Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who belongs to this Bugatti (or Riley)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Aug 3, 2009.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found this picture somewhere here on the HAMB and for the life of me cannot find it again. I was thinking this car belonged to a HAMBer on the otherside of the pond. Sorry if I am mistaken.

[​IMG]

The reason I'm looking for this person is to find out what color this car started out as. I can't seem to find early 30's Bugatti color charts/codes anywhere and would like to find out about this one.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. Was just thinking this was a HAMBer so I figured the HAMB might be a good place to find him. HA!

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BTTT for the afternoon

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well...first guess is that it is a Riley, not a Bug.

then just to be contrary, it is probably painted battleship grey or something along those lines. (think grey with lots of blue).

4. Weasel

Weasel

What color are you looking for - French blue? Most Bugattis were painted that color. If so I may be able to help.

5. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Based on the shape of the grille shell, I think it's a Bug. I could be wrong though. Looks like it's a type 37? Late 20's?? I don't know these cars nearly enough to defend that theory though. I was thinking Rileys had a little more curve to them.

Naw, that's a little too blue for me. I'm looking for this gray-ish color that's on this. I'm asking about this one specifically because I've never seen this color on any of these cars and am thinking of using it.

Thanks Megan! I've tried a few others too. Pretty tough to find them. Hopefully someone will know the car above and come forward, at least. I know it's a long shot though.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Isn't there a guy from like Tennessee that is building a boat tail and uses this car for reference? He might know exactly what car that is.

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Another pic of it...

I love that color too...

2621285919_f1f8cb39d5_b.jpg

9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bug's (of all shapes and sizes) have curves...that ones is flatter than...well, I will leave that to your imagination.

reference:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  10. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I'm thinking the Riley theory (or something british) holds more water. The Bugs had a very curved top to the radiator grill and Rileys were a more squared off design like this car seems to have. There looks to be a lot of british cars in the background too...... I love the look of that thing though...

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: white 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: white 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; BORDER-TOP: white 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: white 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" id=lightboxholder vAlign=center colSpan=2 align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR class=lightboxtextrow><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; COLOR: white; PADDING-TOP: 4px" class=smallfont>2621285919_f1f8cb39d5_b.jpg (1 of 1)</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; COLOR: white; PADDING-TOP: 4px" class=smallfont>08-03-2009 12:59 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Yep! That's the one right there!! Whatever the hell it is... :rolleyes: Need more info!

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn, that black one looks pretty slick too. Put black in your options scooter, we might be missing the most obvious answer.

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

Didn't Flipper Post those pics, in his Roofus build Thread?

P/M him to ask where he got them...

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

I believe Hazet is a German brand of handtools...

15. They are in the thread for sure, don't remember who posted them.

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm.... so someone tell me what this car is then. The tail sure looks like a Bugatti. I agree the grille doesn't look like it though. Again, I'm no pro with these. If I can find out the make then maybe I can cross-reference the color. Thanks guys!

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! I'll check into it!

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NO!!! ;):D LOL! Oooookay....

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, the clue I got from Flipper was that those pictures are from an event in Nuremberg. I didn't come up with much in a Google search for an event that would have these cars. Anyone know more?? Do any of you vintage race guys have a clue what this car is?? Even a make would be a step in the right direction.

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Scooter,

I wouldn't bet the farm on simply because that's a Riley, Salmson, or perhaps some bastard Sunbeam that the colour is a stock one! Many of the prewar ''teabag'' vehicles were painted in various drab shades of bleus and greens. Some of the blacks also have various casts of bleu and drab browns. Your tryin' to pull an idea of a colour from a photo off a puter???
    Often, in the lite of day, a colour won't look anything like a photo. All colour choices are best made in natural lite, and never from a photo!
    Do you know how different reds there are going by the name of "Ferrari Red"? I do, somewere between a shitload and wow!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

23. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

vintage nuerburgring 2008

That image came off of flickr.

Scott, your gonna flip.

LOL
    Enjoy.

N

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The tail certainly says Bugatti, but the grille... I dunno.

The Nurburgring is not in Nuremberg, FYI. Different parts of the country. The correct spelling of Nurburgring has an umlaut over the first U, but I dunno how to type that.

25. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah man! I know! I agree! Gotta' start somewhere though, right? If you have anything in your color charts layin' around the shop that you might be able to suggest, let me know man! Maybe bring your ideas to BREAKFAST one morning! ;):D

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahhhhh Nate.... made love when I see you! :D

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a front view of the black one, which appears to be the same model:

[​IMG]

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

Is this the gray one?

2621976950_a8c1686aef_b.jpg

30. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

They are Rally NCPs from France.

Sure, one of them could have started out as "French Blue."

Let us just say that people overseas are far better at faking patina (as well as many other things auto-related...) than people elsewhere.

Cris

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009