Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who else collects WW2 Militaria

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by bobbooth, Apr 24, 2019.

1. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

It occured to me that surely I am not alone in collecting WW2 militaria, I actually collect German Helmets . I started as a young teenager as my Uncle was a dispatch rider during the war and amassed quite a haul of military items that he continued to collect ever since. I inherited all of his collection back in the 70's but unfortuneatly I sold most of it to buy my first Motorbike (the the lure of going fast ) as soon as I was old enough to hit the road. Now after many years I have started collecting again.
    Any body else collect or have returned to something they collected as a youngster?

Ric Dean and Surfcityrocker like this.
  2. Interesting, I'm collecting, too. I've inherited quite the collection of WWII German and WWI Austrian Army stuff from my father, but sold many pieces because it took too much space. I only kept the best stuff.
    I am mainly collecting military photographs from 1914 to the 1950ies and medals.

bobbooth likes this.
  3. I have some US and Japanese (rifle, flag etc.) items that were my fathers. I started a collection of Military knives but it just became too expensive to continue.

4. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

I collect practice bombs, helmets, and bayonets. coolest one is a 100lbs practice bomb that had a hold to let change be dropped in. 14536_jpeg.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019

5. Here are some original WW1 pics from my collection - Austrian soldiers loading a bomb on an Austrian biplane. Second pic shows a car from the Austrian imperial-royal motor vehicle pool.

fotos (4).JPG fotos (2).JPG

6. oldengine

oldengine

Not really a collection, but these have been hanging in my father's closet all my life, he'll be 103 on April 29. 4=24 001.JPG

7. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I collect Japanese stuff. US WWII stuff also. I have been selling off some of my things to support this new hot rod hobby though.

8. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Great posts guys, obviously my passion is cars, but I still love this stuff and have done since I was a kid.....

9. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

103, well done indeed...

mgtstumpy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Great photos! I wonder if those bombs were "Armed" on the ground or in the air, or if they even had that capability. I also like those Zoomies on the aircraft.

11. ..........I can see why you like those Zoomies.:D;)

wraymen and Surfcityrocker like this.
  12. Sorry, no idea. But the bombs had detonators. I guess they were already "hot" when loaded.

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. plan9

plan9

I collect German Freikorps 1918-1923 badges, medals, documentation, photos, and some WW1 German/American. @Surfcityrocker nice photos, we dont see many Austrian aviation images.

My WW2 items have diminished, but I've got my uncles Army uniform and various small pieces from our different branches.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  14. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

I collect bayonets and other military stuff. Started with what my great uncle brought home from Gallipoli and France after WW1. Lived in the Solomons islands for a while and walked all the battlefields. The stuff, uxo,s as well, is lying everywhere just where it was left. Lived in Timor, PNG and Sudan and did battlefields there as well.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  15. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

I didn’t intend to collect any
    I have so much other stuff
    I have 1952 gmc duece and half
    Not really WW 2 but interesting old truck
    Have several guys that want it
    But they have no way to move it probably weights 10 to 13000 pounds
    I’m guessing
    Good luck to all with finding more WW2
    Items for your collections
    341A01BA-3ADF-42A5-9D0E-D7C30BDAD999.jpeg

Surfcityrocker and Kan Kustom like this.
  16. I do collect as a way to get to know my grandfather, Pfc. James Garrison. He passed away when I was just 3 years old. I think in our family he was more of a legend than just a man. God bless all veterans. Garrison%20(126).jpeg received_903334916344531.jpeg 20150624_182142.jpeg 20150307_124943.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Yes I have gone back to collecting some WWII militaria but I got rid of all German and Italin Helmits some with owners hand written ID & names inside. There were stories that go with that stuff and I had to get it out of the house.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  18. Not actively collecting, just "save" stuff if it's cheap and/or cool enough.
    Got my dads Swedish hat from his service 1946 to 1948.
    Some minor swedish stuff, and just recently bought a ww2 wermacht kraftstoff barreldrum from 42. Bad shape but to interesting to pass up. Pic when found.

Attached Files:

Ric Dean likes this.
  19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

oldengine: God bless your dad and all vets past and present.
    They are the glue that still hold our country together and from which
    our youth can learn so much including the meaning of patriotism and freedom.
    So much today seems taken for granted or forgotten.

20. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I wish my Dad had saved his old Navy things. He didn't think they were important to anyone and let my older cousins play with them until they were gone. I always had a fascination with WWII things because of my Dad and Uncles being in it. Probably the first thing I got didn't have much to do with WWII other than being inspired by it. I bought one of those plastic German helmets from Ed Roth. Later bought a real one. Then started buying Uniforms and collectables at garage sales of people selling the estates of their fathers. I am always amazed when their fathers items are more important to me than they are to them. Then an Army Ranger traded a M 38 A1Willys Jeep with replica mounted 50 cal. Machine gun and trailer for one of my hotrod bodies and chassis . That really got me going buying military thing's . I sold the Jeep after a couple years of enjoying it but still have quite a bit of the other stuff.

Surfcityrocker and Nicholas Coe like this.
  21. I completely agree! Some of that stuff has some serious bad vibes attached!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

My dad was in the Southwest Pacific in the 5th AF. MarineJunk.jpg . Have his photo album, uniform and some "scrounged" stuff from over the years.

23. Nice keepsakes. Helps the younger generations to remember just how tough it really was....

Nick

Ric Dean likes this.
  24. My family made this for me quite a few years ago. I will take some close ups when I get around to removing the glass to fix some of the things that came loose.
    IMG_2882.JPG

25. Very nice!

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  26. Fordors

Fordors

DSCN3409 (1).JPG DSCN3406 (1).JPG DSCN3408.JPG

Not exactly WWII militaria but it did come my way via the Second War, this is a Mauser 1914 pocket pistol known as a humpback because of the extra machining operation on the slide. My FIL's uncle brought it home from Germany and it was passed on to my FIL and in turn I became the owner. The humpbacks were first year of production with an estimate of around 2800 produced that year and there are variations I've seen on line with different barrel lengths. I also have the Army paperwork that authorized it coming to the US.
    I would say 80-90% of the bluing is there, a couple very minute rust flecks and beautiful walnut grips., it also has the Mauser holster and one magazine.

Attached Files:

Muttley, lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  27. ^That is in excellent shape! Very cool.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Some close ups from the earlier post.
    Some missions penned on the life vest.
    IMG_3003.JPG
    IMG_3004.JPG
    A little artwork
    IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3001.JPG Maps and photo
    IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3007.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3011.JPG
    IMG_3012.JPG

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  29. ^^^Fabulous Family memories^^^

OLSKOOL57 and wraymen like this.
  30. MY eldest son is a WWII reinactor. He has a 1944 WC dodge guns helmets uniforms ect ect. I have a WWII bomb trailer. It was with Pattons third army in Europe.

koolbeans and Ric Dean like this.