Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who else does NOT enjoy working on your cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Aug 1, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I'm the opposite. Since I could remember I've been thumbing through catalogs, and magazines drawing and designing cars, and spending every weekend with my dad working on old, going to car shows, and digging through junk yards. I've always been the person who loved taking things apart and putting them together. I don't mind getting covered in grease and oil and getting cut up it makes it all the more gratifying when you finally got it all together and running.

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

You can enjoy the hobby with out being in the garage for years building the car, everyone is different. I have been involved in car hobby for 50+ years now and the majority of men I've known are not hard core builders. With age comes some health issues, Arthritis being the worst for taking away any enjoyment from working on cars or any physical project IMO. I enjoy the satisfaction of my efforts in many areas of DIY and still do and having a hard time grasping the concept of paying someone for something I know how to do,(working on a house improvement project that I and wife are doing, best quote I had was 30K, looks like going to have around 12/13K+ in it, but it's just about killing me, thinking my last big project) that's my future, PAY someone or do without. ENJOY The Hobby, there are many types of Hot Rodder, the friends you make at shows, cruises are the best, Do things your way and it all works out.

3. I don't mind at all. I like the idea of being to get in the car at any time and take a ride. When my whip is broken, I buckle down and fix it. Summon the troops for a big effort. I work on their cars too so it evens out. You need to find people to work with, on your stuff and theirs.

Donuts & Peelouts and wicarnut like this.
  4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've never had a lot of energy, and it isn't getting better. I don't bend like I used to, so if the job is at desk height and I can sit on a chair doing it I'm OK. And my finances aren't anything like what I'd hoped they'd be by now.

Convergences of energy, time, and money don't happen that often.

But I can do the brainwork all day. Problem is, the less healthy the finances, the more fanciful the design becomes.

I haven't even done a decent drawing in years. As a teenager I'd pump out several pages a day. In my '20s I'd developed more dramatic techniques which took more time, but even then nobody would have thought that I'd ever stop drawing.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There have been a few times in my present build, when I thought about just quitting. And fortunately, I'm not a quitter. What sometimes gets me back on track is taking a drive. In my local travels I never see a Hot Rod or Custom driving around. I look at the other drivers in their metal coffins trudging around looking miserable and it makes me think, "I'm REALLY going to shake up your drive one day soon."

You guys ever see the looks in someones eyes or face, when they spot you on the road in your old ride? It breaks up that persons miserable mood and sometimes brings a smile or a thumbs up. For me, that makes all the trouble and work involved in building a Hot Rod worth while.

So, whether you start from scratch or tweak a car you bought, it'll always be worth it. Not only to you, but to that guy driving a mini-van full of kids, who wishes he could be you for a day. Self centered? A little. But if this shit was easy, everyone would have one.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I used to draw all the time too. It kinda worries me every now and then. But I had a gal tell me, "You're still being creative. You just found another medium for expression. Go with it."

7. Every post in this thread is really awesome, great insights.

You actually have a lot of self awareness, and already see this as lots of "greys" vs. "black and white". You are a "car-guy", that's in your head, not what you do.

I'd like to know what you do for a living? I'll bet it plays a roll.

I build custom furniture for wealthy people. spend all my waking hours agonizing over details, getting everything perfect for them. In my own time I still like to build things, wrench on cars and do metal fab, but I get "ZERO" enjoyment out of doing anything 'right'. It's either wam, bam, thank you 'mam or nothing for me. My wife will look at some abortion I've made and say: "this is so sloppy, doesn't it bother you as a fine craftsman to do something so half ass?" I say "Exactly. You understand me perfectly. Now if you'll pass me the butter knife, I have to put the screws in..."

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You lucky bastard! :)
    At a mere 36 years of age you've sussed out what works for you and you've now still got plenty of life ahead of you to enjoy it to the max!
    Some guys never figure out what works for them, and it doesn't get easier as you get older if your energy levels subside!
    Chris

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have no desire to work on my next car. I hate...HATE...fixing things when it needs fixing, i.e. broken down daily drivers. But I also hate, even more, new cars. My 'daily' cars are 22 and 26 years old. They still work better than any new car so really I don't have to fix them that often....

