Register now to get rid of these ads!

White Wall Tire Paint...... pros and cons.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Who has tried it?
    Who has had good (or bad) results with it?

There a 3 people selling it right now on E%@y that claim theirs is the best paint or their paint will cover more tires or their paint will outlast all the others up to 100,000 miles. No guaranty of course.

Is this stuff any good for a car thats only going 2 or 3000 miles per year?

Who has the best bang for the buck for those of us that cant swing the real deal?

2. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

all the ones ive seen turn yellow after about a month.

3. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Do a search of the HAMB, this has been discussed numerous times.

I used KILZ white primer on my tires and it seems to hold up well.

4. Squablow

Squablow

The tire paint is just snow seal put in a smaller can and marked up 50X the price. I bought a huge tub of it from Fleet Farm to do the tires on my '55 Dodge and they've held up real well over the past 4 years.

If the tires are new, don't even bother. There's so much of that brown mold-release in the tires that works its way out over the first year or so that you'll never get them to stay white. Even on used tires, you want to super scrub the shit out of the sidewalls with lots of lacquer thinner and rags until you can't pull any more brown up. Also helps to sand off the lettering with a DA and 80 grit on the areas you want to paint, looks better that way.

It also takes many coats. 4 at least, which you have to be careful on if you want to get a nice outer edge. Do it with the tires mounted to the rims so you don't get ruglyde all over them.

It does work and can look reasonably nice with a lot of effort but not much money. Grinding a set of RWL tires is a better method although it takes some practice and you need the right tires. Buying new Cokers is the way to go for a nice car and if you can afford it.

If you're considering porta-walls as an option, don't even bother, they're junk, they do not hold up at all to the flex of a radial sidewall.

5. Cruiser

Cruiser

oldcarfan - Save up some extra coin and buy some real white walls. White paint doesn't work that well, tires are made from oil and it bleeds through and turns the white yellow and will keep getting darker. Porty white walls will last longer then paint, I think Mooneyes carries the Porty white walls. Porty white walls are a simulated white wall ring that goes over the area where a true white wall would go. Good luck with your choice.....:D

CRUISER :cool:

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

The KILNZ was cheap too, maybe $10 for the quart. I tried the roof paint and it turned brown in a couple of days. The reason I bought the KILNZ is the can said it would seal off asphalt, if anything is going to bleed through it's asphalt. I painted it over the roof paint and it hasn't yellowed yet, 2+ years. It is starting to crack a little but I think that's because I applied it over the roof paint. I plan to scrub it off and reapply just the KILNZ

7. Graystoke

Graystoke

I often wondered if highway line paint would work.

8. I remember Higg had used the krylon plastic paint and it lasted hm a few years, if your doing this atleast smooth the side wall out a bit.

9. Do a search. It's been talked to death on here.

10. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

why are you telling me that?

not my thread.

11. Cruiser

Cruiser

Simple error pick up the wrong name , so relax and be cool. :D

CRUISER :cool:

12. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

ok thanks i was super upset and most likely would of lost sleep. :rolleyes:

13. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

Our experiance with the ratmaster (look it up on youtube) is that if you use flexible primer for doing plastic bumpers and just plain white base coat it works just fine ours has been on for 5 yrs now and is still as white as when we put it on alas i have to quit scrubbin the tires on the curbs will soon be time for some touch ups

Paul

14. rivguy

rivguy

Spraycan white primer. The tire in my avatar has been white for over three years.

15. Anyone have pictures of tires painted that way ? im from Argentina and i cant find white white heres becouse the laws here dont allow to import tires that arent "tested" or "aproved" by the goverment. I use Port O walls on my Falcon and it just suck, I want to paint the tires of my shoebox, and i dont want to use port o walls !!

16. Any special preparation needed before laying on the Kilz?

Wipe down with thinner or acetone?

Did you scuff it with some 80 or 180 grit?

