Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who cruised Van Nuys Bl in the 70's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Here's the movie you're reffering to... I bet you cruise "Fudruckers" in Laguna now...!;)

2. I don't think it was a "local" car. I remember that car only in town, and on the Blvd the week of the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals(?) at Devonshire Downs. I remember it backed into a driveway on the Blvd across from the Jack in the Box we hung out at, and a bunch of us crossed the street to look at it

3. dw123

dw123

Love this thread, any more for any more?

4. Strodder

Strodder

5. Strodder

Strodder

That yellow piece of shit was the Project X 57 Chevy. I love this movie.

6. Me and a buddy got to see some of the filming late one night by North Hollywood Park. Our girls worked graveyard together at a restaraunt. So, on hot summer nights we'd cruise the bikes after they went to work all night til sunrise. We always found something to do. One night, we see bright lights in a normally dark area. They were filming burnouts of the Project X. It was pretty fucking cool. We saw Danza, and Michelle Pheifer, and got to eat with all of them.:D

7. Strodder

Strodder

WOW, I wish I was there. :p

8. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

9. Chuck G.

Chuck G.

My friend's family was into cars. I went to my first cruise night at Kevin's with them some time in the mid '80s. That place was packed with cars. I was too young for cruising Van Nuys blvd but my dad worked near Van Nuys and Sherman Way. I remember the police closing the street on a Wednesday night and seeing a huge row of motorcycles parked in the Arbys lot. We wound up living near there in the late '80s and early '90s but all of the cruising was long gone by then.

10. Greasy64

Greasy64

DUDE! Get to work on a slide scanner somwhere. That is the kind of stuff that should be put in the Smithsonian. American history H.A.M.B. style! Post em here soon.

11. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

we cruised V/Nblvd you bet!!!look in my photos personals...the nite we installed the b/m hydrostick we covered 3blocks with tire smoke>>>if any one remembers this 30A ford please post as my son thinks i made up most of the stories>>>years later HE drove the car to kevins on Roscoe?&with my old ass as shotgun pulled a wheelie going past the lot there/he looked at me amazment on his face &i reached my foot on top his &we road it out down the street...backintheday....big willies brotherhood on terminal island was the nearest to real old time fun <<<

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I was at the jack n the box that night. crazy

13. Yeah I remember your mouth. Me and Greg Jacobsen would bring his V8 Vega and my '67 GTO Conv. out just to hear you mess with Steve Lyons. THAT was definately worth it. And God forbid if anybody should speak up or they would be fair game too. Well me and Greg just kept our mouths shut and laughed. Those were the days.
    I used to park across the street from Super Shops at this little pharmacy that is till there

14. How bout that? Small world isn't it?

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Ya, that was a big weekend for me and my buddy Tony. I was about 19 the car was a new build and we were 400 miles from home.

17. blkmerc

blkmerc
    from pa.

Groucho, Icruised the witchstand and the one by Hollywood race track in Inglewood. Us old guys can't remember a lot so the name escapes me. As soon as I figure how to download pics, I will. I drove a chopped, channeled Hemi powered 32 coupe. I will never forget the time I spent out there. Met some good people too, the Drifters are the most memorable for sure. Take care pics soon ,blkmerc.

18. codeblu

codeblu

Didn't cruise Van Nuys as I lived further north, we did cuise Montgomery in Modesto back then...

19. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

McHenry?

20. codeblu

codeblu

Sorry about that, had a senior moment, thanks for catching that. We used to drive down from Manteca on the weekends.

21. DogTownKustoms

DogTownKustoms

I'd give anything to have grown up back then when people cruised, ask anyone my age if they want to go cruise and they've got no idea what you're talking about.

