Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who cruised Van Nuys Bl in the 70's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Stan kinda went broke, then recovered. He now owns an auto accessory/tire store and titty bar next to it:D for real

2. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

I grew up at fulton and burbank, born in 1968.

Union Sub sold around 1990 and new owner ran it out of business- best Teryaki fries.
    D.A.M. Automotive (dad and me ) on the south west corner. The "dad" used to drive a hugger orange 65 el camino with a tire on the grill like a push car. They lived right south or the garage on Fulton so I remember seing that car all over all the time. Russian guy runs D.A.M. now.
    Alcala's auto body was on the south east corner until he sold out to the metro orange line project.
    Lumber City used to be on the north west corner and north across the tracks was a small yard called riverside lumber. Nieman-reeds lumber had a wholesale yard there until the orange line project was built. The train brought lumber down chandler until the bitter end, every thursday.
    I remember as a kid in the 70's getting stuck going westbound on Burbank at Van Nuys Blvd and watching the cars go by and the police everywhere, and my dad being pissed. Me and my brother always tried to get my dad to take us but he was like, no.

3. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Autocessories burned to the ground around 99-2000...Stan had ooodles of tires in one building that caught fire.......At that time though, it was no longer the speed shop it once was....Mostly tires and wheels, but little in speed parts....He was also selling cars too....Some pretty nice muscle cars.....He's always been a hustler...

4. I believe Stan got in a bit of "trouble" over the fire, the insurance refused to pay off, and Stan's finance's went into a bit of a tailspin. But, Stan, the survivor that he is, started selling used tires at the swap meets, saved his money, and now owns some sort of auto shop and topless bar at Sepulveda and Roscoe. Go Stan. Ever see his daughter? Gorgeous.

5. superjew

superjew
    from sylmar ca

groucho, I dont know about Stan, but the topless bar is owned by Bob & Marlyn for the last 25+ years. I know for a fact as I spent the 90's there. As for the tire shop it closed about 8 to 9 months ago.

6. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

sO YOUR A DIRTY OLD MAN HUH hARLAN?? tISK TISK! Great typing huh? Blew my chopper up on I-5 this morning. Guess I won't make it for June 10th, but I'm still gonna try!!

Attached Files:

7. Yes, and Bob built Bob's Classy Lady on Raymer(?), and I think my buddy Billy's got a kid with Bob's daughter......I did the titty bar circuit myself:D. I dated/juggled 3 girls at the same time from the Odd Ball (later named Valley Ball). But, I think after digging his way from poverty, Stan bought the titty bar. Unless, when he told me to come by for a free lap dance, he was gonna perform it himself? AAAAARGHH!!!!!!!!!:eek:

8. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

"Because I need a beer and it's titty squeezin' time"
    Frank Zappa

9. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Quit the BS, June 10th is tomorrow!!! Are you frickin guys ready for Van Nuys????????????? Jay Leno and vehicles at Rydell Chevrolet Van Nuys and Burbank the agency HAS GIVEN YOU A PLACE TO HANG!!!!!! Man if I didn't live so far away (1250 mi,) You guys are holding the future in your hands. Don't sluff it off. Make yur selves proud. GO, GO, GO!!!!! Reid, Miguel, elrobo, Groucho, Super Jew, Big Willie, BottleBob, Noto, GasserGarage, the list goes on and on these are names that have been gettin this stuff togeather, GET-ER-DONE!

10. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

I will be there, hoping that action is worth documenting for the magazine. See you there!

I will have free issues to give away too.

11. Street Racer

Street Racer
    from california

"WOW LET'S GO CRUISE VAN NUYS BLVD WEDNESDAY"...Thought I would neve say that again...after almost 25 years , it was still a blast!

12. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

I KNEW you would kid.

Attached Files:

13. tonys18t

tonys18t

wow, this is big

14. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Yea I'd say the car count must have been something like 250 or more, I sure would like to hear more about the actual street racing that took place, where they went, and if Big Willie was part of that scene or if he did it elsewhere.