I know it's Mickey Mouse but being kind of bucks-down presently I should be saving for Christmas presents for the family instead of tires for a car that's going to sit until next April.
    The Kilz paint or brand X whitewall paint I could sneak into the winter budget easily.
    Not 4 new tires.

17. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I washed the side of the tires a couple of times with laquer thinner and then applied the roof paint first, after it yellowed I applied the KILNZ. I didn't have a problem with either product adhereing, only the roof paint turning brown. If you read the KILNZ can it will tell you what it can be used on. I figured if it could be used on asphalt and not bleed through it would work on tires.

18. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

A friend with a -60 opel uses it, and he needs a touch-up once or twice a year. He uses car a lot. I did some testing about differents, and found the Boston shoe leather paint to be one of the best, but some work to get it on......many thin layers to cover the black. Some yellow/browning in a year.
    Easiest and cheapest was marking spraypaint to mark at pavement,etc. Remembering this also did stick quite well at grass, this was great! Sprayed after thinner/wash/scuffing, and hold quite white one year now. T
    Trouble with all budget whitewalls is scuffing at curbs , you need a touch-up.....

19. Painting Radial tires whould work ? becouse it flex a lot and i used roof paint and didnt went yellow but it cracked instantly only by the weight of the car :(

20. All Cons, and no Pros...except for the guys making money selling it...:rolleyes:

21. Thats for shure... fuck, i hate my country!!!!!

22. SINNER1

SINNER1

Ranger tire paint,is what i used on my 60 ford and held up nice.one of the tires started to crack a little and i just touched it up they look great.What i did was paint under the skinny white wall that was there and ya cant realy tell,the key is to spend some time clean and sand them real good,its cheap if you dont have the money for whites,about $9 bukss a can,check on line they have a site,it does remind me of Kilz primer though.

23. davis574ord

davis574ord

why dont u just save up and buy some real whitewalls?

24. 3034

Try white elastomeric roof paint (usually used on flat roofs) available by the gallon for cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. It sticks and stretches. The other is white rubber pool paint which is about the same stuff. Available at your local pool store.

It's all only paint though. That's what the ebay guys are pedaling.

25. mattlowe

mattlowe

i have used it from Fonzie i think , on Ebay

it works good and didnt yellow, but if your tires a dry rotted at all it will peal off.

[​IMG]

26. hep2jive

hep2jive
    from Chicago

My question is how can you get the paint on the tire so evenly around the edges?!

27. I used Fonzie's from Florida tire paint.
    I ground off the letters and numbers, sanded with 220 0n a DA. Later I prepped it with some chemical he recommended that I bought from Grainger's, then wiped it down with lacquer thinner.
    Put on 4 coats of Fonzie crap.
    It self destructed within 3 miles. Flaked off all along the perimeter of each tire.
    I basically wasted a beautiful set of nearly new radials.
    Their sitting in the basement now peeling with a nice shade of baby poop brown patina to further add to it's ugliness.

DON"T DO IT!
    It's crap!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  28. relentlessroller

relentlessroller
    from Milwaukee

I've got a buddy who got some rubber tire lettering kits after he got sick of dealing tire paint. He said they look good and have been holding up pretty well. Here's a link to the website he got em from www.ironcrossinnovations.com

If anyone else has tried these can you let me know what you think? I'm thinking about trying them myself.

29. pimtina

pimtina

Cool product but it's not a whitewall as far as I can tell.

30. elchapster420

elchapster420

I have tried the ''good old fashioned 2'' from ebay on bicycles and car tires.On car tires no good even whith good prep lots of yellowing.Then i was dissapointed with the cheap paint so i sprayed some light coat of h20 krylon primer over paint and on multiple tires new specially since a wanted to prove that primer is all it takes to keep em white and guess what still white bright after 2 months.I drive with my Camry every day to work thru highway and still kicking,I suggest you try any paint it will yellow in some time but spray primer on and see for yourself dont get fooled by that cheap paint on ebay and try better solutions for your old and classic looks on those tires