Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whitedevil coupe trans help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteDevil, Oct 1, 2009.

1. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Hey guys I know some of you have seen my build thread for my 31. I need some help on transmissions for my project. Im trying to decide between a Th350 and a T5 or something close. I know everything thats related to installing the auto. But if I go stick shift whats the best way to install a clutch assembly. I know I will need trans,shifter,bellhousing etc and whatever is related. But my big question is what does it take to get a stick in my coupe. Whats the best way to install etc. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. skunx1964

skunx1964

from what ive gathered most of the work is getting the clutch pedal linkage sorted out. more work, but more fun. youll prolly end up fabbing most of it yourself, since its not an "off the shelf" combo(32 frame, flatty, and old 3 speed, as an example)

3. F&J

F&J

t5 or th350 for choices; I would do the t5 mainly because of the OD.

Chevy stuff is so easy to find as far as bell, flywheel etc.

hyd cluch would be my choice if you are not handy will making linkages

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Been both routes over many HotRod projects myself, but I'll tell you that going with the Turbo 350 will be really nice in the long run....not to mention allot less headaches.

5. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

i 2nd that brother.....i like my turbo 350..:D more friendly in town too..

6. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

So a couple for th350's and a couple for T5 or stick....more input! more input!!!

7. squirrel

squirrel

If you go with a TH350, you might want to make the trans crossmember in a way that you can relocate it back a few inches easily...in case you decide later to put in an overdrive automatic.

I didn't read thru your build thread, do you have the brake pedal set up yet?

8. skunx1964

skunx1964

ok, first off, for a car like that, id use a stick. whenever i get around to buildin one, thats what im doin. BUT, youve got a deadline yer workin for, and the th350 will be one less headache in the plan for billetproof...... i know, doesnt really help, but thats my 2 cents

9. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Thanks guys for the input ill have to see what comes up....

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

One more thing... all you have to do is sit through heavy traffic a few times with a stick-car, and you wish that you had went with the T-350.

Been there, done that.

11. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

I know theres alot of guys out there running both setups....lets here some more!

12. I hate automatics! They are a necessary evil in a lot of cases, though.

13. 200r4 or 700r4 for automatic. t5 for stick with hyd clutch setup is the way to go or cable setup. they both work smooth. i got bum knee so auto is my choice. cool build!

14. vegas

vegas

I vote T5! I used a Willwood hydraulic master cylinder with a Mcleod slave..if I would have had more room on the inside of the frame rail, I would have used a Pete and Jake's combination brake/clutch pedal setup with both reservoirs under the floor. I ended up just having to build my floor around the master cylinder by recessing it into the toe board, but it will look good in the end. These aren't the best pics, but its all I have right now. Also, a manual trans is smaller, allowing you a smaller trans tunnel and more room if it is a channeled car! :D

Attached Files:

15. vegas

vegas

By the way, its funny to see that we were both into Fox Mustangs before getting A coupes! Awesome looking car, BTW!!
    -Corey

16. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

All the big studs start with fox mustangs......JK! You would be suprized how many guys have said that they built and raced foxes first... bunches

17. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Real hot rods have 3 pedals.

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

Bull-Shit Craig ...... my Coupe has a 9" torque converter.
    You never bee able to shift as quick as my Turbo 400 ;)

[​IMG]

19. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

sounds like a race to me, and you''ll see how fast I can shift.

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Cool :rolleyes:

Only 20 days till the Billetproof Drags, and I'll be there with it....I'll look for you in the staging lanes :)

21. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

you know my car will not be ready. billetproof 2010, It will give you a chance to make your car faster.

22. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS