Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who can cast some trim bits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Hupmobile, Feb 27, 2009.

1. I have some body trim pieces I want to have duplicated. It seems these are exceedingly rare and sought after. I'd like to have perhaps a dozen or more pairs done. They were originally cast in some sort of pot metal but I wouldn't object to duplicates made of brass or even aluminum. They get chromed.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

And the name, description, application and photos of these rare pieces, please?

3. 1962 Cadillac Biarritz J trim

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You have the originals right? I may be able to help with this if you do.

5. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Are you looking to cast metal parts? There are a couple of options. Low volume sand casting is pretty inexpensive and the parts will have to be polished anyway before they are plated.
    Not sure of anyone local, but there are a few metal casters around town here in Detroit that we have used.

Mark

6. I have a pair of originals.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I'm not familiar with these pieces, how finely detailed are they, how big? Big stuff you can do in brass, I'm having some pieces made right now, they call the process "air set sand" casting, they turn out very nice.

If this is an emblem or something small and detailed, those castings might be too rough, they need finishing. For an emblem you could try pewter, a lot of repop emblems are made of pewter, they usually call them "low pressure castings" in the catalogs. They are soft but the castings are crisp and don't need so much polishing before plating.

Having worked at a chrome shop, I find aluminum castings to be much harder to plate. If weight isn't a factor and they're getting chromed, I'd always take brass over aluminum, but that's personal preference.

Post some pics of these things, maybe I can help.

8. caddytail.jpg Here's a pic I found and I outlined the part I want to duplicate.

9. Squablow

Squablow

Those would be tougher since they're long and skinny like that, but I still think they coudl be done with air set sand casting in brass. You'd want to fit each one to a quarter panel before having them plated, they might need tweaking but that's do-able.

10. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

From looking at the picture it seems as if you could make it out of sheet brass. Just careful, cutting, fitting ,and shaping the contour. Then have chromed.

11. skidsteer

skidsteer

Don't want to hijack this thread, but this was something I was wondering about, too. Any suggestions on getting a pair of these skirt emblems cast, if I only have one? (would need a mirror image for the other side) This is 9-1/4' long, 1/8" thick.

[​IMG]

12. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

today custom trim made like that is out of brass and is not cast. roughed into shape then hand sanded or DA'd then sent to chrome.

in any manner, not an easy peice to make. But definetly can be done.

I would research a high end rod shop in your area, that is known for making one off parts and consult with them.

If you where closer by i would tell you to come by since we have alot of success with custom trim.

Good luck

13. Squablow

Squablow

To make a mirror image of that you could use one of those 3D scanners like they were showing Jay Leno using, have someone scan it, reverse the image, then print it out in plastic and use that to have a casting made. I don't remember who it was, but someone on the HAMB had access to that setup and was making prototypes for people, that piece would be a snap to do I would think.

14. skidsteer

skidsteer

Thanks for the tips. Kail, my daughter is moving to San Jose this month, I may stop by when I go out to visit her. Squablow, I was thinking a plastic mold might be another way to go, thanks. 34Hupmobile, thanks for asking the question.

15. I'm kind of surprised no one on here does this for their livelyhood. I might try to make one from sheet brass but I'm certain I don't want to make 12 pairs that way.

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

17. skidsteer

skidsteer

Good suggestion, and I'm also considering a stylized version of the original emblem --- maybe a little longer, with the sails taller, and a smooth finish.

18. sawzall

sawzall

reversing that would be ALOT easier if the part were scanned into 3d..

theres a co in nE pa that does 3d printing.. printo3d.com

IF someone can scan it for you.. I could "flip" it with the software at y disposal..

personally

i just received samples from "quickparts.com" and I would bet that that piece you have there could be made of a plastic and plated.. and NO ONE.. would know the difference..

19. capdavid

capdavid
    BANNED

Use Ryan DeVries in Grand Rapids MI 616-453-8254. This guy knows his shit and he is top notch!!

20. skidsteer

skidsteer

I had been thinking of hard plastic, or even maybe cut out of stainless and polished. Will a plasma cutter cut stainless? I have only ever seen one other of these, so to be honest, if it was not a 100% perfect copy, only the 60,000 people on the HAMB will know, and I trust every last one of 'em to keep it to themselves.

21. Squablow

Squablow

A plasma cutter will cut stainless, but not to close-enough tolerance to make the fine details you have there, plus you'll have a ton of filing and sanding to do before you can polish it.

Better to have them cut on a water jet table or a laser table. Someone will have to make the pattern into a CAD drawing, but then they can just reverse the CAD image to make the one for the other side. You can stack material 3 or 4 high (depending on thickness) and have several cut at once. That would work and it'd be pretty straightforward.