Ned Ludd, williebill and trollst like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

For a lot of guys this hobby is like therapy. There are a lot of angles to it, from bodywork and fabrication and painting to mechanical restoration and machine work, tuning, electronics, upholstery, even woodworking. Also really cool related stuff. Vintage tools and diagnostic equipment, petroliana and sign collecting. Some guy even collects and has a whole wall display of different brands of wax polish. Definitely something for everyone.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

what a great thread................I'll be back when I get home from work. Bob

SLCK64 and flatheadpete like this.
  12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

All the hard work is done. Farm out the paint, upholstery, etc. and maybe some of the final assembly items like wiring. You were probably going to hire out at least the paint and upholstery anyway. Ask around for a local Rod shop reference for final assembly bids if you're burned out on that.
    At least you got the car to the stage that it's at and be grateful you had the financial means to build your dream shop with a hoist. If nothing else, you've got a nice stable for the finished car and a hoist to inspect the underside and do simple maintenance down the road.
    As much as we'd like to think that most old car owners do most of their builds, I'd bet that the majority buy their rides finished or nearly finished or farm out most of the work or the entire builds.

13. I'm at the 3-year mark of owning the Ford. Been driving it for a solid year and fixing things as they come up, making improvements. I like the thrill of the hunt, finding parts, seeing how they work, doing something I've never done before. Its nice when everything on the car works, like a normal car. Even the trunk is set up nice, floor jack in a custom-made box, new spare, bag of tools and parts that may get me home if I get stuck.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daily life:
    IMG_20170714_102247334_HDR.jpg IMG_20170714_102430615_HDR.jpg IMG_20170713_131814767_HDR.jpg
    In the 2nd pic you can just barely see my 39 Std sitting like that for the better part of a year. Dream job? Sure, but sometimes it's more a nightmare. Imagine eating the same kind of sandwich every day.

Ned Ludd, metalman, clunker and 2 others like this.
  15. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I hate working a the car that NEEDS to get me somewhere in the morning.

Working on the Rod is enjoyment but on certain days it turns to frustration. That's when the I set down the little hammer and leave the big one in the tool box, turn off the light and forget about it.

Also I much rather be in the garage tinkering than sitting on a scalding hot black top parking lot waiting to see the results of the popularity contest.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. metalman

metalman

This statement makes me think of a movie clip I stumbled across just the other night. It was a trailer from " Then came Bronson" (1969 TV show) where a dude in a station wagon stuck in commuter traffic looks at Bronson sitting at a light on his Harley loaded up for a road trip and says "wish I were you". Geez, I remember thinking the same thing when I watched it back in 69....
    "Hang in there man"

Hotdoggin DaddyO and williebill like this.
  17. Maybe get into underwater basket weaving. If you can hold yer breath long enuf

Donuts & Peelouts and Never2low like this.
  18. Packrat

Packrat

I definitely understand. My 3 best friends that I worked on cars with were my brother, he was murdered in 2009, another really great friend who died of cancer last year, and a good buddy that just turned 65 and hasn't worked on anything in a long while. All 3 of these guys were very knowledgeable and could do about anything. So I'm pretty much without any help any more, makes everything take longer. The garage is still my favorite place to be, crank the music up loud and start piddlin on something. Just don't get as much done anymore, but I don't really worry about that, it'll get done when it gets done.

Felix 40, pat59 and Blues4U like this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Nothing I love better than jumping in my heap to test out the latest repair, modification or adjustment I've made.

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wildwest:
    You're not a looser.
    You proved to yourself that you can do it - up to a point, after which you loose interest.
    That's ok. From now on, do what makes you feel comfortable.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." (CE)

1959Nomad and BradinNC like this.
  21. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

You're 36... and have a 2 post lift? I'm 61 and still lying on cardboard. Lol

Seriously, maybe just take a break for awhile. That might be all you need.

