Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who are the most important builders these days?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stoner, Jan 4, 2006.

1. I just toured the Moal Coachbuilders shop today with SAE. Awesome workmanship. I'll try to post photos in a separate thread.

2. twochops

twochops

Paul Bragg gets my vote for both Rods and kustoms----------

TWOCHOPS

Attached Files:

3. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Rick Dore gets my vote. I love all of the customs that he has done. Especially his 1934 and 1936 Fords. He has the EXACT same tastes in cars that I do, it's insane. I'll be thinking of building a car, I'll have the design in my head and everything, only to find out he has built the exact same car I was thinking of. :D

Attached Files:

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Rick Flake is one of the best.

5. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Ted Hochin out of Indiana is one hell of a builder. He is the one who put together the chopped 46 Chevy pickup cab with the 37 Terraplane grill that was at the Detroit Autorama 2005. He just finished another pickup that was at World of Wheels Indianopolis a couple of months ago. The little ride that had the 57 Chevy hood mounted backwards for the roof.

6. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Man thats some good shit. To here my name with those guys. Thanks John.Scott

7. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

I saw this old thread and wanted to see how things have changed over the last couple of years. I know a guy Dave Landeck that quietly helps others build their dreams. He's from Colorado but built cars in Kansas and Indy for awhile.

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

My dad ,me , and Pat Pryor Thats my list The other guys are overated with to much fame.........

9. ScottV

ScottV

To me the most important builders today are the guys doing in their home shops on the cheap. Especially the younger guys, I know of at least 2 guys locally in their early 20's putting something together in the garage. One of them has no prior experience and little outside help/influence. He has chosen to do what he wants and what "feels right".

And as far as professionals go for me;

Jimmy Shine, The Kennedy Brothers, Troy Ladd ...

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'd have to say the HAMBers. The quality of a lot of the builds on here rate up there with the big money pros imho. Plus they share with us how they did it, obstacles overcome etc. You can't ask for more.

11. oj

oj

I'm with ScottV, theres so much talent in these garages behind thier houses that it is incredible. ElPolacko and ScooterMcRad are excellant examples of some quiet folks around here that are amazing.
    As far as work i'd have to vote for the Hambr from Texas (can't think of his name) that has a restorod 'a' pickup for his avatar and a religeous message as his signature. He gets it right, a couple weeks ago he showed a roadster he just finished and it is just classic. He also did a tech piece on how to widen spoke wheels, an excellant piece, very detailed, and written in a humble way - not a brag article. For those reasons i respect him above others and hope somebody here will supply a name.

12. The little guy, the guy who struggles along with little resources who shows up at events learning, making friends , helping others, the unbeknownst to the big boys, the guy who is humble in his own build in is own lil garage or shed who is lucky to keep his family going but still hangs on to his dream. That is the who's who in my book. I was always for the lil guy, the guy who wants to fit in, those who have the passion and not the resources. ! Don't ever gorget the lil guy:cool::)

13. dirty4

dirty4

WHAT!....no Chip Foose???????

14. The HAMBs own BRIAN BASS

15. clockwork31

clockwork31

X2 on this one, a LOT of nice work here!

16. ScottV

ScottV

FooSE is more of a designer than a builder !!!

17. Wow 7 pages of hero worship on the HAMB. Looked at page one, and skipped to 7.
    I think the best builders are the guys on here, who surprise. Pop open a thread and Surprise, surprise, surprise..... Some really nice stuff. Comin out of the little guys garage. Those are my hero's.
    If it were not for the talented pro's, some RUB's would have to be driving their wives Camaro. I'm happy for them to be able to translate talent into a job.
    But, try your best, learn from the rest, and build away.....

18. sololobo

sololobo

What impressive lists. Today we have more great builders and talents that the list could go on for days. But I salute you all and especially the guys in small garages at home turning out stellar projects and hurtling the sport forward one build at a time. My utmost respect, I have been lucky enough to be around a couple of builds and have fast gained a reputation as one of the best tool handers around, or the guy that go for parts or refreshments. Ha, try to equal that!!~sololobo~

19. ronk16

ronk16

The guy who works 50 hours a week and gets paid nothing to build the car of his or her dreams..........those are the best builders and always will be!!!!!!!!

20. 37Nash

37Nash
    from East coast

Top 3 builds I drooled the most that I can remember for the last couple of years (in no particular order)

2004: Littleman http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104568
    ....... the amount of details, time and quality is just amazing

2008: Salt Flats http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253372
    ....... all handmade aluminum body, enough said

2011: Jimmy Hervatin http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549162
    ....... that chassis is bitchin to say the least

I'll check around to see if I didn't miss anything (most likely I just don't remember right now)

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Adam's Chop Shop in Oakland Park, FL. Adam K. is a true craftsman dedicated to cutting edge innovation from "mild to wild" and the highest quality. See for yourself. http://www.adamschopshop.com/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  22. All three are awesome builds by guys with more talent than I can ever imagine possesing. Have to add Brian Bass to the list. His video series adding the 33/34 winshield to the Wade coupe was impressive.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531475

23. csclassics

csclassics

ME....hahahahahahahaha......but seriously
    one of my favorite builders who consistantly impresses me is Rick Dore.

24. davis574ord

davis574ord

How about mike smith and the crew at california hot rods in sonora california? One of the best in my book!

25. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

On here:
    Scootermcrad
    Metalshapes
    El Polacko
    Bass
    Grits
    Plowboy
    Nads

These are just a few of the guys, yes there are many many more, that do high quality hot rod construction art on here, have the patience to put up with our sometimes annoying comments and take time from their busy lives to show us art in motion. Thank you gentlemen for providing inspiration.

26. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

The Builder is only as good as his customers.

27. 37Nash

37Nash
    from East coast

HOLY SHIZNIT, HOW DID I MISS THAT THREAD?!? Thanks man!

now that I think of it, we should really ask Ryan for a build archive.

Francisco: Couldn't have said it any better!

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The folks who choose to hire everything out are missing the essence of traditional cars. These really hi tech super finished rides, while beautiful, are kind of a contradiction in terms if you call em hot rods.:)

29. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

The ones that can stay in bizness for more than a year and dont get BG head a screw people in 40 yrs watched lots come and go theres lots of good old ones just sittin at home in there garage wittlin away not gettin all the tv coverage ....but stars are stars

30. How about Cactus1 and Von Rigg Fink, how 'bout "The Fidgiter", Fly Fisher and "Hot Turkey"

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011