Also heard there was always a hell of a long line at Bob's Big Boy.

15. tonys18t

tonys18t

Is this likely to be a regular thing now?
    I grew up in London and missed it the first time around,

16. 66 Olznut

66 Olznut
    from So Cal

I caught the tail end of the Van Nuys cruise nights, I was about 8 years old or so, my big brother would go down there in his modified '73 Datsun pick-up and race people. I'll be looking forward to get out there again. I woulda gone to the one last week but I had to drive up to Olympia, Wa to help a friend out.

17. solid

solid

cool van, and a cute chick(cute chick, i wasnt even born until dec. 72, now i feel weird). Great photos. This is a cool thread. You guys keep postin, and ill keep readin.

18. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Next time yur up towards Olympia, take exit 88, go west 12 miles to Oakville (AKA HICK TOWN) and just ask for the place with the hot rods/race cars and you'll be at GOT'CHA'S, I'll tell ya ALL about Van Nuys in the '70's. Yur welcome anytime, who's yur brother?

19. How about telling "US" about Van Nuys in the 70's?:confused:

20. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

I second that motion.....:D

21. 66 Olznut

66 Olznut
    from So Cal

HAHA, my friend's place is off exit 88, his house is behind that new rv trailer place!! Not many people know where Rochester is so I said Olympia. I remember a place in downtown Rochester that had a few old Mustangs out front. I bet you won't remember my brother, but you might remember this car that my buddy Spence owns, he was a Van Nuys Blvd junky pretty much. He's had this car since 1971. It's a '65 Olds Cutlass [​IMG]

22. skullhat

skullhat

i remember the fastang, and fantasia as it was later called. i sprayed the clear on it after john layed out all his candy stripes on it.
    i remember we finished up late night, and he came over ealry in the morning and rubed it out while it was still ringing wet. must of been some time in 74-75 iirc.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  23. 66GT350

66GT350

Didn't the owner work at the auto parts store on Woodman and Osborn?
    Thanks RC

24. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

The Ford tractor place across from the store? Whose your friend behind the RV place? I'll stop by and say "HI".

25. markk13

markk13

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to experience Van Nuys.... too young, too far away. But a good friend of mine was cruisin' that scene back in the 70's. He ran a 64 Sport Fury, rear wheel openings cut out and (i think) a 383 at the time. He still has the car, which now has a 528 Hemi. He was the guy (with the Sport Fury) in the drag race scene in Corvette Summer.

26. I ran Van Nuys Blvd off and on in the early 70's. Back then, I had a chopped '34 Ford fenderless coupe with a Chrysler Hemi. I never raced it from there.
    It blows my mind to see the black "Race?" jackets on this blog, I really remember the guys wearing them. What a trip.
    I liked to hang out after checking out the boulevard, down at the southern end, just past the Ventura Fwy overpass, in the parking lot at June Ellen's Doughnuts. A handfull of my friends had lifted lowriders and they'd "drop 'em" there.
    My coupe had such a heavy clutch, that holding the pedal down in bumper to bumper traffic wasn't fun. Lots of custom vans. Lots of carfulls of girls cruising.
    It was cool if you kept your head, many didn't, and that killed it.

27. you should come down to our next cruise

[​IMG]

28. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Can't believe I am missing out on this. My brother is babysitting my International truck in LA for me, I will have to tell him to go take it down there. Hey, does anyone remember Gino's Italian restaurant near Burbank and Van Nuys, or the Two Guys From Italy a couple blocks east of Van Nuys on Burbank? As a kid Gino's was a big treat and Two Guys was our favorite restaurant as kids. Both long gone now.

29. HMMM, I almost wanna say I remember Gina's....it was a Sub sandwhich joint on Burbank....1/2 block east of the Blvd on the North side

30. AMX DAve

AMX DAve
    from Reseda

I have 2 of the 26 RACE? jackets. one is like new..my exwifes. with the purple letters you may remember me
    I'm best known as AMX DAVE

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009