard was covered in parts and a turned over car, the car lived outside for nearly 3 years, the first year it pissed down rain almost every weekend, all i could do was sit there and watch everything go rusty.
    [​IMG]
    my front yard
    [​IMG]
    when ever it rained there was a mad dash to get the mig and power tools under cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    at first i was working into the night, welding away under the stars but the council stopped me due to offensive light and noise.
    [​IMG]
    i had the whole front lawn as a work bench
    [​IMG]
    the first summer hit and i picked up this tent thingo on clearance for $9, it was good, sitting in the shade with a cold beer and music working away at the floor but then a storm came and turned it to broken poles and rags.
    [​IMG]
    then finally i got it rite way up again.
    [​IMG]
    now it had no rust underneath, all finished in 2k white anprotected but i had forgotten just how rusty the rest of the car was.
    [​IMG]
    then the paint started coming off the body
    [​IMG]
    eventually the weather got to me and a splurged out on a portable carport tent thingo
    [​IMG]
    when winter came i finally had parts ready for paint, it was hard trying to get enough warmth in the parts using a pair of floodlights.
    [​IMG]
    ispent a whole saturday scrubbing all the rust of the metal witch was really starting to bite in, i took this picture the next day
    [​IMG]
    and that afternoon it rained and it looked like this the next day
    [​IMG]
    while the missus was out and it was pouring rain i assembled the front end in the kitchen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then we had a windy day, i was working away on the car and the whole tent thingo just blew to pieces
    [​IMG]
    so then i got this flash carport tent thingo with side curtains and windows, the remains of the old one become a car cover.
    [​IMG]
    still the floor got wet pretty quick if it rained becuase of the slope on the front yard and power tools often drowned
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

one day i came home early from the nostalgia drags to get the tailgate ready for epoxy primer, i was sitting behind the car doing the final rubbing and then i looked up and watched the whole roof tear open from the wind
    [​IMG]
    so there was a mad rush to get the shed cleared out and the car in as we were about to go to wintersun 2007 for the long weekend and i didnt want to leave the car in the wild weather for days unattended wrapped in tarps, by time i got it in (well half in) the tent looked like this.
    [​IMG]
    i couldnt fit the whole car in the shed, i went away with the door open and the car half in.
    and this is the only picture i have of the one of ebay i replaced it with
    [​IMG]
    then came the hale, some of it was cricket ball size, fortunately i had just bought a new carport tent wich broke the fall becuase our other cars were stuffed after this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then we had the land lord coming, a quick tidy up and some parts had to get stashed at other peoples houses.
    [​IMG]
    after mega work redoing stuff that had been exposed too much and covering everything within 20 mteres in green dust from evercoat rage filler i ended up having a big throw out and cleered the shed just enough to squeeze the whole car in, it was so cool, a had the stereo speakers on each side of the garage and was working in the sweet spot for stereo sound in the winter with a heater and floodlights, i finally had a climate controlled environment, except i was squashed up against everything, i painted the car trying to keep the spray even, wet and smooth while climbing over stuff while going down the sides of the car is one thing i regret not getting on video.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so even with a garage you still end up outside all the time, unless you have a big garage.

21. duste01

duste01

boy I can relate........

22. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Since moving into the new place a few years back I've been without a garage but judging by some of yaw's progress, I aint been DOING. My thrashin has slowed to a crawl. I had this 30X40 slab poured in Sept '07. I need to stop making BS excuses get my ass in gear.

Attached Files:

23. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

The only problem with my garage space, is in the fall and the winter, when the leaves fall off, my roof leaks pretty bad!!!!

We should start our own club!!!
    Anybody can build a rod, in a nice well lighted, warm and cozy garage, but you have to be pretty tough, crazy, or both, to try it out under the moon, and stars!!!

Shadetree

Attached Files:

24. James427

James427
    BANNED

Wow FCCOOL, you've definately earned the right to cruise in that bad boy.

25. Man I feel for you guys without a roof, it takes guts to build a rod that way. I started with the proverbial shade tree and a 4x8 plywood on saw horses as a work bench when I was 12 and had just bought my '57 Chevy 2drhtp running with 283/powerglide. I managed to install a '65 396 and a muncie 3 speed, convert the front clip to tilt and cut the stock firewall out and install a aluminum one, homemade slapper bars ( built in shop class no less) The only store bought items were hedman headers and hush thrush mufflers. All this done by my 15th b-day in 1977!
    After that Our car club rented a building for 7 cars and the serious rent paying guys did well there for several years and I built my first shop when I was 17,a a 24x24 behind the folks place and was in heaven! All good things come to those who hope and wait guys.........but those early days are remembered reading this thread.

26. krooser

krooser

Built this in '95 after 30 years without a shop...

[​IMG]

27. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

it doesnt snow in MO in july bro!:D

fccool....ill never bitch about my non shop again! you rule man!!!!!!:cool:

28. In the last 17 yrs I've built lots of rides under my 10x40 carport. Haven't had real shop since 1985 when I had a 4200 sqft paint & body/hot rod shop and an 8000 sq ft big rig body shop. Now I have a new house and will be building a small 30x36 shop fully enclosed this time, with finished walls and A/C for those 105 degree Texas summers!

Mikey
    www.MikeysPinstriping.com
    www.HotRodConsulting.com

29. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

i have been without 6yrs last year worked in a 40x80 quansit no heat gaping holes in the side no doors and 700ft of extension cord from the house every week my project was buried in snow throught the winter. now i got a 2 car 10 ft high insulated and heated garage. best place i could ever ask for!my hiding spot from the wife and inlaws:D

30. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

quit yer bitchen', i got a 2 bay garage, and no car to build:mad::eek::D

sorry, having project withdrawl along with cash for a project withdrawl:(