22. zorch

zorch

Hell yeah I was there in the 60s--got out of High School in 69 (I was a JD, went to Taft, Canoga, Chatsworth and Chatsworth Continuation School), and the years before and after 69 had many a Wednesday nite on Van Nuys. We never had anything serious for speed, For a long time we had a '57 blue Ford coupe with the shackles flipped to raise the ass and the front springs torched to dump the nose down, pretty extreme rake to show that kool yellow painted rear end. I used to run my stock Indian Chief around there some in 71-72 but the cops seemed to hate it, I have no idea why. I got fix-it tickets out the ass for stuff like a dim tail light. Try to expain to a cop that it's 6 volt and this is all you get out of an 1156 or whatever the bulb number was. For a year or so my late friend Tim was running a coal grey '59 Imperial that had a heavy engine package and was otherwise a stripped model--no radio, steel dash (no padded), manual windows and seats. Ugly as barnyard sex but that thing would go like snot, especially in the top end. Very comfortable at over a ton. I had a friend at Chatsworth that ran the coolest 64 slammed Riviera ever--Watson-style panel paint, man, it was killer. Forget his name now, Omar or something. We had a bunch of rolling stock, all kinds of cars ... The first tattoo shop on Van Nuys opened in 72, Just north of Victory, run by Tennessee Dave James. He's still around.

It was teenage life in the SFV, man. Those pix Groucho hung here, classic 60s SFV lowrider. I have my 61 Galaxie boxtop done the same way, organ pipes in the back, script lettering on the rear side windows, all that. No Cragars, tho. It's a clear-cut style, SFV style. I'll dig out some pictures and find a scanner. I'm lacking the cool TV antenna that curves over his rear window, though.

Van Nuys was a great scene in its day.

23. Strodder

Strodder

Does anybody remember the bikes used to meet at June Ellens, then ride to Hollywood? The cops used to harass us all the time. We had to have our rear tires touching the curb when we parked in the street, or we would get a ticket.

24. metalman

metalman

Great thread, need more pics. I was there one night. First Cali trip as an adult (I was 20,ha ha) in 76, main prioroty was to cruise Van Nuys, did it in a rented Chrysler Cordoba. Sensory overload for a kid from NM. Took lots of pics, I'll have to see if I can find them. I remember a killer looking 27 T roadster parked on the sidewalk at the Super Shop,
    My other must do was to check out Mohulland Drive I had heard about for the road racy guys, did that late Friday night. I'm surprised I didn't kill myself or someone else that night trying that in that land barge of a Chrysler!

25. Don't recall the bikes. But, June Ellens Donuts/Hughs Market parking lot was meet place for Lowriders on Wednesday

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  26. Only cruised Van Nuys for one week in 1978. A buddy wanted me to go out to Van Nuys to help him move his g/f's shit to Colorado and drive a second car back, so I said "yeah, WTF!"...it wasn't like I was doing anything that Summer, anyway! So, we drove from Colorado, spent a week in Van Nuys and Malibu, and spent nearly every evening cruising Van Nuys from roughly Pacoima, and south of there. Had a friggin' blast! Lots of everthing on the street then - musclecars, rods, lo-riders, vans, and just plain junk.

27. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

How about SCOTS in Downey, across the street from the police station??? A&W in Hawthorne? Did you know Baker and Danny Axe? Owned the "Goody, Goody" bakers in lakewood/downey/bellflower and Performance Associates (One of the partners was Bob Denver (played Manard G. Crebs on Doby Gillis and Gilligan on Gilligan's Island)). God rest his soul. I bought my first race engine from Bob.

28. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Just got back from Viet Nam, S'67 that nite I ended up at June Ellen's in my dress blues and sporting my purple heart. Fist time I ever heard the words "Baby Killer" and they came out of the mouth of some wanna-be surfer's. I was still recovering from a claymore incident to my leg. Thanks to the bikers they beat them surfers senseless. It was also the first time I heard the words, "Welcome back brother". Thanks guys.

29. John "Gotcha" Goms. I'll be a sonofabitch. What the hell are you up to? It's been 30 years! I take it you just got electricity up there?:D?:D?

30. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Your talking about River Road in Burbank near Forest Lawn. The starting line was right by a Chevron gas station. The quickest cars out there were "The Bird" a '57 t-bird with a 427 Ford in it, Mike Tune crashed his blown Hemi powered '32 roadster there also, the body went one way and Mike went with the frame that he was saftey belted to and ended up in the wash (LA River). Was in the hospital for MONTHS, eventually, I guess, went to work for Car Craft Mag.