Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who builds outside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indygasser, May 30, 2010.

1. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

[​IMG]
    I work outside but not by choice. I have a gravel driveway which made maneuvering the engine hoist tons of fun. I put plywood down but it still sucked. The engine hoist managed to get off of the plywood and let me tell ya those little steel wheels when loaded with 700 pounds worth of Chevy's cast iron goodness don't roll to well. With all this darned rain lately even a car port would be nice. At least I would have something to do when it is pouring out. I did some welding on my 53 Willys this last winter in 15 below weather. That was tons of fun (not).

[​IMG]

2. Damn! It's almost like me...If I didn't know better, I would've thought you lived here in Colorado. Been there on yankin' a motor with plywood on a gravel driveway...Ever notice how those wheels seem to develop a mind of their own? Even, better, drop that bolt that you don't have an extra of...and then try to find it...

3. Deuces

Deuces

I got a 2 car garage and no room to work in.. I wish I had more space. I do have a driveway I could work on.. It makes it easy to roll the cherry picker out and the engine stand. I'll probably start yankin' the engine out of my F-150 in August and replace it with a fresh long block.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Well in Socal we cheat a little since the weather is usually nice but it does rain here and the dew and moisture in the air can really rust things in a hurry. Even with 4 garages there still is not enough room to fit the car under a roof .We can fit all the parts in a garage but the main car has to stays outside. The advantage is there is nothing like real sun light to be able to see things. I feel for you guys with gravel driveways and real weather.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    [​IMG]

5. Raunchy

Raunchy

Some things I choose to do outside. But usually under the carport. I have lots of concrete and 2 shops but did my bodywork and painting outside because of all the mess didn't want it all over the ongoing projects. Outside when it's cool is OK. Sun is a killer though.

6. well...there's nothin' like the open air for a build...most...if not all have been outside...only had MY own shop for about three years...the 39...most likely will be a first shop build....

7. FlatheadsForever66

FlatheadsForever66
    from Arizona

I work out on the side of my house, in Arizona. Yeah its stupid hot. I sand and wire wheel outside but then assemble it all in the garage.
    <--------
    <--------

8. turney33

turney33
    from pasco,wa

I'm building at work after hours. I get to work inside, but after each session,she gets rolled back outside.

9. lets see... the 50 was at the gold king mine... got her running there heres what she looked like. (had the parts motor home as shelter and the "wood shed" to run for cover if a freak storm rolled in)
    [​IMG]then we tore the motor home apart...
    [​IMG]so we still had the wood shed for shelter... and a stripped motor home.
    [​IMG]now the car is in my new back yard.

10. conormulroney

conormulroney

I have to work fast. The driveway's too steep to jack anything up and the 9x12 shed is full of stuff. I work in the street in front of the house. Fortunately my neighbors love me and my cars.

11. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I work out side.....and at night.Grab the step ladders and lights.The car is parked on rocks and gravel-so I have some old linoleum flooring Ive cut into 4ftx6ft sheets.Helps slide out in and out from under the car.Hot days suck.Spiders suck.Masquitos actually do suck lol.I will be out there regardless.Rain is the other thing that Will hold me back[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  12. bdr1

bdr1

4 cars....... 1 car garage......

There is nothing like laying in a Georgia driveway at 2AM while snakes, bugs, and armadillos scurry by.

[​IMG]

this is what you encounter while wrenching outside here (jumped out of my BelAir last week)

[​IMG]

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

For years i had no garage at all, or too small to fit the car.
    Worked on the street (i mean public roads) outside the house for sometime too, that was hilarious to talk w/ the neighbours and argue w/ the law (last part not so much :D)
    Im moving now to a new house that hopefuly will be my home for good, and have a 2 car garage where i can set up shop w/ all my stuff, which is quite a lot, that was preiously spread on the yard, living room, entrance, kitchen, well you see the picture i guess.
    I consider my self fortunate enuff now.
    Guys w/ big ass barns or big 3 or 4 car garages are way fortunate.

14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

On edit to my post.....one advantage of working outside.......I have tried to burn my garage/shop down TWO times........both times from welding. YIKES....:eek:

15. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Well, I think it can be said we are all "Get er Done" Regardless of the conditions kind of guys. But, how can we really express our feelings to our friends who have nice new garages; and yet they whine about not getting anything done because it's too cold. Or perhaps the tv reception in their garage is not good enough. Do you see where I'm going with this? Pussies.

16. indygasser

indygasser

to cold here to be outside -4