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

All the time. Compared to the old Chevelle I used to drive, the hot rod gets far, far more glances, smiles, thumbs up, conversations from strangers, etc. Everytime I drive it. Not that classic Chevelle's don' get any attention, they do, but not like an early Ford hot rod.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  23. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

I still do everything myself. You don't know how well things are done unless you do it yourself, and yes its a little harder getting off the ground as when we were younger!

24. Terrible80

Terrible80

Do you have a buddy that has any mechanical ability? Maybe if someone hung out with you in that excellent shop you'd enjoy it more.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. I started my '29 AA project in 1974, and slowly progressed to the stage where the chassis is done, the body is in primer and all I need to do is rebuild the engine, add a driveshaft, radiator, glass, exhaust, wiring, fuel tank, gauges, lots of other little things and upholstery. I'm 68 now, retired for more than two years and dealing with unplanned debt that has stalled the project. I've gotten sick of this truck several times over the years, tried to sell it three times, yet I'm glad I didn't now. Will I get it on the road before I die? Dunno. Also, I'm constantly fixing our three daily drivers (mine, wife's and son's), so time and money going to those. But I haven't given up on the '29. I won't. Hope outlasts frustration, and I dream that someday I will drive the truck to the local cruise night and show the world what happens when you don't give up.

OahuEli, 28 Ford PU, Ned Ludd and 3 others like this.
  26. Sometimes I have to force myself to move from the chair to the garage. Part of that is physical pain I hate to admit.

That said look at it this way in the world of racing you get mechanics and drivers. Drivers tear 'em up and mechanics fix 'em up. Not everyone is a mechanic and not everyone is as driver. There is not much that I cannot do with a car but if I really want to know how fast it is I put my Wife in the seat. She if a fair mechanic but she really shines when it comes to driving, I really don't enjoy driving that much. A match made in heaven. ;)

27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Welcome to the real world.
    Do you enjoy your job....Really enjoy your job?

A couple of generations ago my kin were all coal miners. Do you think they enjoyed going down in those holes? No, But they sure enjoyed getting a paycheck and living in a company house in the midst of the Depression.

It's not the work, it's the end result. Sometimes it is the destination not the journey.

I was a Fire Officer Paramedic. I have seen tragedy and heartbreak. Did I enjoy that that? No, but I did enjoy or a far better term is I had great satisfaction in using my skills to save what I could.

28. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I like working on my old shit, but I have gotten my self to a point all my cars are old shit so they require my constant attention,,,,this is not bragging about what I have but to show how we can get over our heads. The land speed roadster needs the rear lower control arms replaced, I had them made but they are sitting waiting. my 41 Ford truck I built 20 years ago and drove into the ground needs the trans changed, the wiring is 3/4 done and the tires are rotted, the chev ute needs the front suspension removed and fixed, the 31 Plymouth sedan is barely started, the panel truck is getting fixed to sell. And at 63 things take longer,, the hour brake job is now 4 hours.
    So what did I do so my wife can have a hot rod to drive and enjoy? I bought a running/driving 28 hot rod. The car was built to be sold by a local builder that does about four cars a year,, so I was not buying someones 'project' that had their 'name' all over it,,, is that 'Bob's old 28? We have made changes and improvements so it is now 'her' car,,, leaving me time to work on the rest of the stuff,,, did I mention the work on the vintage trailer we are taking to SpeedWeek?? I never learn,,, but at the end of the day, like this morning while driving the 59 panel, I am at the stop light and a guy shouts out the window "great truck! my uncle had one also"

29. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't work on mine since it is about 1000 miles away, so my O/T DD gets the love. Not much to do but I still get the same satisfaction of a job well done. The bad part is the '58 makes no progress.

30. 48stude

48stude

Just last night a fella asked me how my roadster was coming and I replied, it's like trying to eat an elephant - one bite at a time. It can be discouraging if you look at the whole of your project ( work you've done and work yet to be done)I just look what piece or part needs to be dealt with at that particular time and find gratification when I've solved that problem
    I find that the more challenging it is to find a solution , the more motivated I am. If I had to quit, I would miss the problem solving part of it. I'm hoping that's along way off. Bill

clunker and osage orange like this.