Register now to get rid of these ads!

White Wall tires cleaning ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Yes I did locate my Karmann Ghia and it is in Japan since 1986 I am trying to have someone there locate it and see if the owner wants to sell it and I will make arangements to have it shipped back to Phoenix Az.

Thanks
    Frenchy

2. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thank You to everyone who help out on this subject. I have tried the simple green and it works well at least I have many more option.

Thanks Again
    Frenchy

3. Don't blame Coker. They explain in paperwork you receive with your tires that tires should be stored in such a way as to prevent blackwalls from touching whitewalls. DB also warns of it. I always bag tires separately. Maybe some of the methods of "painting" whitewalls posted on the HAMB might work to cover the stains.

4. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

I have always used Westley's since I was a kid......That's what we always used and I still do with a bristle brush....also works well on cleaning the back too.

5. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also use Simple Green. Works great!

-Jeremy

6. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

I've used both Westleys and Simple Green.....SG is much easier to use and left em much nicer IMHO !!

7. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I've used Wesley's for years and years, but the stuff you get now doesn't seem to work nearly as well as it used to work. Was it reformulated?

8. Road Runner

Road Runner

When the tires and whitewalls are new, just use a rag or sponge with your preferred cleaner.
    Westley's works and is safe for the rubber and doesn't dry it out too much.

The finest steelwool and even soft bristles will roughen the fresh smooth rubber ever so slightly and make them go dirty quicker and harder to clean each time.

Once the new smooth rubber surface starts to get scratched or rough, you can never get it smooth like new again. Rubber can't be polished.

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

10. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I use "Crazy Clean" by Sprayway. Spray on, wipe off. Safe enough to use on painted walls but it pulls the dirt,smudges & stains right off of white walls.

Attached Files:

11. meteor

meteor

Last fall (2011) I started using westley's bleche-wite on my BFG silvertown wide whites, they looked great so I've been using it exclusively since. My sidewalls started showing fine cracking and it's gotten worse over the course of this summer, now they look kind of grey. I spoke with Coker and they said Westley's Bleche-wite will dry out your tires.

WARNING: WESTLEY'S BLECHE-WITE (black Magic brand) WILL DRY OUT YOUR TIRES!

My vote is for Spray Nine. My wide whites were glowing white for 3 years using spray nine and now they look like shit after a year of using Bleche-wite. That's $1000 in ruined white walls.

12. terry48435

terry48435

Fast orange hand cleaner is cheap and worked great on the whitewalls on my Harley.

13. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

I'm tired of saying it so this will be the last time: use Simple Green straight from the bottle and some #1 steel wool, as needed. After the whitewalls are clean, rinse the whole tire with clear water; Simple Green leaves a little bit of a sticky film which water will take right off.

14. 220

from so cal

to get them white . lacquer thinner then a coast of dressing

15. Graystoke

Graystoke

Use baking soda to clean whitewall tires. Make a paste of 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup water.

<li class="step "> Apply the paste on the whitewall of the tire with a stiff brush.

<li class="step "> Leave this paste on the tire for a few minutes.

<li class="step "> Scrub with a stiff brush and rinse with clean water.

16. Since my post I found out that Magic erraser is the best so far. It looks like a white sponge you wet it down and wipe your tires and use another wet towel to go over it and dry no more yellow look.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

17. JasonK

JasonK

Westley and a scotch bright. My WWW on my bike were always clean and took maybe 1 minute per tire.

18. ONE8SEVEN

ONE8SEVEN

sos pads, $2, and work better than everything else

19. kscarguy

kscarguy

Westleys Bleech white and a pressure washer.

20. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

I use Westleys but i perfer simple green it works best when you use warm to hot water
    with it ....
    I'll have to check out Magic erraser

21. 220 wet/dry?

Haven't tried it but its one of the recommendations from diamond back

22. ONE8SEVEN

ONE8SEVEN

magic eraser falls apart too easy, try an sos pad u wont regret it

23. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

Mr Clean Magic Erasers are by far the best easiest and cheapest. They don't Smell up your hands and are not hard on the tire. Cut the sponges into 1/3's and use with water. At first mine were falling apart, until I eased up on them.

24. i clean the tires on a few of my vintage bicycles time to time and im always experimenting, right now i use simple green with WD-40 to shine them up, gives them a good matte shine that lasts a pretty good while, even with the riding i do. is that bad for the tire? if so please let me know.

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

The wife cleaned up a 100 year old grave stone with Westleys tough stuff.

26. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

westleys for sure. just hold your nose

27. skeeterc

skeeterc
    from Wisconsin

i clean a LOT of cars for a friend of mine and most have white walls. the best way i found was to use SOS pads and westleys bleach white.

28. i have always used brake cleaner for the hard grim, then a brush and dawn for the rest.
    then again it always takes me for ever to clean my whites. sounds like im tryin simple green and magic erasers next time.

29. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I've always used westleys, but a friend just made me try Kaboom. It was amazing! He said to make sure you get the foaming kind and not the lemon scent.