Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who builds outside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indygasser, May 30, 2010.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Working outside blows. I'v been waiting a week to get back at my car due to rain.

2. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

yes.. and it sucks.. but got to do what you got to do.. did I mention it sucks.. mosquitos suck.. tics suck.. the damn ginny hens and hornets suckthe neighbors dog that likes to sneak up while Im working on the car to piss on the tire sucks to. yes I love working outside

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

my welding shop has gravel for a floor and a pine tree for a roof and the sun for lighting

4. 55chevr

55chevr

I like to work outside whenever I can ... especially body work ... keeps the dust out of the garage ...

5. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

I have to work outside due to the height of my van, it won't fit in the garage. I don't mind being outdoors but dragging tools in and out is a pain.

6. Payaso

Payaso

All outside...She sits outside...get's wrenched on outside...Got a garage that's well kept, tools and so on...Zero junk, but that's where the Triumph and HD reside...First come, First serve.

Winter is the worst...the rest of the year is fine...

I had to pull the radiator this past winter to have the lower collar repaired. It was 18 degrees outside the morning I went out to fix'er...everything was rock solid-frozen (It helps that I cover the motor with two heavy Army wool blankets every night during the winter) tore her apart, took the rad in, fixed it...and when I got home to install it...it was 12 degrees outside. Bolted her back up...new 50/50...she fired right up. All winter parked in the driveway...not one morning did she mess with me. We had a few single digit mornings...two pumps and fired right up. Proper maint. I say. Got a space heater to warm up my fingers and my wife keeps a hot pot of coffee on stand-by the whole time. The 'Heavy' is no longer a daily driver now, I was running her into the ground 100 miles a day to commute, sometimes more...she was getting tired...and so was my wallet from the 9mpg. She still sits outside in the driveway no matter what, but get's a little more rest between commutes with my new commuter car (39mpg). Now the gas savings go right into the 'Heavy' for good reasons!!

Got to do, what ya' got to do!!

MONDO

7. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Outside 365, but who's complaining?

8. NOLUCK13

NOLUCK13

I have to work outside, here in the Hill Country it gets as hot as the sun!

9. indygasser

indygasser

it's ok outside ,people drive by and stop talk sorta cool,started a social group OUTSIDERS!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

All of you that work totally outside sure have my respect!!!
    You are true hot rod folks!!!
    For years, when I was farming, I had no shop, or even a level place to work. Laying under a combine or tractor during crappy weather in the dirt, or gravel when it had to be repaired sucked, but had to get the job done.
    Now I really enjoy me garage/shop.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  11. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Grand Marshall of my own parade. People are always cruising my alley to see what I am working on. Neighbor says he knows how cold it is by the amount of clothing I'm wearing. I am getting damn tired of all the rain though. Good thing I'm a bachelor. Most wives probably wouldn't find a cutting torch and mig welder welcome additions to their living rooms.

12. Been doing it for a long time. granted inside is cool but what ya gonna do?

Once I built/swaped an engine in a '54 F100 in the dead of winter under a tree in front of the house. Had to build mounts etc. Took me about a week all total. Laying on the snow, fighting the wind. Came down with pnumonia before all was said and done but the engine got into its spot and the ol truck motored happy ever after.

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

funny you should ask . It reminds me of something else...in & out .

14. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Nothing quite like sandblasting in a snow storm. This one was started in the fall and done the following fall mostly all outside.

Attached Files:

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

<<------ Built this outside. Now I have a 2 car carport. Still work outside.

16. Never sand blasted in the snow but I did wetsand in the rain once. Worked out pretty good.

17. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I forgot people work indoors. I'm going uptown, work on pavement not dirt now. Also getting a cover for shade.

I don't miss the dirt!

My tools, parts, everything is outside, and its a 45-90 min drive to the shop, depending on traffic. You get used to anything.

18. indygasser

indygasser

we ave a big shade tree an a gravel drive! 24x32 pole barn to hot in the summer, plus no power yet!in the barn that is lol later B.

19. Shagrat

Shagrat

Unfortunately, I am in this club. Hope to have a shop by this time next year. Until then, it's under the shade tree!
    [​IMG]

20. aldixie

aldixie

I'm doing my frame outside at the moment. Its 96 degrees with a 105 heat index, come in for a couple of hours waiting for it to cool off.

21. 10secondA

10secondA

yeah i either get to work in the gravel with no shade outside or inside my oven of an old barn with plywood floors that are more like a trampoline because of all the damn squirrel tunnels under them, so most of the time its outside

22. I'm kind of this way too. I have a very large garage. I machine inside, but most all grinding, body work and the such is done in the AZ sun. :D

23. jasone

jasone

Impressed that so many folks are doing the outside thing. Currently living at my parent's spread (I went back to college)...me, my wife and my two kids, believe it or not, it's a great arrangement. Except for wrenching, sort of. We have a killer garage with...exercise equipment and an empty,very large craftsmen roller (my dad's) inside. I have been banished to the back yard and with the help of a large slab of concrete, a couple of EZ ups and a nice shed that I have commandered, my ride gets the attention it needs. It's not too bad, we got us a "cement pond" and when I feel like I am about to spontaneously combust, I jump in.

24. indygasser

indygasser

That's cool jump in an get cooled off! I have to go down the road [gravel] to the creek an wolla around a little,yes I'm a hick!!!

25. 10secondA

10secondA

man some days i feel like i would kill for a slab of concrete, cherry pickers dont roll well on gravel

26. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I've been outside for the better part fo the last year. built a chassis jig on my trailer on thanksgiving day and pretty much did the chassis fab there. I like working outside, but much prefer to store them inside between work sessions. moving into a new place as we speak. a whopping 1 car bay.

27. indygasser

indygasser

for the p.m. crew

28. Rev. Whitewall

Rev. Whitewall

I spend half my time on gravel. I'll use the shop floor if i have to be underneath the truck. Get out in the open air and enjoy the sun. Especially for body work. I like using the natural light for block sanding.

29. I have a 40 x 80 workshop but like doing my welding outside as the lighting in the garage is really pathetic.

30. Deuces

Deuces

That dog must love you... :D