Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whitewall help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cabriolethiboy, Jul 10, 2012.

1. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I have been driving this car for over 27 years and now I am thinking about changing it slightly with different tires and wheels. I have a couple combinations in mind; blue steel wheels/ whitewalls, blue steel wheels/ blackwalls, black steel wheels/ blackwalls. I am kind of out of the loop with whitewalls because I have always ran blackwalls. Who makes 145x15 radial whitewalls? Can anyone photoshop it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I like what you have, but I also like what you're considering, all the ways!
    Point being that, "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.". The choice is yours.As for whitewalls, Coker and/or Diamondback are most likely to have what you want.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Wide whitewalls typically don't come in low profile sizes like the tires you're currently running. My guess is that you'll need to raise your suspension to fit a period-sized wide whitewall under your fenders.

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The low profiles are available from Diamondback. So taste preferences dictate here.
    Dave

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that car does not need whitewalls of any kind.

6. Model T1

Model T1

I am a whitewall kind of guy. But I agree. This car looks great as it sits. Hopefully someone will photoshop whites on it for you. I can see changing after so many years. Maybe just a different type wheel. It'll look good with r without white walls or any other wheels/tires except those oversized wild modern wheels.

7. Weasel

Weasel

Monochrome treatment, shaved door handles and whitewalls on steelies? Kind of a contradiction in terms. Sorry but trying to jump onto a traditional bandwagon with a non traditional base doesn't hack it for me....

8. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Yea, I built it back in the 80's when I liked that stuff. There are things I would do different now. All of the monochrome stuff is off of now and it has rubber boards.
    I always warn guys not to get too radical when building your car and do something that you will be sorry for later. Think about those radical chops, hidden door hinges, and one of the worst, in my opinion, suiside doors. That stuff is hard to undo.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I usually don't post on '32 threads cuz quite simply I don't dig 'em, but I opened this thread cuz the headline was "Whitewall help"...so, IMHO, all that ride needs is a couple of chrome bumpers, a chromed grille insert, a chromed windshield surround and four painted steel wheels with some sort of hubcaps (and/or trim rings)... then you can put wide whites on it...but please lose the lo-profiles...

R-

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

I think it would look great with whitewalls and different wheels, but I agree with those who say get a photoshop done first. (Look for "the photoshop thread to end all photoshop threads" and post the same photo.)
    You'll be able to see what it'll look like and I think the whites will really pop with that blue paint.

11. Gromit

Gromit

I like steels in a contrasting colour with blacl or white walls. Please add some chrome though. it's verging on Boyd and that makes me sad.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think white walls would look "goofy" on your beautiful hot rod. Stay with black.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no to whitewalls. how about wire wheels? black with chrome spokes? see some at thewheelsmith.net

14. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Ok here's what I'd do. I'd pull from the colors on the side, the orange or yellow steelies. Add trim ring and baby moon. Do a 145R15 (1 3/4" WW) or 165R15 (2 1/4" WW) in the front and a 225/75R15 (2 3/4") or 235/75R15 (3") on the rear. Both Diamondback tires. It would look great. If your uncomfortable with that big of a whitewall in the back then you can have them make it smaller. You can even keep the 70 or 60 series tire on it and change it to a whitewall.

You don't want the rims to match the body. You've got too much blue on it already. But pulling from those side colors will make the body stand out. It does no good to put black smooties on it, I'm not a big fan of the black smoothie thing unless your running a full hubcap. A wire old man told me one day, "whitewalls are supposed to complement the paint not overwhelm it."

A lot of guys here on the west coast are changing up the rims/tires and making what was done in the 80's look popular today.

This is just my opinion, from someone who works in wheels and tires all day. Oh and a female opinion.

15. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Wheel/tires perfect as is, body add some chome here & there - too much blue for today.

16. Just my 2 bits worth here ,
    If you're going to run a more traditional style wheel/tire combo on that car you also need to do the following.
    Paint the grill insert , Chrome the windshield surround, Run a front Bumper , Ideally some exterior door handles too and the Sign writing on the rear side panels either needs to go or be replaced with a more traditional style also .
    You said you've already 'fixed' the running boards right?
    Make these changes and you'll get away with running wide whites or black walls .

Again , just my humble opinion

17. It will take some work to make a traditional rod out of that, but not as much as starting with a rusty hulk! 30 years ago did you ever imagine you'd miss the hinges and door handles?

18. I've always liked the car,,ever since the first time I saw it in Knoxville.

Bumper's & door handles sure would look good,,painted steelies a contrasting color,,please no black wheels,,it's turning into the new red!:D HRP

19. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

whitewalls are way overdone these days. Not all cars back in the day had whitewalls but people seem to think that every rod and custom these days should have them. Some cars just look better with black walls.

20. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Coker tire has 165R15 in wide whitewall radials. They have BF Goodrich wide white radials from 165R15 all the way up to 285/70R15.

21. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

2 1/2 inch white walls,red steel wheels,olds flippers or real lancers:D

22. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

When I originally built the car I drilled the bolt pattern for 5" bolt circle, because I was going to run 53 Buick Skylark wires. I still have them. I might paint them up and run'em for while. Probably with blackwall though.

23. atomickustom

atomickustom

I think that would probably look really sharp, as long as the wheels were painted silver or a contrasting color (creme? tan?) and not blue.
    Post photos when you make the swap!

24. I think the Buick Skylark wires would look great. HRP